What Fluorocarbon should I buy?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Rarebreed
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What Fluorocarbon should I buy?

Post by Rarebreed » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:24 pm

I wacky worm a good bit, I like sunline super sniper in 12lb. My favorite reel is of course a tdz type r+, but I have the zpi bfc light finesse knobs, it just feels soooo crispy(er). With the super sniper just have to try and remember to re-tie a little more often. Good luck!

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:59 am

Rarebreed wrote:I wacky worm a good bit, I like sunline super sniper in 12lb. My favorite reel is of course a tdz type r+, but I have the zpi bfc light finesse knobs, it just feels soooo crispy(er). With the super sniper just have to try and remember to re-tie a little more often. Good luck!
Alphas SV with 8 or10lb fluoro on 2nd gen Zillion Med-X fast (1/8-5/8 oz)....Perfect cast set up for wacky rigged 4 & 5" senkos.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:58 am

I'd use shooter or tatsu in 10 or 12lb. As a side note I've been told that the viento uses the 34 mm size spool like the tdz and others and a spool pin swap is all that is needed to swap in an sv, 1016, or other spool. You might ask in the maintenance section to be sure or pm pikeroadbassin or call the tackle trap as I'm pretty sure it was him that told me it fits with og zillion spool pin

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:03 am

timsford wrote:I'd use shooter or tatsu in 10 or 12lb. As a side note I've been told that the viento uses the 34 mm size spool like the tdz and others and a spool pin swap is all that is needed to swap in an sv, 1016, or other spool. You might ask in the maintenance section to be sure or pm pikeroadbassin or call the tackle trap as I'm pretty sure it was him that told me it fits with og zillion spool pin
I would like to just find a SV spool to work in my OG Fuego ( Red one). I keep swapping my 100M spool b/w reels. And they are hard to find and would really like SV spool for it

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:10 am

timsford wrote:I'd use shooter or tatsu in 10 or 12lb. As a side note I've been told that the viento uses the 34 mm size spool like the tdz and others and a spool pin swap is all that is needed to swap in an sv, 1016, or other spool. You might ask in the maintenance section to be sure or pm pikeroadbassin or call the tackle trap as I'm pretty sure it was him that told me it fits with og zillion spool pin
I would have to check again, but I'm pretty sure the Viento uses an even bigger spool than the Zillion. I'm 99% sure 34mm spools aren't even close to fitting, but I will check again now.

DaveJ

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:19 am

So the 16lb shooter I ordered from Monster Tackle came in today. I bought specifically from them because I thought they still had the original version, but it seems they are now selling the new version which has different flavors depending on the lb test. 16lb test is in the "Marionette Special" flavor group.

I was dissappointed because I thought the Marionette Special flavor had the most stretch when looking at the charts, but it turns out I was interpretting the stretch portion of the chart backwards. After reading the description, Marionette Special still uses the original formula and has the least stretch, most stiffness, and most abrasion resistance. PERFECT!

http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/watermar ... SNSH-3.jpg

Finesse Special has 3% more stretch and is more supple.

http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/watermar ... SNSH-2.jpg

Power Special has the most stretch for extra forgiveness/shock absorption.

http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/watermar ... SNSH-4.jpg

Happy Fishing.

DaveJ

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:29 am

I used to be an all braid guy. I prefer FC for most situations now. I remember I almost broke the tip in my NRX on a hookset. I was working a jig and I got bit at the top of my stroke. I was used to the no stretch properties of braid and can still set the hook in the upright position. Anyway, the stretch in the FC caused my rod to go higher than it normally would and bent my tip like crazy. From there on out, I learned to reel down and then set then hook hard. Never had a problem since.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:56 pm

IMO I would have gotten a less pricier option and gotten acquainted with its properties. Unless your fishing for money no use having this super uber fluoro line to recreational fish unless your making that kind of scratch to splurge, reason being you have a professional overrun you pretty much ruined that spool of line.

Your skills as a fisherman are fallible if your not detecting bites on slack line with your setup and those conditions wacky style, a bad batch of real Senkos not likely as most bass swallow them if you take too long to set the hook or get that mystery bite unsure if you got a strike or not.

