Braid to fluorocarbon

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:08 am

I use the FG exclusively. If you have to re-tie when you're fishing, which is rare, it only takes 4 or 5 minutes to get a good knot. If the bite window is so short you don't have that time, grab another rod. About the only time I need to re-tie on the water is if my leader has become too short due to break offs, the knot almost never breaks, I say almost because I suppose I have had one break, but I can't ever remember it happening.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:08 am

Also fg here. It takes as long to tie any other knot as an fg for me anyway. It passes through guides very nicely.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:58 am

FG when I'm at home tying connection knots. When I'm out on the water, I use the alberto knot.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:37 am

If for some reason I need fine looking small diameter knot, then I use FG. For example if I want to make fine knot to mono backing (for traction) to braid.

In other cases I use Double Uni in different variations. If I attach very small diameter braid to fluoro, then I usually first fold braid to get double lines of braid (for extra thickness). And then turn that double braid normal 5 times. In most cases I don’t turn fluoro 5 times. 4 or just 3 times seems being enough. Depends on thickness of fluoro.

In my opinion most important thing in fluoro – braid joint knots is that knot is supposed to use this purpose and it is tightened prettily. And personally I don’t anymore use fluoro – braid joint knots that must go back and forth in rings. Knot just wear out in that.

(Mono – fluoro joint knot doesn’t seem to wear out so bad. For this purpose I use Blood Knot. And that goes through rings easily.)

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:31 am

KlingerNOK wrote:A lot of guys seem to like the FG, but I use the Alberto knot and can't imagine anything being much stronger. It's stronger than my terminal knot and I can tie it pretty easily.
This. On my (mostly) lighter spinning and casting gear with 10 to 20lb braid I've been using the Alberto for better than 5 years without complaint. I've played with the FG and its great, but not something I want to tie on the water. If I set up with a 10' leader and an FG I'm usually good for a couple of trips.
www.FlyFishOhio.com - Fly Fishing And More!

LMSMBassaddict
Angler
Angler

Post by LMSMBassaddict » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:21 pm

Old thread, I know. But these things are important.

I am now using the red Phillips knot over the Alberto simply because it works. I will say that generally knots shaped like <===> are better casters than knots like this [===] but I've had no problem with the red Phillips at all.

I use the FG knot the most. I'm a knot guy, I know just about every knot and have them well practiced. I was doing that in the beginning to weed out any variables when testing. I did a bunch of tests and a few groups on Facebook really enjoyed the testing but I had to stop because financially I just don't have it to waist right now. Everyone wanted to see results but no one wanted to match me on buying line to test so I've just come to my conclusions on my own.

Here are the knots that I prefer for braid to FC and any of these work work just fine:

FG easily the best strongest slimmest knot. If you practice it enough you can tie this in the dark. I prefer using only a single half hitch to a rizzuto finish. That's really the best way in my findings. The only bad thing about the knot is the length and the variation when tying the knot. I know from personal experience that this knot has the highest probably in knot variation. If you don't tie this knot and practice it might want to think about a different knot.

Alberto is stronger than the red Phillips but not by that much. The red Phillips gets the easiest to tie and less variation once you learn it. The Alberto is pretty simple too but the RP knot takes the cake when it comes to speed, ease of use, less likely for a bad knot variation.

I've come to realize there is more to knots and line than meets the eye. And I definitely am in agreement that a knot you know well is better than a stronger knot you don't know how to tie very well. Knots are only as strong as the person's ability to tie.

Much love y'all

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:35 am

I have used (double) uni to uni variatios and also fg knot. Only difference is how hard or easy it's made a knot on waters. Naturally Uni can't be retrieved through guides because it won't go. But this is actually good. Because fg knot can go through guides, and when it is retrieved through, then it will fail and lure and maybe fish is lost. Because of that uni is better.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:23 am

Berto all day!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:57 am

FG

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:04 pm

I've been using it since I started this thread and its my go to.

Love the FG....

LMSMBassaddict
Angler
Angler

Post by LMSMBassaddict » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:42 pm

I've got a video of a knot that I made. It's basically a gt knot the figure 8 to a clinch but instead of a clinch I wrap back up on the leader line an Alberto. That knot in terms of strength beats the FG half the time. The thing about the FG is how slim it is. It's long but slim. The improved gt knot I call the AJ knot or albertos juiiice knot for it to beat the FG even just one time is saying something. Let alone beating it several times. It's not as thin but it's a decent caster.

I'm a line and knot nerd. I don't think there is a knot I can't tie. The bamini twist I've never used because I don't need it, but could easily tie it. My belief is that a knot should be tied and practiced 50 to 100 times before using it out in the field. I'm also of the belief that even when I'm not fishing I'm still practicing because when I test knots and line it helps to cut down on variance. All my knots look the same and generally test higher than topically recorded.

I'm kind of broke right now and had to order a new scale but had to skip out on it. I need one that doesn't break every month. Money is in low supply all around so throwing money away right now I just can't do.

But, it's always good to have a guy who knows knots and line because many people screw that up.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:07 pm

I bought the Daiichi Knot Assist 2.0 to help me tie a more consistent knot. My success with the albright and modified albright was inconsistent with lighter diameter lines and the uni to uni knot just doesn't sit right with even though I've never had one fail. The FG knot is longer than I like, but it's small in diameter so goes through the guides easily and the Knot Assist too makes it easy to tie consistently. Worth checking out 👍
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:12 am

One more alternative to attach braid to fluoro:
https://youtu.be/4sd5TuEBBco
Single Uni knot.JPG
Single Uni knot.JPG (52.7 KiB) Viewed 9029 times

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:16 am

30lb braid to 18lb fluoro on my inshore rods. 9 wrap Albright every time. Tiny knot that’s super easy to tie and very strong(I’ve never broken it), why make things more difficult? Never understood the need to tie an FG, especially for bass fishing.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:50 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:16 am
Never understood the need to tie an FG, especially for bass fishing.
If you think the FG knot is excessive... wait until you see my review on PowerPro's Hollow Ace :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"