Braid - how light is too light

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
nolegsinmiami
Angler
Angler

Braid - how light is too light

Post by nolegsinmiami » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:09 am

I am interested in setting up a really light braid spinner, but curious to get everyone’s opinion on how light is too light before breakoffs become too common. I will be open water bass fishing and light saltwater fishing like throwing unweighted shrimp. I have used a low as 10lb Sufix 832 and 15lb PowerPro. I was considering going to 6lb Sufix 832 or maybe the 4 ,6, 8lb Sufix Nano braid.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Braid - how light is too light

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:26 am

Used 10lb 832 for a while, but 6lb Sufix 832 worked well for me, never had any issues with breakoffs unless around heavy cover/structure like sawgrass and docks. Really strong line for how thin it is. Casts small baits a long way. Mainly targeted slot redfish and trout with it.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:23 am

I know it's not a braid, but according to an article I read years ago in InFisherman, someone sent a sample of their 6 pound Fireline to the IGFA in order to apply for a line class record, and the IGFA found that 6# Fireline broke at slightly more than 20 pounds! I've used the 6# Fireline in the past without issues, but I haven't dropped below 12# Sunline SX1 with any braid yet. My feeling is that the limit of what's too small has to do with abrasion resistance. No braid is great in the rocks, but the thinner the braid, the more quickly it will fail when scraped.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:24 am

Open water, 2 lbs of drag, you'll never break any 4 lbs braid. Light braid works extremely well with FG knot and Suffix in 6 lbs will break around 8-10 lbs.

All bets are off if you use Nanofil 4 lbs. Notoriously bad knot strength and FG knot would be mandatory with 4 lbs Nanofil. Fg knot with 6lbs Nanofil is around 8-9 lbs. Uni knot will drop it to 3-4 lbs.

I never use braid without a leader so I can't comment on straight braid strength. Should be okay with Palomar knot.

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:06 am

I have been using some Nanobraid with a 6# leader and the Ned rig this spring. Some 16" bass, 22" carp, 13" crappie, briefly hooks a 36" gar. The bass would bury in some short but thick weeds by shore. So far, so good. Joined leader with Seaguar knot. Fg knot looks too complicated for my fingers.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:03 am

a little old topic, but i have used 6lb 832 and 6 and 8lb nanobraid, have not had any issues with break offs. im considering trying out 4lb nanobraid next year on a c2000hgs twinpower, since shimano shallow spools are SUPER shallow. i am also liking gliss, have tried both 18 and 24lb, and havent had any issues with them either (based on diameter, the 18lb is close to 6lb braid, 24 is similar to 8lb braid)

JonathanBlaise
Angler
Angler

Post by JonathanBlaise » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:42 am

Whatever you do, don't use Daiwa J-Braid :lol: