Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon XL Professional Grade

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon XL Professional Grade

Post by GRH » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:25 am

OK, been silent hoping somebody else would recommend the fluorocarbon line I use. Why no love for Berkley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon XL Professional grade? It's marketed mostly as a spinning reel line, but it works great with my Metaniums too.

I use either 8 or 10 pound and am very happy with how manageable it is. Very little memory or stretch, abrasion resistance is about average. It's not as soft as mono, but better than the other fluorocarbons I tested, and that includes Sniper and Berkley Trilene regular 100% Fluorocarbon Professional grade (not XL). Sniper 10lb breaks before the 8lb Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon XL does even though the diameter is about the same.

So, why isn't anyone else using it?

Dark3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon XL Professional Grade

Post by Dark3 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:51 am

Been reccomending as a finnesse casting line for years. Very good experiences here.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:08 pm

After my nightmares with Berkeley vanish fluorocarbon, I have been unwilling to give Berkeley another chance.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:32 pm

dirtygeary wrote:After my nightmares with Berkeley vanish fluorocarbon, I have been unwilling to give Berkeley another chance.

Not saying I'm a fan of anything Berkley besides maybe big game for a few things ... I can say 100% flouro xl is miles above Vanish. Knot strength, abrasion resistance, to straight line pull was a joke in my book with Vanish !

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:41 am

You won't usually find a lot of love for big conglomerates on TT. I think Berkley makes some good products, but they didn't produce a softer fluoro soon enough after the original 100% and lot of people realized that there were much better products at the time. Many moved away from Berkley to other companies (Sunline and Seaguar). The XL is one that I have been curious about, but I never tried it because I moved away from Berkley as the company was becoming part of other companies that I didn't associate with.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:21 pm

I use Seaguar InvisX for spinning, I would have to see some comparisons of Berkley vs InvisX, if it compares favorably I would probably pick some up. Just hard to trust them after my negative experiences with Vanish.

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:01 am

Thanks guys for the replies. I wonder, and this is not a jab at anyone, how many have actually compared Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon XL Professional with other fluorocarbons, or do the majority just use a JDM line because someone said "I fish JDM line because it's the best". Just a thought, and trying to figure out why JDM line is so popular compared to domestic line.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:34 am

I believe I fished 25lb for flipping a couple of years ago and didn't like how it fluffed up on the spool. But that was after using braid for years. I am full time flouro now for all but punching. I should try it again and see if it was just my learning curve with managing flouro.

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:10 am

BucketHunter wrote:I believe I fished 25lb for flipping a couple of years ago and didn't like how it fluffed up on the spool. But that was after using braid for years. I am full time flouro now for all but punching. I should try it again and see if it was just my learning curve with managing flouro.
:?: ???

You must be talking about Berkley Trilene regular 100% Fluorocarbon Professional grade (non-XL). The XL version tops out at 12lb. and is really a different line compared to the regular non-XL version - I have used both.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:11 am

A wise man once said, "People from your own town don't respect you". They like foreign products more around here, it's more exotic I guess.

I'm a Pure Fishing fan boy....they have a huge catalog, their products are widely available, inexpensive, and I have more information on the lines.

I'll probably try the XL Fluro at some point. Right now I like the Stren Florescent Blue fluoro, it's easier to see.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Snyder Rods wrote:A wise man once said, "People from your own town don't respect you". They like foreign products more around here, it's more exotic I guess.
I wouldn't say it is purely for exotic, but the domestic are 90% made in China.

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:25 am

Pen3 wrote:
Snyder Rods wrote:A wise man once said, "People from your own town don't respect you". They like foreign products more around here, it's more exotic I guess.
I wouldn't say it is purely for exotic, but the domestic are 90% made in China.
I haven't looked at other domestic lines, but on the back of the Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon XL package it shows it is made in USA.

For all those Sniper users out there. One thing I noticed with Sniper is when you make a sharp bend (kink) in the line it changes color at the bend - kind of a milky color. I know what you're thinking... don't kink it! :) Has anyone else noticed this? Other than the sudden snapping of the line with no warning when pulled to maximum power rating this discoloration is what made me stop using it. I know Fluorocarbon isn't supposed to stretch much, but other brands give you a feeling it is getting ready to break unlike Sniper. Maybe I had a bad batch and should give Sniper another try.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:27 am

- that is true, all most all the reels and rods are made in the Far East.

- Yeah, don't kink your line. So, you have heard the term "knot strength", correct? - some lines are said to have better knot strength, some worse...... and fluoro is usually worse than mono. But what does it really mean? In the case of mono and fluoro, knots usually fail because of the tight turns they have to make - or kinks (sometimes a poorly tied knot can slip out). So basically, kinks tend to weaken fluoro and mono - sometimes severely. I would imagine the milkiness you see after kinking your fluoro is a result of the breakdown.

When you get a birdnest in a baitcaster and you see those kinks, those are now weak spots. Ever cast a baitcaster and your lure detaches from the line and sails off into the sunset? - it's probably due to that last birdsnest you had, weakening your line!