The biggest B.S. ever

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

The biggest B.S. ever

Post by Pegasus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:11 pm

I saw a video on You Tube where Pro Angler Aaron Martens
Was talking about using braid as a backing in order to save line, and further the casting distance.
So I thought hey if Aaron Martens is doing it, it must be true.
Well I think its the biggest BS ever.
I backed my D7 with braid and finished spooling it with 17 lb. Armilo which everybody calls unbelievable line.
Well it completely changed the behavior of the reel using same bait I usually use, same rod, I couldn't get half
the distance I would get with a spool filled with just mono and no braid.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The biggest B.S. ever

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:20 pm

What bait was it? Keep in mind that with heavier lures, a spool with more weight (mono backing rather than braid) will cast better/further, and the opposite is true with lighter lures. Aaron Martens seems use more finesse / lighter tactics so perhaps the braid backing helps him with those.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Sorry but no matter what line or line combination you choose it should never yield to less than half of the other setup. That's has to be operator error. If you say it's a few feet less or easier to backlash then I could believe that.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:58 pm

Bass1980 wrote:Sorry but no matter what line or line combination you choose it should never yield to less than half of the other setup. That's has to be operator error. If you say it's a few feet less or easier to backlash then I could believe that.
I'm going to have to agree. The difference in weight between a mono backed spool and a braid back spool is very minimal after all, and probably nearly non-existent once the braid start to soak up water after fishing for a while. I am guessing the armilo line was the cause of the casting issues.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:
Bass1980 wrote:Sorry but no matter what line or line combination you choose it should never yield to less than half of the other setup. That's has to be operator error. If you say it's a few feet less or easier to backlash then I could believe that.
I'm going to have to agree. The difference in weight between a mono backed spool and a braid back spool is very minimal after all, and probably nearly non-existent once the braid start to soak up water after fishing for a while. I am guessing the armilo line was the cause of the casting issues.
Well maybe but everybody can't stop talking about Armilo line can you be more specifc

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:21 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:What bait was it? Keep in mind that with heavier lures, a spool with more weight (mono backing rather than braid) will cast better/further, and the opposite is true with lighter lures. Aaron Martens seems use more finesse / lighter tactics so perhaps the braid backing helps him with those.

weightless 5" senko

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:34 pm

well lets see with sunline supernatural 16lb test I could whip out a 5" senko a long way, with this set up braid and 17lb. Armilo
I was struggling to get it half as far, I wasn't doing anything different that I usually do, same brake set up and same tension
on the spool. So I have to blame the set up with the line, like I said it completely changed the behavior of the reel, and definitely
more bird nest, I couldn't find that sweet spot, that I usually find with all mono on the spool.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:45 pm

Pegasus wrote:I saw a video on You Tube where Pro Angler Aaron Martens
Was talking about using braid as a backing in order to save line, and further the casting distance.
I backed my D7 with braid and finished spooling it with 17 lb. Armilo which everybody calls unbelievable line.
Well it completely changed the behavior of the reel using same bait I usually use, same rod, I couldn't get half
He's talking about the "mainline" as braid and referred to it as "backing" in the video ... just a bad wording choice on his part. This has been hashed out already on here.

He's meaning braid to a length of leader say 6' of mono or fluro. for example. After the joining leader knot passes through there is no more line memory to go through the line guide of the reel or guides on the rod since braid has no memory.

Yielding in farther casting distance ...

Saves you line by retieing on your leader multiple times and not the main line.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:52 am

jpd0144 wrote:
Pegasus wrote:I saw a video on You Tube where Pro Angler Aaron Martens
He's talking about the "mainline" as braid and referred to it as "backing" in the video ... just a bad wording choice on his part. This has been hashed out already on here.

He's meaning braid to a length of leader say 6' of mono or fluro. for example. After the joining leader knot passes through there is no more line memory to go through the line guide of the reel or guides on the rod since braid has no memory.

Yielding in farther casting distance ...

Saves you line by retieing on your leader multiple times and not the main line.

What are you talking about I just went to the video again just to make sure, he said he uses braid as backing and that he puts enough line to make long casts, so its not just a leader, how would that save line or improve casting distance ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRxWUEvFeuc

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:07 am

You hadn't posted a vid link when I commented on that.

I think he's throwing tips out in general ... if you look closely the line on the reel is not even braid after he strips off the old. The filler on the reel he's holding is flouro /mono/co to his new line.

Hes just generalizing how he does things in a short clip. Aron jumps around a lot in general conversation as it is.

Don't read so deep into it ...

Going back to what I said above ... Ive seen him use the braid to leader multiple times.

I will say Aron is no fool when it comes to gear/tackle.

He may have not have explained it correctly ... but hes no fool.

Ya reading way too deep into it ... :mrgreen:

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:33 am

Works for me.

1. a lighter spool overall = easier casting with lighter weights. 5" senkos would be pushing 3/8oz with a hook.
2. You had a different line when going straight through mono as opposed to the PE backed mono.
3. The overruns you're experiencing is probably due to the spool accelerating faster, for distance the bait has to fight air resistance regardless of what line you use, backing with PE or not the distances would not be too different, its the ease in cast to achieve the same distance that lightening up the spool will assist.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:47 am

^This.

The weight of your spool is probably vastly different than what you had without the backings. The start up is going to be a bit faster, but you should be able to adjust it with your thumb.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:39 am

if I was watching the same video that you are talking about the major concern was about keeping the line fresh by using a backing and changing the section be on the back here more often to prevent break off.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:32 am

angry john wrote:if I was watching the same video that you are talking about the major concern was about keeping the line fresh by using a backing and changing the section be on the back here more often to prevent break off.
Yes and no, the other factor was saving the expensive line, but then he stared saying that you could add 20 ft of distance to the cast, which I think its total BS cause I tried it.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:19 am

Pegasus wrote:
angry john wrote:if I was watching the same video that you are talking about the major concern was about keeping the line fresh by using a backing and changing the section be on the back here more often to prevent break off.
Yes and no, the other factor was saving the expensive line, but then he stared saying that you could add 20 ft of distance to the cast, which I think its total BS cause I tried it.
Not to be a dick, but since you can't do it that means it's BS??? Maybe it isn't maybe it's just not for you or maybe your right, just trying to understand your logic. I haven't tried it. It makes sense but a lot of things do in "theory."