How Much Braid?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

How Much Braid?

Post by Greg64 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:32 am

I'm going to spool some braid on several spinning reels and have a question.

How do you divide a spool of brain among several reels. For example, majority of "bulk" spools of braid max out at 300 yards. So, if I'm going to divide that spool among 4 reels, how do I measure out 75 yards per reel?

Also, do most of you use some type of inexpensive mono as a backing?

Please advise.

Thanks

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: How Much Braid?

Post by adam lancia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:03 am

I haven't tried this, but I would think the easiest method would be to use an excel file to estimate the amount of each line you'll need (PM me with your email address for it) and a line counter that you can mount on a rod. I've used this excel file but I haven't added a line counter into the equation yet, though I'd like to in the near future. That'll probably be a winter project.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:32 am

adam lancia wrote:I haven't tried this, but I would think the easiest method would be to use an excel file to estimate the amount of each line you'll need (PM me with your email address for it) and a line counter that you can mount on a rod. I've used this excel file but I haven't added a line counter into the equation yet, though I'd like to in the near future. That'll probably be a winter project.
This is how I do it. A bunch of complicated calculations based on line diameter and a Berkley rod mounted line counter. When you get it right it is spot on, makes it pretty easy to get the last bit out of your spool.

Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Greg64 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:50 am

PM sent, Adam.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:03 pm

Walk it off on a football field or use a line counter to accurately divide it between several reels. Instead of trying to calculate how much backing to use just spool the braid first, then tie a connection knot and add your choice of backing until the spool is full. Tie the end to something secure and walk off all the line. I like to just loosen the drag until I can walk it off easy but still have tension. Cut the end of the backing loose you tied with and tie it on your spool. Tighten the drag and keep tension and reel it all on the reel. Now you have exactly the backing you need on the reel so that the amount of braid you spool fills it. Just tie on your lure(and leader if you want) and go fishing. I rarely fish braid but when I do i use Berkley trilene big game because it's inexpensive but still a very strong line with good abrasion resistance in my experience. I buy it in bulk spools and also use it on my cranking reels.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:25 am

timsford wrote:Walk it off on a football field or use a line counter to accurately divide it between several reels. Instead of trying to calculate how much backing to use just spool the braid first, then tie a connection knot and add your choice of backing until the spool is full. Tie the end to something secure and walk off all the line. I like to just loosen the drag until I can walk it off easy but still have tension. Cut the end of the backing loose you tied with and tie it on your spool. Tighten the drag and keep tension and reel it all on the reel. Now you have exactly the backing you need on the reel so that the amount of braid you spool fills it. Just tie on your lure(and leader if you want) and go fishing. I rarely fish braid but when I do i use Berkley trilene big game because it's inexpensive but still a very strong line with good abrasion resistance in my experience. I buy it in bulk spools and also use it on my cranking reels.
This is the correct technique. You will end up with the right amount of backing such that you won't have to do this again unless you decide to change the backing (don't know why you'd do that). And you'll get an exactly filled spool. The calculation method looks good on paper - and line counters seem like a nice idea - but line diameter and line counters are rarely accurate enough to end up with positive results. Put in the work to do it physically and you'll never be unhappy again. You'll also find out that many 300 yard spools aren't quite to the level of a full 300 yards! I've seen as much as a 20% discrepancy (never in my favor).
www.FlyFishOhio.com - Fly Fishing And More!

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:07 am

there isn't any reason to put on backing...

spinning reels perform best when loaded with full braid....

with the amount of money folks on this site spend on rods and reels, it is a weak argument to use backing for cost savings.

there isn't any performance improvements by backing.

however, there is great performance improvements by using full braid on the spool (much better casting).

cheers,
1-2%

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:54 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:there isn't any reason to put on backing...

with the amount of money folks on this site spend on rods and reels, it is a weak argument to use backing for cost savings.

however, there is great performance improvements by using full braid on the spool (much better casting).

cheers,
What is the difference Steve? I'm trying to conceptualize it and I'm unable to see what difference it makes. I rarely, if ever, get down into my backing when using a reel with braid on it, especially a spinning reel.

I don't think the argument for backing is that it's as big a cost savings as buying high end gear used, but for some anglers (myself included) who don't fish often enough to wear out braid over a season, the cost savings of being able to buy 1 filler spool and spool 2-3 reels is what makes it attractive, for me at least.

