Liking PP 30#

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Liking PP 30#

Post by DavidSA » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:22 am

I've been fishing Powerpro 30# since April. At least in my mind, I am seeing better results then bigger diameter braids which were my staple in the past. My catch rates with a shaky head in shallow water with the 30# is about the same as say 12# FC. I have been playing with FC leaders and having some success but I'm not sure unless I was fishing deep in very clear water that it would have any affect.

any guys seeing similar things? I'm thinking about going to super slick on my next spool vs. the base pp product. Thoughts on that?

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Liking PP 30#

Post by John Puckett » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:48 am

I'm a big Power Pro fan myself, I'm using 20# on my spinning reel and I'm very satisfied with it. I've tried 30# but I felt it was a little overkill for bass fishing. I use a lot of 50# and 65# on my casting reels with 50# being my favorite overall strength for those. I've also had very good luck with 30 and 40# as well. I really like 30 for "finesse" type casting.

I've tried Super 8 Slick fairly extensively and came to the conclusion that I prefer the original line. It's mmuch more abrasion resistant than S8S. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying any braid is super abrasion resistant but S8S is very poor in this area. It frays so easily, this was the only reason I switched back to original PP. It casts great and makes much less noise going through the guides. I've heard a few guys say they had their knots slip but I never experienced this personally.

I'm really looking forward to trying the new Maxcuatro, the 50# in this line is suppose to be the same diameter as 30# regular PP. Overall though original PP is the best braid I've fished when taking everything into account. It's relatively inexpensive and readily available in most areas. I've tried lots of braid brands and I've always come back to good ole PP.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:28 am

appreciate the input John! I should have noted that I am using the 30# on baitcasting gear. I do use 20# suffix on spinning gear for many years now.

Two things I like about the 30# PP, 1) it does not dig into my shimano reels and 2) it does appear to me to be remarkably abrasion resistant. Some years ago I tried straight braid on my spinning gear around rocks and cut it like butter on hooksets; as I recall it was either 15 or 20#. Not so on the 30# so far.

The 30# to me is much smaller then even the 40# PP yet is highly fishable. Thanks to your advice, I will skip the slick version because I don't want to go back to the butter and knife scenario. I do think I will drop my spinning reels down to 15# pp on the next spool up. As I said in my original post, I have gained a great deal of confidence in the stealth of the 30# in only about 4 months. I've used the 40# for years but don't have the same confidence on plastics in moderately open and clean water.

If a downside exists, it is that I can barely see the 30# line. I am using green.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:09 am

Just ordered some maxcuatro to try. I like 4 carrier for the abrasive resistance.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:44 am

I love tossing spooks and 100 size sammies with 30lb Power Pro as well. It's made me enjoy topwater fishing more because I have to work less. I can nearly walk a spook in place with 30 lb pp :D