For you braid users...

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

For you braid users...

Post by papabassin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Over the last couple of seasons, I have been trying to use more braid. However, I find that I am just a lot more confident with fluorocarbon. My question is basically...how long is your leader? Does your leader length change on bottom contact applications vs moving bait applications (i.e. fishing a jig vs a chatterbait)? Or are the braid users throwing straight braid mostly? These questions are in regard to bait casting gear. Thanks in advance for any/all responses.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: For you braid users...

Post by jtgibso1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:00 pm

i'm mostly throwing straight braid. water clarity doesn't present much of an issue around here.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:10 am

jtgibso1 wrote:i'm mostly throwing straight braid. water clarity doesn't present much of an issue around here.
X2 when I do it's short.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:32 am

I use about a 2-3ft leader. I use it more for abrasion resistance than for the invisibility.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:34 am

I use 1-1.2 m(3-4ft) fc leader always ,very shy fish in clear water here

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:22 am

I like to use stiff fluoro leaders for jigs and worms and jerkbaits. I usually start with about a 6' leader and cut and retie a few times throughout the day until it is about 3' long then put a new one on. I use a Mono leader for most walking baits. I haven't found any benefit when using a leader with spinnerbaits/chatterbaits/weighted swimbaits.

DaveJ

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:57 pm

I fish gin clear spring fed creeks to muddy rivers, and always use a leader, usually 1-2' longer than the rod. Before a cast, the knot sits right in front of the reel and casts very well. I've tried straight braid several times, and it could be everything to do with confidence, but didn't get near the same number of bites. Only time I don't use a leader is fishing in thick grass.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:37 am

I target easily spooked trout in "tap water" clear streams and go straight braid. I get no more bites/fish when using a leader.

I used to be concerned about the color of the braid but have experienced similar catch rates with black, green, grey, white, and red braid.

tim_kovar
Angler
Angler

Post by tim_kovar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:45 am

Straight braid here. I have attempted to use a fluoro leaders but it just seems like the extra knot isn't worth all the hassle and has caused issues for me. Maybe I am not using the best knot, but I lost a couple fish and have been hesitant to monkey with it thereafter.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:56 am

I'm going to provide a middle of the road answer.

I do not use leaders but only in the last few years have I jumped from pure FC to pure braid and the braid I have confidence in is 30# moss green braid on my baitcasters. Prior to 2 to 3 years ago I had 40 and 50# braid on multiple reels and I'd swear my bite rate was lower then pure FC. As I dropped down to 30# green I can't see the stuff nor can the fish apparently.

I fish mostly Florida and it does have clear water but not very deep. If I'm fishing a jig or c-Rig in Kentucky lake, I likely go pure FC.

I have fished the 30# braid in shallow gin clear pond water without any impact on catch rates. the day after the election I had my first double digit bass (10# 2oz) on the 30# braid on Okeechobee and 5 days after Christmas I had one so big it would have eaten the 10'2. Again on braid. I have complete confidence in 30# braid in virtually any water. Now yellow line in 40# is a different story.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:07 pm

Adding to DavidSA, I will say that I only use 10 to 30# braid.
I have yet to fully comprehend why so many LM bass anglers use very thick (say 50#) braid - but I guess it comes down to special fishing techniques and very heavy vegetation etc.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:29 pm

Dalleinf wrote:Adding to DavidSA, I will say that I only use 10 to 30# braid.
I have yet to fully comprehend why so many LM bass anglers use very thick (say 50#) braid - but I guess it comes down to special fishing techniques and very heavy vegetation etc.
I also use braid in this range, with the 10 lb being for Australian bass and the 30 lb being for barramundi and other tropical fish. The 30 lb actually breaks at around 50 lb, and typically gets used with a 45 lb mono leader connected with a cinched down FG knot. 10 lb leader for the 10 lb braid. Reason for the leader is to improve abrasion resistance against rocks, oysters, teeth and gill rakers. Never fully understood the need for 50 lb braid for LM bass either.

Jdmbiggie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jdmbiggie » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:49 pm

I use braid with leader with the leader only going from the hook keeper to the spool. sometimes I like the leader only a rods length but just really depends on personal preference. uni to uni or Albright knot depends on the user, but that's just how it works for me so don't quote me on it. more practice bud :D

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:34 am

something I should have mentioned is that I tried fishing 20 or 30# braid many years ago on baitcasters and wind knots were terrible. Heavier braid caused less issues. It was not until I started fishing Shimano Metaniums did I find I could throw 30# braid on them a very long distance and rarely if ever have a wind knot.

When using smaller diameter braid with a leader (which I rarely to never do), I do find you need more wraps on the back to back uni-knot as the lower diameter braid can slip easily off the large diameter FC or Mono.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:15 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:I like to use stiff fluoro leaders for jigs and worms and jerkbaits. I usually start with about a 6' leader and cut and retie a few times throughout the day until it is about 3' long then put a new one on. I use a Mono leader for most walking baits. I haven't found any benefit when using a leader with spinnerbaits/chatterbaits/weighted swimbaits.

DaveJ
This is what I do for the most part. A lot of time, I'm tying direct with jigs & worms. Water clarity in the Delta doesn't really require a leader as the water is typically stained.

Dallinf, where I'm fishing, heavy rods are required to turn the fish before they bury in the weeds. Using too light a line will result in break offs on the hookset. Typically using 30lb - 50lb on most bottom contact & 65lb on punching set up. This is for casting rods.