BPS fluoro

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

BPS fluoro

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:01 am

Who makes BPS fluoro now? They changed it about a year ago, and now it feels and handles like Seaguar InvisX.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: BPS fluoro

Post by Randingo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:56 am

Not trying to be a jerk, but does it really matter "who" produces it? We know there are only a handful of factories that make fluoro, but they produce a huge range of different fluoro with almost infinitely variable properties. Just within Seaguar, there's everything from Red Label to Tatsu to Flipping fluoro plus at least two different formulation of trout leader material. If for some reason BPS has subcontracted with Seaguar instead of the oem facility, it doesn't change the strong likelihood that the formula is unique to BPS and not a rebranded spool of an existing Seaguar product.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:27 am

Randingo wrote:Not trying to be a jerk, but does it really matter "who" produces it? We know there are only a handful of factories that make fluoro, but they produce a huge range of different fluoro with almost infinitely variable properties. Just within Seaguar, there's everything from Red Label to Tatsu to Flipping fluoro plus at least two different formulation of trout leader material. If for some reason BPS has subcontracted with Seaguar instead of the oem facility, it doesn't change the strong likelihood that the formula is unique to BPS and not a rebranded spool of an existing Seaguar product.
I guess it doesn't really matter, but I liked the old BPS fluoro much more, and I'd like to find some more of the older stuff.
One of the things I really liked about the BPS flouro was how abrasion resistant it was when I had a loop in my line. It seemed to not weaken at that loop, like the Sunline Sniper I used to use, before I switched to BPS fluoro.
But the newer stuff does seem to weaken more easily, and it handles just like the Seaguar InvisX and comes on the same type spool in the larger quantities, like 800yds.
Do you know who used to make it for BPS?

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:50 am

mark poulson wrote:
Randingo wrote:Not trying to be a jerk, but does it really matter "who" produces it? We know there are only a handful of factories that make fluoro, but they produce a huge range of different fluoro with almost infinitely variable properties. Just within Seaguar, there's everything from Red Label to Tatsu to Flipping fluoro plus at least two different formulation of trout leader material. If for some reason BPS has subcontracted with Seaguar instead of the oem facility, it doesn't change the strong likelihood that the formula is unique to BPS and not a rebranded spool of an existing Seaguar product.
I guess it doesn't really matter, but I liked the old BPS fluoro much more, and I'd like to find some more of the older stuff.
One of the things I really liked about the BPS flouro was how abrasion resistant it was when I had a loop in my line. It seemed to not weaken at that loop, like the Sunline Sniper I used to use, before I switched to BPS fluoro.
But the newer stuff does seem to weaken more easily, and it handles just like the Seaguar InvisX and comes on the same type spool in the larger quantities, like 800yds.
Do you know who used to make it for BPS?
I wish I could help you. I'd say it's time to switch brands, but there are so many different formulations out there. The most abrasion resistant fluoro I've used is Shooter, but it's in an entirely different price category than XPS. At the end of the day, it seems line is the most individualistic part of your system: for every person who swears by a particular line, there are twice as many who swear at it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:35 am

I know you're right about line being a very personal choice.
I was just hoping to find the old stuff.
Thanks for your help.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:40 pm

Don't like bps floro