Nanofil Discontinued ?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Nanofil Discontinued ?

Post by Markanthony404 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:39 pm

Does anyone know if Berkley has discontinued Nanofil? A couple of local retailers here in pa have been selling it for 50% off and I found 1 place that was giving away the 2 lb and 4 lb away for $0.97. I love this line and I would hate to see it go.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (57.77 KiB) Viewed 10134 times

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Nanofil Discontinued ?

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:01 am

Large discounts are often just used to move merchandise that isn't selling. I see nothing, yet, that suggests it is being removed from the market, but big discounts tells us one thing: it isn't selling as well as the retailers want.

I like the line, too, and I wonder if perhaps it was "over-sold" when it was first introduced, you know, the greatest line of all time sort of publicity. That almost always brings out the dissenters, even nasty posts by competitors hiding behind individual posts that appear unbiased.

Hey! I haven't tried it yet but Sufix has a nano-braid or some name like that with very small diameters. This might be a good one to check on if Nanofil disappears.

Brad

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:42 am

Very subjective, but I experimented a lot of breakage when I tryed this line, and I wont use that on my reel's anymore.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:22 pm

fati wrote:Very subjective, but I experimented a lot of breakage when I tryed this line, and I wont use that on my reel's anymore.
I agree. I bought a spinning reel spooled with 10lb nanofil and I broke off at least ten times the first trip I used it. I broke off fish on a small popper, hard jerkbaits, light Texas rigged plastics, and small crankbaits. All broke off on the hookset. I was so mad because it was the only rod I had with me that day and i was on a killer bite. I don't get a single fish in big enough to be a keeper and that line ended up costing me a Sammy 65, 2 pointer sp jerkbaits, and a couple packs of tungsten weights and gammy hooks. My last straw was when I broke off 2 of my prized old style yo zuri pins minnows. I tried setting the hook every way possible but I either broke off or was too scared to set hard enough and lost fish. I lleft and tied it to a fence at home and any hookset that put quick pressure broke the line. I just sweep and reel with trebles and still lost way to many expensive baits. It wasn't the knot pulling loose or abrasion from a damaged rod guide, it was clean breaks within inches of the knot every single time.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:36 pm

I don't know how you broke so many fish on 10lb. nanofil. Maybe buying the reel with the line already on it had something to do with it. I've went out and caught fish after fish after fish on 10lb. nanofil and haven't had many break offs. Once in a while, mainly from being lazy and not re-tieing, then trying to flip a fish in the boat it's broke on me. It casts farther than any other braid, and if you live up north, doesn't freeze up on the spool as bad as traditional woven or fused lines. I hope they keep making it because it's about all I use on spinning setups. I've heard Gliss is the closest thing to nanofil. They are both lines where you need to work up a knot before you go fishing with them to avoid slipping. I've always used a palomar, but a friend insists on a doubled uni knot.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:59 pm

timsford wrote:It wasn't the knot pulling loose or abrasion from a damaged rod guide, it was clean breaks within inches of the knot every single time.
I'm guessing that you made this diagnosis because the end of the line did not have a curly "pigtail" like one can get in nylon monofilament that has slipped through a knot. But maybe Nanofil doesn't curl as it slips through a knot configuration. Maybe the knot cut itself. What knot(s) did you use?

I've had good performance fishing 6 and 8 lb. Nanofil using the double Palomar knot Berkley recommends--straightened some Aberdeen jig hooks pulling panfish jigs off wood.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:25 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
timsford wrote:It wasn't the knot pulling loose or abrasion from a damaged rod guide, it was clean breaks within inches of the knot every single time.
I'm guessing that you made this diagnosis because the end of the line did not have a curly "pigtail" like one can get in nylon monofilament that has slipped through a knot. But maybe Nanofil doesn't curl as it slips through a knot configuration. Maybe the knot cut itself. What knot(s) did you use?

I've had good performance fishing 6 and 8 lb. Nanofil using the double Palomar knot Berkley recommends--straightened some Aberdeen jig hooks pulling panfish jigs off wood.
I bought some when it first came out, to use on a spinning reel with a fluoro leader, and to use straight for some stuff, since it was supposed to be so small that it could be fished without a leader.
On my spinning setup, I had my Albright knot break the 6 lb nanofil when I pulled it tight in the boat. I wet the line before I slowly drew it tight. It broke right at the knot. After having a few attempts break, I got one to hold, but it broke on a fish.
I tried some heavier nanofil (I can't remember, but it was the heaviest TW sold at the time) on a very smooth casting setup, and again had numerous breakoffs in the boat when tying on with a palomar knot.
Maybe I was tying bad knots, maybe it was just some bad line, but I had had such a bad experience with Vanish in the past that I took it back off those reels, and gave the rest of the line away.
I went back to my old Stren Super Braid.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:38 am

I honestly believe with this line many "breaks" are really just the knot slipping. If you can find a good knot, and aren't fishing over jagged rocks(poor abrasion resistance), this line will outcast any line made period(on a spinning reel).

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:23 am

Somewhere else, a different Nanofil thread, I mentioned watching a video where a man determined a fool-proof knot for this slick line. If I recall, he used a double San Diego Jam knot. He showed attempts to break it at the knot, it didn't, and said that he had tested the knot 15 or so times before and it only broke at the knot once.

Since the fibers are not braided but straight and fused, it makes sense that the line would have some issues. It is very popular with panfishermen.

