Sufix Elite/Siege Opinions?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Sufix Elite/Siege Opinions?

Post by Hulkster » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:48 pm

Hi all, I am a bit old school and I am looking to try a new monofilament mainly on my spinning rigs. I used to be a die hard XL user but lately it seems it doesn't hold its strength well. I like Big Game but its a bit too stiff for spinning rigs.

Been reading lots of glowing reviews for Sufix Elite and Siege on both spinning and casting rigs. I do have one baitcasting rig (will be using 12 pound for this).

Any opinions on these lines? seems some people like Siege on spinning rigs others don't. but all like Elite. I don't mind a bit of memory if its extra strong. I would be using mainly 6, 8, 10 and 12 pound tests.

thanks everyone

-Hulk

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Sufix Elite/Siege Opinions?

Post by uljersey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:41 am

Long time user of both, but to be up front they're both leader material for me (see the "For braid users" thread for the explanation :lol: ) But even before that I had used both for main lines ...

I have zero complaints with either one. I was a long time XL user such as yourself but made the switch years ago.

One thing I will warn you about concerning the Siege, the glossy coating is slippery at times. Be diligent pulling your knots tight and make sure they ARE tight before cutting the tag. As for strength, behavior, and all of that I have no issues. It's served me very well for a long time.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:26 pm

I used Sufix Elite in an 8 lbs. test strength on a spinning reel before I moved on to braid and leaders. But, back when I did use it as my mainline, straight and no leaders, it was outstanding. I compared this to one of my friends who used one of the really popular big name monofilaments and the difference is remarkable. His mono felt like wire compared to the Sufix product.

Just a guess that the precision winding factors in a bit . . . where the Elite line is laid down uniformly.

*** I might mention that for spinning reels, be sure and reel it up coming off the line spool where it is coming off the "bottom," off the top, though, for a baitcaster. This way, for each case, any bias in the line it picks up (memory) from lying on the spool since its manufacture is in the same direction once it is on the reel.

I'd also stay light, 8 lbs. works great for almost every finesse application we throw on spinning gear. The Sufix Elite is very strong and it has relatively low stretch as monofilament lines go.

This is the one I'd use whenever I choose to use mono.

Brad

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:38 pm

I like it. Not much of a fan of non braids but Elite was reliable and well packaged line. It had a nice balance of durability, handling and memory.
Last edited by LowRange on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:03 am

Was my mono of choice before I discovered Sunline Defier.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:07 am

I can't speak to how it will do on spinning reels as I don't use them, but I've fished Sufix line for many years and can't speak on its general characteristics.

Both lines will have low to non-existent memory, due to how Sufix winds it. Imo this alone sets Sufix apart from other line manufacturers.
Both lines are rediculously strong. Stronger than big game. More reliable & consistent than big game from spool to spool.

Sufix elite: will be limper, like traditional monos, a tad more stretch than siege, and sacrifices a little distance for better handling. It behaves more like big game than siege does, but may be a little stiffer(been a long time since I fished big game). I consider this line great for beginners getting into baitcasting, as well as those who want a bit more relaxed mono, like topwater guys(even though I use siege for topwater).

Sufix siege: this line is stiffer, low stretch, and has amazing distance. Probably the farthest casting mono I've fished. But it almost fishes more like flouro than mono.
Only con is- the camo color version doesn't fish the same as the solid color versions. Dunno why, it just doesn't. Stick with solid colors.

I only have siege here, so I don't have the diameters for both(you can get them on tacklewarehouse). But I remember 14lb siege having the same diameter as 14lb big game. Overall its one of the larger diameter lines.

Sufix fluorocarbon: also my favorite fluorocarbon. Due to the winding, it has the lowest memory of any floro I've used. It casts great, handles great, tough as nails.
Only downside is that it isn't as 'invisible' as other floro brands.

Overall- Sufix is the sh*t, and I have no plans to ever switch to another brand.
Hope this helps.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Both are great lines IMO. I'm a long time user.