A bit noobish to ask what reel from your collection to put the line you purchased onto.

BPS fluoro never disappointed while fishing @ an amateur level in Mexico( club and regional tourney's) nor recreational.

I've tried various brands and keep coming back to BPS for Baitcaster and Invizx for spinning.

Just because its a highend JDM line and costs more than other fluoro's doesnt mean its better you can get the same or similar results using cheaper flouro.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:36 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
I would have to check again, but I'm pretty sure the Viento uses an even bigger spool than the Zillion. I'm 99% sure 34mm spools aren't even close to fitting, but I will check again now.

DaveJ

And....?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:39 pm

E73Bass wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:

DaveJ

And....?
I meant to update on this, thanks for reminding me. So, the Viento spool is the same diameter as TDZ/Steez spools, but about a mm wider. With a longer cast control pin from a TDZ I can center the spool correctly now, but the pinion doesn't engage. I will have to see if a different pinion might make it work.

DaveJ

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:51 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
E73Bass wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:

DaveJ

And....?
I meant to update on this, thanks for reminding me. So, the Viento spool is the same diameter as TDZ/Steez spools, but about a mm wider. With a longer cast control pin from a TDZ I can center the spool correctly now, but the pinion doesn't engage. I will have to see if a different pinion might make it work.

DaveJ

Thanks Dave...I would like an update when you find out as I may revitalize my Viento with a SV spool upgrade...It has become my dedicated spring jerkbait rod for march/april then it collects dust rest of year. That twitchbar is perfect for the suttle ness needed at times when jerkbaiting. 1/2 Touch of the bar and SLAM !!!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:18 am

BASSLAYER wrote:IMO I would have gotten a less pricier option and gotten acquainted with its properties. Unless your fishing for money no use having this super uber fluoro line to recreational fish unless your making that kind of scratch to splurge, reason being you have a professional overrun you pretty much ruined that spool of line.

Your skills as a fisherman are fallible if your not detecting bites on slack line with your setup and those conditions wacky style, a bad batch of real Senkos not likely as most bass swallow them if you take too long to set the hook or get that mystery bite unsure if you got a strike or not.

A bit noobish to ask what reel from your collection to put the line you purchased onto.

BPS fluoro never disappointed while fishing @ an amateur level in Mexico( club and regional tourney's) nor recreational.

I've tried various brands and keep coming back to BPS for Baitcaster and Invizx for spinning.

Just because its a highend JDM line and costs more than other fluoro's doesnt mean its better you can get the same or similar results using cheaper flouro.
I would definitely like to know which cheaper fluoro's have the same properties as Shooter or Toray SHU? Biggest reason I use these lines is because of the lack of stretch and abrasion resistance that really isn't available anywhere else.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:45 am

I recently bought YGK Waker fluorocarbon

and YGK Waker Super Soft for my spinning reels

and I can only say - WOW! compare to Sunline Sniper it looks thinner and feels more sensitive.
Even 6lb line is so strong.
This is expensive line, but I think it is worth it.

P.S. I haven't fished Tatsu or Shooter yet, they can be in same league.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:50 am

Mission Accomplished!

Not the size I was hoping for, but it is almost impossible to catch a fish from the lake I pulled it out of.

Shooter is definitely low stretch and very durable but anything other than an 80% power overhead cast and it would fluff up a ton unless I kept constant thumb pressure on the spool (TDZ with FX73 SV Spool).

A week later the line from AliExpress showed up.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-ne ... .53.OirPaD
I bought 2.0, 4.0, & 6.0. It appears to be fluorocarbon (pretty stiff and stays sunk in a bowl of water). The 6.0 doesn't seem to have much stretch, but the 2.0 does. I have only fished the 2.0 so far. I put it on a DIY Spool and stuck it in an IS73. Very manageable, pretty sensitive, but a little stretchier than I prefer. I did have pretty good luck with it though and caught a few decent dinks (oxymoron?). The Fusion19 wacky hooks are awesome. Very good hookup ratio and very little force required for a solid hookset.

DaveJ

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:58 pm

What hooks now?