Best braid out there?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best braid out there?

Post by Frosty » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:29 pm

I don't use often, and last year used Power Pro super slick...is it still the best option? I'm thinking about Suffix, Sunline, and anything highly recommended...

I'm really interested in the new YGK G-Soul SS112 sinking braid, since I fish 95% bottom contact. Any experience with it or braid in general helpful!!

BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best braid out there?

Post by BassFisher83 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Daiwa Samurai Braid is my personal favorite. I also spooled one combo with Maxima based off some suggestions from other TT members about half way through last year. So far I am liking it very much.

tim_kovar
Angler
Angler

Post by tim_kovar » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:37 pm

My favorite is Seaguar smackdown.

I actually just bought some of that YGK Soul braid you mentioned through the tackle warehouse recently. My favorite braid was Toray Bawo Finesse Braid, but is no longer made. I was thinking this maybe was a new version of it possible or something. I don't think I bought the sinking version you mentioned though. When I received it I was expecting a normal green colored braid like the picture, but it was more like lime green or almost yellowish color. The line seemed super smooth and very small diameter for its rating, but I was looking for a true green so it went back.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:33 pm

I was thinking about trying that maxima braid but haven't gotten around to it. You don't want to use daiwa samurai for anything but flipping grass(because it is so quiet when yo yo-ing in a mat). It is also too limp and doesn't cast well, easily backlashes and tangles, etc. etc. I have this on good authority from my own experience and from guys fishing the two professional circuits. Stiffer braids are much better for long casting and line control(ie power pro).

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Lighter tests Maxima
Heavier tests Smackdown

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 pm

I think PPS8S is at the top. Its quieter smoother and stronger than same dia. smackdown and less cost.
I bought the G-soul X-8 & Samurai just havent used them yet. Did notice that .012 rated G-soul is thicker than .012 rated Samurai. Not sure which is not rated correctly.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:22 pm

My favorite is Power pro maxcuatro. The only downside is the lowest lb test is 20lb, and it's fairly expensive.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:46 pm

I use Sufix 832 on my typical bass finesse set up, usually 10 lbs. test with a junction knot tying on a short leader of 8 lbs. Seaguar Invizx. The yellow color I have reeled on now is great for watching lines. And, it runs quietly through the line guides under pressure.

On a finesse rig using ultralight gear and super light lures, I just spooled up Sufix Nanobraid in 2 lbs. test. It is extremely fine at .001" diameter. But, I thought I'd mention that it is available up to 14 lbs. test with a still incredibly thin .008" diameter. This is a traditional true braided line, not like Berkley Nanofil (I like it, too) which is not braided. I don't know of any other braids made with strength to diameter ratios like this.

I want to give this 14 lbs. Nanofil a go next time on my larger spinning reels.

Too, I want to experiment with one of the sinking braids for some applications.

I have had such good luck with Sufix braids and also their super great monofilament, Elite, so I am sold on the quality. I know there are other good companies, too. And, for fluorocarbons, Seaguar tops out with its Tatsu (very expensive!) but what I like about it as a source for this line is I know it manufactures its own resins, doesn't out-source for materials, and I think this really ensures a higher lever of quality control.

Brad

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:43 am

Thanks for all the experiences and opinions guys. I'm leaning very heavy towards Sunline SX1 (spinning) and TX1 possibly on a casting rod as the 24 pound I believe was very thin...that and figured I would try two types. The SX1 is uncoated, apparently coating can rub off, and the material itself is very slick/smooth...sounds cool, while the TX1 is coated with silicone molecules. I figure I'd try both. They had the best reviews I could find, and a local guy here recommended it. The second and third most recommended I got are Suffix 832 and Daiwa 8 strand J-Braid. Although I think there are about 5 or 6 lines that I probably couldn't go wrong with. I'm just excited to try something new. I threw braid on a spinning reel in 2015 and that was late in the year, so I've only fished braid a few times.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:11 pm

jpmoney wrote:My favorite is Power pro maxcuatro. The only downside is the lowest lb test is 20lb, and it's fairly expensive.
Ya but 20# is like 4# mono

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:54 pm

Been using Sufix 832 for years and it has never given me any problems at all. Have tried a few other brands (Smackdown, Jbraid, Samarai) and always seem to go back to 832. That said, I just picked up some Maxcuatro to try and it feels great on the spool.

MULEY
Angler
Angler

Post by MULEY » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:41 am

50-60lb sunline FX2 flipping , pitching , frogging and the SX1 40 -10lb . By far best braid I've spooled .

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:30 pm

I use sufix 832 for swimbaits and its been excellent.
Seaguar is my choice for everything else.

I tried the sunline tx1 and its horrible in every way, it frays really bad.... its really the only braid I hated.

Maxima is also a really good line.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Difficult one as we all have different applications
Samurai was great,however too limp for certain applications
Maxima has all the positive of Samurai without the limpness
Depends on what floats your boat....
For me,I'm happy with maxima as a general purpose line
Nothing wrong with suffix BTW
Happiness is a sore thumb

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:39 pm

I really like the Maxcuatro 20#, but I wish it was available in the same aqua green (easier to see) as PPSS8.