FG knot question

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
iliketofishman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: FG knot question

Post by iliketofishman » Fri May 06, 2016 3:22 pm

A good alternative is a PR knot with the bobbin knotter. I've tied plenty of FG's for salt but once is started using the knotter I've saved so much time and it's stronger.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri May 06, 2016 9:53 pm

fati wrote:
aquaholik wrote:Don't form loose wraps like this video. Pinch it between your thumb and index finger and pull it back 45 degrees to keep each wrap tight and next to each other. That eliminates the need to constantly draw down and stack the wrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk7uWUa4z6Y
Great inputs you guys bring, that is the way I learned it first, involving teeth [-X

Now tonight im gona pratice the pinch 45 degree and the tension method to see what suits me better.
I'm going to try this today too, it looks like it just might work well for me. Thanks!

ING
Angler
Angler

Post by ING » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:03 pm

Randingo wrote:I've been working on getting comfortable tying the FG knot to connect fluoro or mono leaders to my braid. I'm finding it interesting that the knot seems to behave differently in different combinations of line, both size and brand. At this point I have the mechanics of the knot pretty well under control--my fingers have figured it out. It seems that as I get better at it, the "finger cuff" portion of the knot gets more compact. In many videos I've watched, especially from saltwater guys, they make an effort to condense that section of the knot, and it certainly looks neater and feels smoother when tied that way. But a few videos I've seen seem to suggest that compacting the constricting portion of the knot isn't necessary or even desirable. The thinking in the latter case seems to be that the greater the length, the more area the braid bites into the leader. But it seems the guys who promote that version of the knot are relative beginners to the knot, while the more experienced and proficient (as determined by me based on the scant evidence of how they appear to tie the knot on a YouTube video) favor keeping the wraps close and tight in traditional knot tying style.

So here's my question: for those of you who have been working with the knot a while, do you feel that one of these ways yields better results? In my limited testing at the bench, both seem to hold up pretty equally, but that testing hasn't involved shocking the knot or fish. So I figured I'd like to hear some feedback while I'm still getting used to tying this knot. And as an aside that some of you might find interesting, in my tests, a blood knot holds more consistently than the Uni-to-uni join that seems so popular. I decided to test those when I saw that Matt Allen recommends and uses the blood knot.
I agree with Randingo on 100% ! From my experience streched FG knot much stronger vs. compact FG.
More: on that principe based "sliding knot". When you gather all winding together, like stock of coins, knot easily sliding along the mono and when you stretching knot, it is grasping the mono and deadly lock it.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:14 pm

The most important part of tying the knot is after you've made the weaves, whether they're compacted or not, you make the first half hitch. At this point you need to pull on the braid and the leader like a lunatic to set the knot. At this point the weaves will stretch out and lock onto the leader, so whether you do the weaves tightly or loosely they will end up looking much the same. After that crucial part of the knot the remaining half hitches are just there to stop the tag end coming undone and smoothing over the cut end of the leader.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Randingo....are you Jay and marks friend???

If so...I hope your off season is treating you well!....(even if your not the same gent)

And I'll see you on the Delaware for the river rat fling in a few months!!

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:25 am

These links are helpful... i've had some success with the FG and had situations where it just came undone. Need more practice time with it to perfect it.