Braid lb for swimbaits

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Braid lb for swimbaits

Post by godshippy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:29 am

Cal wrote:
jtgibso1 wrote:after i cast a couple of nice baits off using braid i gave that up so i can't be of any help to you! just curious though are you opposed to other lines or just set on braid for the swimbaits?
Given the choice, I use 20 - 40lb nylon mono, so you're not alone.
I've broken off 65# PowerPro, Spiderwire Ultimate Braid, Sufix Performance Braid, and 70# Daiwa Samurai Braid fishing buzzbaits and frogs; so I'm with you guys...I would never risk an expensive swimbait on braid.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:13 am

Cal wrote:
jtgibso1 wrote:after i cast a couple of nice baits off using braid i gave that up so i can't be of any help to you! just curious though are you opposed to other lines or just set on braid for the swimbaits?
Given the choice, I use 20 - 40lb nylon mono, so you're not alone.
Concur. Braid and big baits makes me shudder. When it fails - it fails big time!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:56 pm

I use 80# spiderwire ultracast. It is 8-carrier and I've had backlashes without casting off anything yet. I like it for hardbaits with trebles. Coupled with the softer rod I use, it has worked fine for me. One disclaimer though-I don't own any "expensive" swimbaits.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

FishGirl71
Angler
Angler

Post by FishGirl71 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:20 am

Any time I throw braid it's usually 65 lb., and I use that for my swimbaits as well. For me, I guess you just never know when you're going to have to get a fish out of some heavy cover and, being a reaction bait, I don't think you can go "too heavy" - within reason, of course.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:41 am

OP, what baits are you throwing? I have only used braid which was 40lb PP on mag top waters in the 2 to 2.5oz range. Never had issues but I always heard negatives. In any case I never got into braid for most of my my swim bait presentations. In the end it is what we like and are comfortable with. Battling muskies on braid must be a trip! I have experience with pike but nothing like a muskie!