Elite is a bit more supple than Siege. Or you can say Siege is stiffer. Siege does seem to be more abrasion resistant.

Before I went to braid with leader for my spinning rods I used Elite as my line. I found it as manageable as Trilene XL yet stronger and more abrasion resistant.

Started with Elite on my casting reels. Made the move to Siege not because I was unhappy with the Elite. The Siege is more abrasion resistant yet still very manageable.

For a spinning rod/reel, I'd use Elite.

Defier is definitely softer than the same 'advertised' strength Elite. The thing is, the Elite is actually stronger than the rating by quite a bit whereas the Defier seems to be closer to the advertised strength.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:40 am

Truth. Sufix siege/elite/flouro is all much stronger than its ratings, and has great abrasion resistance.
In many cases I downsize my siege.

Anyone who's ever used Sufix & snagged their lure & given it the 'it'll either come loose or the line will break' test will attest to this. With 12lb siege & floruo, I can't 'just break it'. I mean I probably could, but the torque it puts on the reel & rod... You realize "oh sh*t this is kind of scary, I better just cut the line". :lol:

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:18 am

thanks everyone. im going to give the Sufix Elite a try on both spinning and baitcasting. I will post an update whenever the water up here thaws lol

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:32 pm

The diameters of Elite are much larger than Sunline Supernatural or Defier. IMO you are really buying 16-20lb line. Same with Senshi, Stren Original & Maganathin, Trilene XL. They are all smaller than for the same lb test by a lot in the same lb rating. Just saying.

ps. not saying it's a bad line, just a thick line for being a "better handling/casting line".

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:07 am

Finnz922 wrote:The diameters of Elite are much larger than Sunline Supernatural or Defier. IMO you are really buying 16-20lb line. Same with Senshi, Stren Original & Maganathin, Trilene XL. They are all smaller than for the same lb test by a lot in the same lb rating. Just saying.

ps. not saying it's a bad line, just a thick line for being a "better handling/casting line".
Which makes the argument for buying line based on it's diameter and not lb. test ratings, which we all know have little basis in reality anyhow with the exception of a select few IGFA rated lines.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:05 pm

Finnz922 wrote:The diameters of Elite are much larger than Sunline Supernatural or Defier. IMO you are really buying 16-20lb line. Same with Senshi, Stren Original & Maganathin, Trilene XL. They are all smaller than for the same lb test by a lot in the same lb rating. Just saying.

Most American line is larger diameter than Japanese line. With Sufix, the strength is higher than its rating, so you can down size & still get the same strength.

To the 'handling', it's more to do with how they manufacture the line & wind their spools, giving it almost no memory(if that's what you mean by handling). All of it handles great, regardless of diameter. If you mean behavior, Elite is more relaxed and limp, siege is stiffer.

As for those other American lines you mentioned, check objective reviews/tests on them(a few are here on TT). They don't hold a candle to Sufix, in handling, casting distance, memory, abrasion resistance, consistency from spool to spool, strength rating, stretch, etc.

Have you fished the siege? (Or elite?). It's ridiculously cheap, everyone should try it.

(Note to self: I need to contact Sufix about being sponsored, as mush as I hype their line I should be rewarded with some free spools or a shirt or something :lol: )

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Also- I know guys like the sunline stuff, and it's good line. I'm not trying to knock it.
I just didn't find it to be anything special. Lots of memory, some lines(can't remember which)were really fussy & I had some inconsistency between spools. And that line is WAY to expensive to have those issues.
I'm not playing the 'too expensive card', hell I fish $200+ fishing lures & am contemplating a $400 Roman made bait atm.
It's just... In my hands, Sufix is a superior product. The price is icing on the cake.
Maybe If I gave some of the various sunline lines another shot I might have a change of heart , but I'm more than happy now and don't see the reason to try. I honestly don't see what they can do better, and I've yet to hear anyone say what exactly it is about sunline that makes it so remarkable.

*edit: I do plan to try sunline braided lines this year. I don't love Sufix braid.