anyone breaking braid on hookset

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: anyone breaking braid on hookset

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:01 am

When I fish a lighter braid like you're describing, I always opt to tie twice. By this, I mean that I tie to the hook, swing the knot to the gap and cut it off flush, leaving the knot at that gap. Then, I re-tie and that keeps my line from getting stuck in that gap and possibly breaking off on the hookset. The VMC hooks with resin-closed eyes are very nice in that this is unnecessary. I have used and like that particular hook in the light-wire variant with excellent results. With a light drag setting, there's no worries at all about break-offs on the set.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:49 am

Lighter braid can be very bad at breaking on hooksets due because the lack of stretch gives makes it bad at sudden impact or shock breaking. With 20 lb braid I was always breaking off on hooksets, 12 lb flouro is stronger than 20 or 30 lb braid on impact in my experience because of the added stretch. However at 50 lb or higher test braid I have no issues breaking off on hard hooksets.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:17 am

yeah, as I have learned :lol: but gone are those days for me (fingers crossed). A tip I should have picked up on is I never break braided line on my spinning gear and I go down to 15#. Reason is the rod is softer and I don't set the hook as hard. With a 4 powered baitcaster apparently I can surpass the limits.

I should have mentioned that I landed a 27 inch (12.5# bass) this past week on my 30# braid. Huge confidence in this line;;; bite drops for me at 40# and higher. I had a 9.5# the day after the election and the fish last week was unreal; looked far bigger. When it jumped the first time looked like a literal mailbox flying out of the water.