My comments on some new to me braids

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

My comments on some new to me braids

Post by Taxin That Bass » Tue May 31, 2016 4:06 am

Up until this year i have always used power pro and suffix 832, i have always preferred the suffix to PP. This season got my hands on some 20lb seaguar smack down, 55 lb samurai, and 65 lb FX2. the 20lb went on my spinning reel, the 55lb went on a buzzbait/buzz toad rod, and 65 on my frogging setup. Here are my first impressions:

20 lb seaguar is ridiculously thin, like scary thin, like im afraid it will snap any second. So far so good but i have not really put it through the paces. Seems to wind knot pretty bad and thats annoying

55lb samurai - nice smooth line but i have terrible issues with wind knots. When i say wind knot i mean you go to cast something like a buzz bait and the bait makes it 10 yards before a little backlash catches and stops the bait dead. At this point, this line isn't tolerable. I have fishing it on a 201E citica, i feel i am serviceable with a baitcaster and a guy should be able to attempt to bomb a cast without fear of a knot. Is anyone else having this issue with this line? never had any problems like this with PP or 832, i think the problem stems from the limpness of the line and the small diameter, since it is so limp is balls up in the spool much easier than thicker/stiffer lines.

65lb FX2, i really liked this line initially but my biggest gripe is it seems to fray really easily, not sure if this is due to the fact it doesn't have any coating on it or? i like to fish frogs around cover like docks or logs and it is showing wear like i had a full season on it. I wouldn't care if it didn't impact the strength but it does, twice i noticed a spot that looked particularly bad and gave it a test pull and it snapped immediately.

I really want to like these lines but if i can't cast them and i can't fish around cover than why am i using them? Anyone else have comments on these or is it just me?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: My comments on some new to me braids

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:32 am

30lb Sufix 832 is my go to line. Everytime I try something else I end up disappointed. Tried Smackdown in 40lb earlier this year on a Metanium, and really liked it at first. Super smooth and limp line that cast very well, but not necessarily further than 832. Seemed like it would be really good on a spinning reel, but IMO was just to limp for casting the light lures that I use on that combo. Had some serious backlash issues even after dialing my brakes in for it. Also seemed to start fraying pretty quickly. I've heard a lot of good things about it, but those reviews are not what I experienced. I'd like to try it again, maybe a heavier line would help. But for the price, 832 is a better value IMO and probably won't stray again. Why change when something has always worked so well?

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Tue May 31, 2016 7:38 am

i've use 50# fx2 for all applications except crankbaits and jerk baits...i fish a very rocky lake and have not noticed any issues with fraying on the line.....i usually fish once a week from june through until september...one reel has two full seasons of usage and the other reels i just respooled last spring and i don't need to respool again..the line looks perfectly fine for use this season...i love fx2 and won't use any other braid...

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue May 31, 2016 3:46 pm

Now this is sounding like some old Braid line from back some 15-20 yrs ago...where they get soft and wind knot and rod tip wrap. Granted the old stuff didn't come in with 8 strands and all. Anyways I have to say is a more fine tune casting and clear open water is the niche for it.

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:11 pm

Update: Doing some frogging last night, first fish that blows up on my frog, set the hook with fx2 60lb and POW! Snap the line on a hook set, line broke in the reel, the line was still floating and hand lined it in, turned out to be a 15 incher. So i have 200 yards of fx2 for sale if anyone wants it. i have never in my life popped braid of that weight class on a hook set, back so suffix i go.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:56 pm

I've had good luck with PP Slick 8 and Spider Wire Stealth so I don't see myself changing any time soon. They aren't perfect, but no line is. For light braid 20lb and under the Wal-Mart USA Braid is a great deal. Super rough and noisy 30lb and up though.

DaveJ

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:31 pm

Update: i found the problem with FX2...it turns out i have a guide that was half broken creating a very sharp edge....this is what caused the fraying, my bad lol

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:24 am

Ooohhh...

LOL... How that happens...