Braid that casts well without digging in

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Braid that casts well without digging in

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Is there a specific type of super braid that casts well on a bait casting reel without digging in and causing backlashes? I often have this problem after battling a hard fighting fish or after pulling against a snagged lure. I imagine this may be partially size of line related as well. I'm looking for something in the 30 lb. class that might cast nearly as smoothly as monofilament. If necessary I can always go up in line size.

Thanks for any thoughts you are willing to provide,

Susitnasalmonguide
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Braid that casts well without digging in

Post by KlingerNOK » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:25 pm

It's my belief that all braid will dig in a bit after a snag or hard fighting fish, but some are definitely worse than others.
The absolute worst braid I've had in regards to digging in and causing backlashes every few casts is J-Braid. After a couple trips I ripped that stuff off my reel and replaced it. Unbelievably frustrating trying to fling a topwater at busting smallies only to be rewarded with a short, violent, midcast backlash. Repeatedly.
The braid I keep going back to is Sufix 832. I use the 30lb with a short mono leader for bombing walking baits.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:08 am

IMO there are two major factors, line size and the speed at which the reel worm drive travels across the spool. There are a few reels out there that try to directly address this in a PE model like the zillion. Lighter braids have dug in more for me and i dont seem to have that issue above 30lb on a bait caster

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:37 am

Seaguar Smackdown. Some of it has to do with the coating on the line, or lack there of. I really like Smackdown in this regard. Very smooth and flows off the spool nicely. Trying to free a snag will always result in line dig to some degree. The absolute worst I've ever used was Fireline. Of course that's a fused line.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:27 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Seaguar Smackdown. Some of it has to do with the coating on the line, or lack there of. I really like Smackdown in this regard. Very smooth and flows off the spool nicely. Trying to free a snag will always result in line dig to some degree. The absolute worst I've ever used was Fireline. Of course that's a fused line.

I am a Smackdown fan as well; however the worst experience I ever had with braid was with 20 lb. Smackdown. It's supposed to be super thin and it sure is. It constantly dug in and backlashed, and broke off multiple times in one trip. Never again. Running 30 lb. on my light jig and worm setup and that seems to be working ok.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:57 pm

cortman wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Seaguar Smackdown. Some of it has to do with the coating on the line, or lack there of. I really like Smackdown in this regard. Very smooth and flows off the spool nicely. Trying to free a snag will always result in line dig to some degree. The absolute worst I've ever used was Fireline. Of course that's a fused line.

I am a Smackdown fan as well; however the worst experience I ever had with braid was with 20 lb. Smackdown. It's supposed to be super thin and it sure is. It constantly dug in and backlashed, and broke off multiple times in one trip. Never again. Running 30 lb. on my light jig and worm setup and that seems to be working ok.
I've never had digging issues with most any light test braid, but some do. I also bumped up to 30 as the 20 would occasionally break off.

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks for all they replies. I already have some 30 lb. suffix 832 that I have been using on spinning rods -- so hearing from at least one person about that one I may try it first. I also was considering some heavier power pro maxcuatro.
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Susitnasalmonguide wrote:Thanks for all they replies. I already have some 30 lb. suffix 832 that I have been using on spinning rods -- so hearing from at least one person about that one I may try it first. I also was considering some heavier power pro maxcuatro.

I've been running 65# Maxcuatro for about 2 months now and so far so good. I had to switch to it as my Exsence DC had a small spool capacity when using 65# OG Power Pro. I was hitting the knot with each cast. Switched to Maxcuatro in 65# (about 12# mono diameter) and it fixed that problem.