I look forward to your input, thanks in advance!

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:40 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:there isn't any reason to put on backing...

cheers,
1. What is the reasoning behind this statement? Seems like on a spinning reel using backing/no backing would make even less difference than a casting reel.
2. Many of us save and save and save for the high end rods and/or reels we do own. Maybe the way we can afford them is by saving money on line. :)
3. I've used 100% braid and used braid/backing. No discernible difference to me.
Thanks

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:22 am

fair questions. :)

I come from the opposite side. I don't see any benefit to put on backing. I use spinning reels/rods a lot more than most folks. I use them for poppers, jerk baits, senko's .... always have four spinning outfits on the boat .... and I don't drop shot :)

So with that said, there are many times I cast a distance longer than a short flip. If you fill a reel with backing, and say put on 50' of leader (or even as much as 100') the casting itself wont' be as fluid. Won't cast as far. Generally won't cast as accurately.

Tough for me to "prove it", when we are talking intangible things such as "fluid", "smooth", or "accurate". Not black and white.

So I understand someone saying, well, that isn't concrete enough for me to stop putting backing on. I come from the other side. I use spinning a ton, and find performance increases with full braid spools, and no performance increases with backing.

Unless your talking 4000 size spinning reels, the line capacity just isn't that much. So putting on backing isn't even much of a cost savings....

I fish other species, including great lakes trolling, where we fill reels with 1500' of straight braid.....in those cases, I could understand putting on mono backing (although I don't). A simple bass rod/reel, I don't see any reason to put on backing.

Try setting up two reels, one with backing, and one without....see if you notice any difference in casting...I think you will. :D

edit: scroll to the bottom of this post to see my "mix" of setups to see where I'm coming from.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 5&start=60
1-2%

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:56 am

I don't use backing on anything but my fly reels, and that is pretty much a necessity . When I spool up with braid and have gotten one end all nasty I simply switch ends. Now the burried braid and the nasty braid have switched positions. With a mono backing I would need to store the 50% of braid I planned on using anyway. And I need to purchase the mono... I don't personally see any benefit to backing on spinning or casting.
To remove and count line I have a used Power Pro spool that is 11". I press fit (you could glue or tape) a rod through the center hole and chuck it up in a variable speed drill. I run the RPMs at whatever speed I can count rotations.
I seem to be constantly moving line around and this works the best for me.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:47 am

Of course, the Angler of the Year last year, Aaron Martens, made quite a controversial statement in a video when he mentioned that he used braid backer on all of his bait casters and most of his spinning reels. What he was saying was that he puts this on before a very long castable length of fluorocarbon. The amount of fluoro would exceed anything he'd cast off the reel by a good amount so he used just a simple overhand knot as a junction between the braid backer and the fluoro. Anyway, I wanted to communicate clearly here that he wasn't talking about a 6 ft. leader, say for drop shotting.

Martens says the braid is lighter and allows the spool to spin "quicker and easier" and adds significantly to casting distance for tossing crankbaits and also helps flipping and pitching.

It isn't likely a money issue either since he has line sponsors and gets all the line he needs I suspect. And, since he makes a living, a danged good one as a pro bass fisherman, I suspect that if it didn't really work, he wouldn't do it.

I suspect that the braid being so light does perhaps aid the rotation. And, I also suspect that having a bit less of the more unruly fluoro on a spool might add some value.

For spinning reels, since braid backer wouldn't be "springy" I suppose it might let the fluoro come off the reel a bit cleaner. It can't have anything to do spool speed since they are fixed.

For the reverse situation (braid on the outside) comparing all braid versus a mono backer then a braid mainline, as long as the braid wound on a spinning reel line spool greatly exceeds the amount cast off, I think this would be dubious. However, just because I can't imagine why it might be so, that all braid casts farther, doesn't mean that there isn't something to it.

This one should be pretty easy to check with a few test runs casting all braid versus backer and braid.

Brad

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:50 am

Adam, Cortman, have either of you had an opportunity to test out my suggestion?

Would be curious as to your thought(s).
1-2%

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:35 pm

Years ago, when braid came out, I spooled it on my spinning reels without backing and had the whole spool of line spin together as a whole. Using mono as backing or a strip of electric tape fixed this issue and I have used both methods since. Are some of you putting straight braid on without backing or tape?

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:46 am

no.

have to use some tape, or a couple wraps of mono...
1-2%