Sunline Assassin

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Sunline Assassin

Post by Montanaro » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Anyone have any info on their new FC? Not sure where it fits with shooter and sniper? Surely it's not better than shooter? Is it a step below sniper?

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sunline Assassin

Post by Brad in Texas » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:56 pm

It's a new method of bonding the resins comprising fluorocarbon as best I can tell. The net effect is supposedly to make the line hardier, last longer.

For sure, they have been lab testing the line for some time now but it will be up to anglers to reel it on and see how it works in real world fishing situations.

I seem to think its size is limited on the downside to an 8 lbs. test line so that will immediately limit its range for some applications.

The price point looks pretty good. If not for a whole reel of the stuff throwing all fluorocarbon, it may make a good leader where a spool of the stuff, using about 10 feet at a time, would last for a very long time.

I hope we see some actual "field" reports on this soon as it is apparently being distributed now.

Brad

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:19 am

Anyone read the write up? I'm thinking Guinea pig here. I'm placing a line order tonight and am contemplating ordering some Assassin rather the normal Sniper. I hate ordering new fluorocarbon having little to nothing to go off of. It has to start somewhere :big grin:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:38 am

Somebody has to be the guinea pig. It will be interesting to see where this line excels. It obviously isn't finesse, or it would be available in smaller diameters.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:43 pm

I generally like sunline but I'm going to side on common sense here.

Of their 3 standard FCs assassin is cheapest. P-ion a marketing ploy to sell line. P-ion could be something to watch in future, but if it were that special of a technology we would be paying for it.

Basically it sounds like an entry level FC and that's fine and dandy.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:17 pm

Montanaro wrote:I generally like sunline but I'm going to side on common sense here.

Of their 3 standard FCs assassin is cheapest. P-ion a marketing ploy to sell line. P-ion could be something to watch in future, but if it were that special of a technology we would be paying for it.

Basically it sounds like an entry level FC and that's fine and dandy.
It's roughly 2 dollars more per spool than Sniper and you get 25 yards more. Pricing is pretty much the same. That's a pretty bold statement to say it's a marketing ploy.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:20 pm

You are right, just checked TW. Only a slight difference in cost per yard. I swore when it came out on TW there was a price difference.

That raises the question though, why two products at same price point?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:46 am

Montanaro wrote:You are right, just checked TW. Only a slight difference in cost per yard. I swore when it came out on TW there was a price difference.

That raises the question though, why two products at same price point?
Only one way to find out! I will admit the two lines sound very similar.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:15 pm

I placed an order for some yesterday in 15#. I'm impressed by the articles videos etc. never used Sunline product except for Supernatural. My comparison will be to 15# InvisX. If anything it has 25 yards extra which means I won't have to back it with mono and get two full spoolings.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:41 pm

I'm going on 5 weeks of 15# spooled. So far no memory and no signs of wear and tear. I went ahead and ordered another 10# spool from TW to try for weightless plastics.

I'm really enjoying the reduced stretch it has compared to Inviz-X

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:02 am

I have some 12lb on one of my cranking rods. Only one trip in but so far so good. You can definitely feel the slickness of it. I beat the tar out of it Friday cranking way shallower than the crank was designed for. It had to be periodically of course but really it held up good especially considering the zebra mussel infested water I was on. I plan to keep using it.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:59 pm

Still wondering how stretch and handling compare to Sniper. Sounds like it's a little slicker than Sniper. There has to be 1 different characteristic compared to Sniper, doesn't there?

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:49 pm

I'm going to be ordering 15lb today. Ill have some input later this week on it hopefully.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:26 pm

I'm a diehard Sniper guy, but I broke down and ordered a spool of the Assassin in 15lb. during the current TW sale. I'll let you all know how it compares to Sniper once I get some on the water testing.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:45 am

fishballer06 wrote:I'm a diehard Sniper guy, but I broke down and ordered a spool of the Assassin in 15lb. during the current TW sale. I'll let you all know how it compares to Sniper once I get some on the water testing.
Look forward to it.