*** Hey! For a really, really tiny true braided line, try Sufix Nanobraid. It is available down to .001" diameter for 2 lbs. test and all the way up to around 14 as I recall with a diameter of .008". For a comparison, Sufix 832 Braid in 10 lbs. test is .008". Nanofil's 12 lbs. test is .008" so Nanobraid is the thinnest.

14 lbs. Nanobraid would be the equivalent in size to 4 lbs. monofilament.

So, for most it can never be anything more than finesse line and at those tiny diameters, best for spinning reels.

Brad

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:35 am

Back in early 2015, I got a spool of 4lb. Nanofil for $1.00 at Kittery Trading Post and thought I hit the jackpot. It's a good line and casts quite far, but right now it sits on a backup spool. I should probably use it more often. How does it compare to Gliss?

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:47 am

Big-Bass wrote:Back in early 2015, I got a spool of 4lb. Nanofil for $1.00 at Kittery Trading Post and thought I hit the jackpot. It's a good line and casts quite far, but right now it sits on a backup spool. I should probably use it more often. How does it compare to Gliss?
I have 6# & 8# nanofil and 40# gliss. I havent got to use the gliss yet but have tested a few knots that same as my Nanofil. My 6# Nano holds to 9# and 8#Nano holds to 12# with version of fish-n-fool knot. So knots hold above rated strength. My 40# gliss with same knot only holds to low 20 pound knot strength. With palomar knot strengths are worse across all three line.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:05 pm

Brad in Texas wrote:Somewhere else, a different Nanofil thread, I mentioned watching a video where a man determined a fool-proof knot for this slick line. If I recall, he used a double San Diego Jam knot. He showed attempts to break it at the knot, it didn't, and said that he had tested the knot 15 or so times before and it only broke at the knot once.

Since the fibers are not braided but straight and fused, it makes sense that the line would have some issues. It is very popular with panfishermen.

*** Hey! For a really, really tiny true braided line, try Sufix Nanobraid. It is available down to .001" diameter for 2 lbs. test and all the way up to around 14 as I recall with a diameter of .008". For a comparison, Sufix 832 Braid in 10 lbs. test is .008". Nanofil's 12 lbs. test is .008" so Nanobraid is the thinnest.

So, for most it can never be anything more than finesse line and at those tiny diameters, best for spinning reels.

Brad
I'll have to look into that line. I need an ultra small diameter braid for my Pixy DIY spool. I've got that reel on 7'6'' L powered rod and it keeps spooling the reel of #10 nanofill long before the bait hits the water.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:14 am

LowRange wrote:
Brad in Texas wrote:Somewhere else, a different Nanofil thread, I mentioned watching a video where a man determined a fool-proof knot for this slick line. If I recall, he used a double San Diego Jam knot. He showed attempts to break it at the knot, it didn't, and said that he had tested the knot 15 or so times before and it only broke at the knot once.

Brad
I'll have to look into that line. I need an ultra small diameter braid for my Pixy DIY spool. I've got that reel on 7'6'' L powered rod and it keeps spooling the reel of #10 nanofill long before the bait hits the water.
I fished it today. Yesterday, I had 2lbs. SOS mono on my new Stradic Ci4+ 1000 series and it worked well. Last night, I trimmed off a piece of the frayed end of it, then a bit more, to make room to spool on about 75 yards of the Sufix Nanobraid. So, in effect, I have a very long piece of backer, then more braid than I could cast off. I threw a 1/32 oz. hair jig and found the casts, for the same effort as the day before, to be 20 or 30% longer. I have an ultralight rod on order, 6' 9", but these two trips had me using an old 4' 8" Ugly Stik ultralight a neighbor had given to me a year ago. So, I got a good test in for the two lines and for the reel itself. I would suppose the longer UL rod will allow me to make much longer casts though there is some limit to tossing 1/32s on a spinning reel. Today, I think my best rather casual casts were closing in on 90 feet, 80+ for sure. I'd be tickled to death if I can throw this same weight 100 feet.

The line is so very fine, so small in diameter, I made no attempt to tie a leader on to it. Not sure how well that'd work since everything else in 2 lbs. monos and fluoros have diameters multiples in size of this braid.

The trout didn't seem to see it.

Brad

ING
Angler
Angler

Post by ING » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:07 pm

I've used #4 Nanofil very successfully, including #7 brown trout. 1/12 ounce Kastmater flying a mile. I'll regret if Nanofil will discontinue. From where this information? On the EBay and Berkley web http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkley- ... 85551.html Nanofil cost full price.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:25 pm

I think the original post was reflecting seeing it on sale wasn't it, or a close-out? But, even the best of lines and various fishing tackle go on sale from time to time. Some stores just might not be selling a lot of it, so they trim inventory.

I was at a fabulous fishing/kayaking store a year or so ago and they had Sufix Elite mono deeply discounted. I told the owner, Rick, how much I liked the line, had good results with it. He said, yes, that it was a really good monofilament . . . but that he just didn't sell much of it.

Where Nanofil has really caught on best, I think, is with the ultralight crappie/panfish anglers. I doubt it'll ever be the "go to" line for the bass crowd.

And, Sufix's Nanaobraid is smaller at the same tests, round, and a true braided line (for what that is worth) . . . so Nanofil could develop some stiff competition even down in the panfish market.

Brad