Stiffest Braided Line?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Stiffest Braided Line?

Post by DenhamBruce » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:12 am

I know lots of people like a limp braided line but I'm looking for the stiffest. Something that's wound very tight and has a round profile is what I prefer on a baitcaster. One I like a lot is Sunline FX2 but they don't have that in white and yellow which is what I'd prefer. Any thoughts on PP Maxcuatro? I'd like to hear some opinions. Thanks!

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Stiffest Braided Line?

Post by reason162 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Try the x4 J-braid. As "stiff" as original pp, but much rounder.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:50 am

Have you used the x4? If so, whats your initial impression of it? I was interested in getting some to try since I'm a big fan of J braid.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:08 am

I've never tried the J-Braid x4, but as for Stiffness, MaxCuatro is about as close to the stiffest that I have ever used. It does limp up abit after some use.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:51 am

DenhamBruce wrote:Have you used the x4? If so, whats your initial impression of it? I was interested in getting some to try since I'm a big fan of J braid.
I have 20lb x4 spooled up on 2 reels ready to go, but haven't fished them yet. I'm mainly looking for a rounder 4 carrier to avoid tip-wrapping while slack line jigging in saltwater. Original J braid is great, but too limp for this application...tip wraps galore, not fun on the kayak esp if you hook up in the meantime. X4 is undoubtedly rounder than pp, hopefully that means decent casting distance and no digging issues.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:18 pm

By stiff you mean a line than is densely woven, correct? I like Sufix 832 for its 8 strands and dense weave. Aside from discoloring the line retains a texture like new better than any other braid I have fished. Too many other braids I have fished get too soft and loose roundness over time. Power Pro Super 8 Slick was the worst offender of the modern 8 stand lines I have fished and 832 has been the best.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:38 pm

LowRange wrote:By stiff you mean a line than is densely woven, correct? I like Sufix 832 for its 8 strands and dense weave. Aside from discoloring the line retains a texture like new better than any other braid I have fished. Too many other braids I have fished get too soft and loose roundness over time. Power Pro Super 8 Slick was the worst offender of the modern 8 stand lines I have fished and 832 has been the best.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one. I guess a tighter braid is what I prefer. Perhaps Maxcuatro would be a better high end braid but I'm not a big fan of normal PP and don't know how the two compare. I've tried finding reviews on Maxcuatro but there isn't much.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:43 pm

DenhamBruce wrote:Pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one. I guess a tighter braid is what I prefer. Perhaps Maxcuatro would be a better high end braid but I'm not a big fan of normal PP and don't know how the two compare. I've tried finding reviews on Maxcuatro but there isn't much.
AFAIK maxcuatro is the improved pp, it's still a 4-carrier braid as opposed to 832 which is 8-carrier (though Lowrange is correct, it's probably the least "limp" out of the newer 8 carriers).

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:03 am

Of what I have used Sufix Performance braid it the stiffest. Ive only used the 20# though. Its also the noisiest and pretty rough feeling but weave stays tight.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:38 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Of what I have used Sufix Performance braid it the stiffest. Ive only used the 20# though. Its also the noisiest and pretty rough feeling but weave stays tight.
I like this one two. I use the #20 orange.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looks like its gonna be hard to find any 8 carrier braids but I think it makes sense as to why now.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:57 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Of what I have used Sufix Performance braid it the stiffest. Ive only used the 20# though. Its also the noisiest and pretty rough feeling but weave stays tight.
I believe the Performance Braid is a 4 carrier in 20#

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Bushido Combat 8 Braid is stiff. Almost like original Fireline, but it's 8 braided. Much stiffer than Daiwa J-Braid or Sufix Pro 8.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Thats absolutely worst braid i've ever tried!!! Horrible. Frays like after three hours use. Braids all over. Never again for sure. Another shitty is Spiderwire EZ Braid.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:01 am

I guess that my real question is basically what is the tightest wound braided line, since stiffness is determined by how tight the weave is.