For you braid users...

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: For you braid users...

Post by uljersey » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:39 am

I'm definitely in the minority here ... I run very long (10'- 12') leaders of mono. Been doing this for years with no ill effects. I fish from a kayak, I don't have the luxury of having 5+ rigs with me, a long leader allows many bait changes until I get dialed in. I like the "shock absorbtion" mono gives, especially on moving reaction baits.

I know many of you are scratching your heads wondering "WTF is he thinkng ??" :lol: but all I can tell you is it's been working for me very well for years now. I tried to like FC, I really did, but I absolutely hate the stuff. I tried several brands of it, I realize it's a crowd favorite but it's just not for me.

I don't fish ultra slow presentations, worms are about as slow as I go and I have no problem with feeling what's going on, detecting bites or setting the hook. On my crank rod I can bomb a 5/8 lipless into next week, get bit right away and get the fish into the yak. I do just as well with jerks, flukes and tubes, and on down to my UL rigs. I don't do the eye crossing hookset thing either, that's what sharp hooks are for.

Send me all of your Sufix mono if you'd like :big grin:

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:37 pm

For spinners...A leader long enough to keep the knot off the spool. Otherwise even with an FG or PR knot...it can tangle on the first guide......Doesn't matter what kind of guide either....Torzite or Ags.....usually ends up in a damaged connection.

Baitcasters. Long enough to make sense. I don't want to have to retie my line to line join mid session. So usually 5-10 feet.

Shorter for spinnerbaits and swim jigs if toothy bastages are near

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:49 pm

I use a few feet of leader for abrasion resistance. It helps with confidence to believe that the fish see no obvious line connecting you to the bait but that is to believe that fish understand tool useage and the idea of anglers.