BFS Braid

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

BFS Braid

Post by tim3716 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:17 am

Do you guys use backing when using braid for BFS setups? I feel that the backing will take a lot of the spool capacity away. I know I read somewhere that a specific knot with braid will keep it from slipping but I can't find it anywhere.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS Braid

Post by zodiak311 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:46 am

tim3716 wrote:Do you guys use backing when using braid for BFS setups? I feel that the backing will take a lot of the spool capacity away. I know I read somewhere that a specific knot with braid will keep it from slipping but I can't find it anywhere.
I use a couple layers of plumbers tape, which also keeps water from seeping through honey comb spools.
Last edited by zodiak311 on Tue May 10, 2016 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue May 10, 2016 4:47 am

I just spool on enough mono to cover the arbor and go with braid from there.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:16 am

Look at some PE 0.4 braids from japan and some 6lb or 8lb braids like YGK or Varivas

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:40 am

I just found some excellent BFS braid, I am using right now, I brought it yesterday. It the diametre of 10lb but its actually 16lb test. Its called 'Toray' Sea Bass Power Game PE 1 (16lb).

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu May 26, 2016 1:10 pm

8lb Gliss with a 6lb FC leader. I have not retied my leader knot in a LONG time. Color fades but its still holding strong. Been horsing big gills and smaller bass over logs and through pads and weeds.

I'm definitely sold on Gliss

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu May 26, 2016 2:22 pm

zodiak311 wrote:
tim3716 wrote:Do you guys use backing when using braid for BFS setups? I feel that the backing will take a lot of the spool capacity away. I know I read somewhere that a specific knot with braid will keep it from slipping but I can't find it anywhere.
I use a couple layers of plumbers tape, which also keeps water from seeping through honey comb spools.
Would you mind taking a few photos of how you apply it? I guess you cover the whole width of the spool (if it keeps water out). How about spool balance - is it affected or do you make sure to apply evenly?

Hitherto, I have used a mono backing. However, sometimes the uni-to-uni knot slightly disturbs the smooth layering of my mainline (thin braid)...

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:30 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:
Would you mind taking a few photos of how you apply it? I guess you cover the whole width of the spool (if it keeps water out). How about spool balance - is it affected or do you make sure to apply evenly?

Hitherto, I have used a mono backing. However, sometimes the uni-to-uni knot slightly disturbs the smooth layering of my mainline (thin braid)...
I could take pics but don't know how to post, if you want, I can email it to you, and you could post it up if you'd like. I cover the width of the spool, two layers max. The stuff is so light that I doubt it would throw off the balance much, if at all.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri May 27, 2016 2:40 am

zodiak311 wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:
I could take pics but don't know how to post, if you want, I can email it to you, and you could post it up if you'd like. I cover the width of the spool, two layers max. The stuff is so light that I doubt it would throw off the balance much, if at all.
The issue with the joining knot causing problems with line lay and even catching on really long casts with shallow spools is why I've taken the advice of others and put plumbers' tape on my spool. If anything, the uni knot join that you currently tie will do more than tape to unbalance the spool. One other quick comment: if you're spool has holes and you're not worried about water getting in, there's no need for tape. If you position whatever knot you tie on the arbor in a hole, it won't slip. Years ago, when I got my first TD-X reels, I realized you didn't even need to tie a knot on the spool--you could just put the end of the mono through one of the holes and begin cranking. I never had any problems doing this. Of course, that was mono; I'd never try it with braid, but seating the arbor knot of your braid in a hole of the spool works without slippage every time.