I haven't had near the issues with digging in that I have had with J-Braid in 30#.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:07 am

A highly cylindrical (round) braid will be less likely to dig in than one that is not. I'd recommend staying away from 4 carrier braids in the #30 test and opt for a quality 8 carrier braid, of which there are many to choose from. I use Sufix 832 and Daiwa J-Braid and have no dig-in related complaints.
Hogsticker2 wrote:The absolute worst I've ever used was Fireline. Of course that's a fused line.
It's actually a terrible 4 carrier braid. I believe the fused nature of the line is the fusing of the fibers within each carrier. The finished product is a 4 carrier braid with a horrible low density per inch weave that allows the line to be very malleable and commonly unwinds over time producing a line with 4 stands laying side by side. I fished the stuff for years before I discovered better braids. I always thought the durability of the fused strands was very good and it is unfortunate they were not able to weave it into a more densely woven product.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dyY_s82ZamY/U ... adwork.jpg

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:48 am

following

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:27 pm

30# seems to be the dividing line on braid for me. Below 30# I won't put on a baitcaster. I also notice that the baitcaster itself makes a big difference. I'm using 30# original power pro without issue on my core bottom bouncing reels which are all Shimano Metaniums. I have had some breakoff issues but some pointers from several guys here on the board appears to have eliminated that.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:36 am

I never had a problem with dig ins.

From 5oz bfs setups to 20+oz reels throwing rigs well over 100 yards

It all comes down to spooling tight initially. And making sure retrieves are done under constant tension.

I've never seen one braid perform poorly on a baitcaster. I actually prefer some courser flatter braids in heavy cover applications. And that usually means 3 to 4 new braids tried a year over the course of 20 years

It's like a common complaint with bails slamming shut in long range heavy spinning applications. And wind knots.
make an adjustment and you'll never have a problem. And once you make the adjustment enough it becomes permanent and you do it without thinking.

If dig ins were a problem with the reel and braid. It would happen all the time

If you thumb out a snag yeah you need to take it easy on the next cast. If you set the hook on a log 10' from the boat don't make a hero cast as a follow up.

If throwing glide baits or big spooks monitor your slack line takeup

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:39 am

LowRange wrote:A highly cylindrical (round) braid will be less likely to dig in than one that is not. I'd recommend staying away from 4 carrier braids in the #30 test and opt for a quality 8 carrier braid, of which there are many to choose from. I use Sufix 832 and Daiwa J-Braid and have no dig-in related complaints.
Hogsticker2 wrote:The absolute worst I've ever used was Fireline. Of course that's a fused line.
It's actually a terrible 4 carrier braid. I believe the fused nature of the line is the fusing of the fibers within each carrier. The finished product is a 4 carrier braid with a horrible low density per inch weave that allows the line to be very malleable and commonly unwinds over time producing a line with 4 stands laying side by side. I fished the stuff for years before I discovered better braids. I always thought the durability of the fused strands was very good and it is unfortunate they were not able to weave it into a more densely woven product.

Fireline is a braid?????? I must have gotten a few thousand yards of a limited edition non woven version

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:08 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:I never had a problem with dig ins.

From 5oz bfs setups to 20+oz reels throwing rigs well over 100 yards

It all comes down to spooling tight initially. And making sure retrieves are done under constant tension.

I've never seen one braid perform poorly on a baitcaster. I actually prefer some courser flatter braids in heavy cover applications. And that usually means 3 to 4 new braids tried a year over the course of 20 years

It's like a common complaint with bails slamming shut in long range heavy spinning applications. And wind knots.
make an adjustment and you'll never have a problem. And once you make the adjustment enough it becomes permanent and you do it without thinking.

If dig ins were a problem with the reel and braid. It would happen all the time

If you thumb out a snag yeah you need to take it easy on the next cast. If you set the hook on a log 10' from the boat don't make a hero cast as a follow up.

If throwing glide baits or big spooks monitor your slack line takeup
Good post.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:09 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:A highly cylindrical (round) braid will be less likely to dig in than one that is not. I'd recommend staying away from 4 carrier braids in the #30 test and opt for a quality 8 carrier braid, of which there are many to choose from. I use Sufix 832 and Daiwa J-Braid and have no dig-in related complaints.

Fireline is a braid?????? I must have gotten a few thousand yards of a limited edition non woven version
Fireline does have a braid. The original I use to use back in the day is indeed a fused line.