Daiwa J-Braid???

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa J-Braid???

Post by Bassmar » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Fishinfanatic115 wrote:With 8lb J Braid and 6lb InvizX, I can't even hear the leader knot going through my guides. Stuff is amazing.
I suspect that has more to do with the type and quality of the knot used than the smoothness of the braid. The noise of the knot passing through the guides will more than likely be due to the flouro tag end connecting with the guides.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:26 pm

Toadslayer72 wrote:That last post got me thinking. Does anyone ever do a pre spooling treatment to braids that bleed? Like soak the spool it comes on in water before using it? It's not an issue that concerns me with what I use but if I was having an experience like the above poster, I might consider it (provided I wanted to keep using the line). I know a lot of people might feel like they shouldn't have to do such a thing and I get that too. I'm just spit ballin' here.
It takes a little rubbing to really get the dye bleeding. So soaking it (soapy water) and toweling is sort of a hassle. The extra line wear isn't always worth the result.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:54 am

slipperybob wrote:
Toadslayer72 wrote:That last post got me thinking. Does anyone ever do a pre spooling treatment to braids that bleed? Like soak the spool it comes on in water before using it? It's not an issue that concerns me with what I use but if I was having an experience like the above poster, I might consider it (provided I wanted to keep using the line). I know a lot of people might feel like they shouldn't have to do such a thing and I get that too. I'm just spit ballin' here.
It takes a little rubbing to really get the dye bleeding. So soaking it (soapy water) and toweling is sort of a hassle. The extra line wear isn't always worth the result.
I see, yeah that makes sense now that you say it. Friction is the key.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:13 am

Bassmar wrote:
Fishinfanatic115 wrote:With 8lb J Braid and 6lb InvizX, I can't even hear the leader knot going through my guides. Stuff is amazing.
I suspect that has more to do with the type and quality of the knot used than the smoothness of the braid. The noise of the knot passing through the guides will more than likely be due to the flouro tag end connecting with the guides.
This is true... I did cut the tag ends extremely close, but even at equal length tag ends, the J-Braid shoots through the guide exceptionally better than PP #10 with a leader, due to the 8-carrier property and slick surface. Two thumbs up after a month of usage!

Baik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Baik » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:19 am

tonychm wrote:I tried 40lb j braid today. Handles great and the quietest braid I've ever used, but after about 5 casts I thought I was turning into the incredible hulk. I've never seen a braid bleed so much. My reel was green, white rod stained green, my hands were green. I had to keep a towel in my pocket to wipe down after every couple casts.
Unfortunately I have had the same problem with this line. I've used most braids available and I hate to say it but in my experience this braid bleeds the worst I've ever seen... I had a reel spooled with this line as soon as my local shop got it in and absolutely loved it at first until I looked down and saw that everything was turning green... thank god I use u-40 cork sealer on my rods.

I fished the 40lb every night for a month while chasing stripers and throwing bigger plugs like shore line shiners, x-raps, duo tide minnows, etc and it casted very well! I noticed an increase in distance over 832 (which I've been using for the last four years) and it was also a bit smoother. The bleeding of this line drove me nuts and also seems to wear out a lot faster then 832. It almost becomes too limp and is harder to manage. I experienced a few wind knots and the line would wrap the tip way too easily. This extremely frustrating while fishing at night ](*,)

Could using this line in saltwater contribute to the bleeding and wear it out faster?

Matt

k3fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by k3fishing » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:24 pm

X2, I was doing some super long casts and was saying to myself that this stuff casts great. Then I looked at my reel and said what's all the green water droplets all over my fingers and the front of my brand new reel. Wiped it off with my shirt and kept fishing, after a while it started going away. Maybe it needs to be thoroughly saturated with water a couple times and then it's good. Unfortunately I was still adjusting on the reel and got a backlash all the way down to the backing and had to cut it all off. I haven't had a chance to respool yet. When I do then I can try it out on more than one outing. Dicks carry's this line. But I have never had a braid bleed like this.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:49 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Tf5h36-3k

Watch from 11:30 onwards for on the water experiences.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:49 am

Alright here's what I got for J Braid KBS(knot breaking strength) using FG knot to 40 lb leader and either using spring scale or real weights. I'm loving the 10lbs. Way stronger than Samurai 18lbs and maybe just a tiny bit thicker. It's thinner than all USA 10lbs braid so I didn't expect more than 16lbs out of it. In fact, it's thinner than Daiwa Saltiga Surf in 20 lbs and tested about 1 or 2 lbs stronger.

This Daiwa J Braid is unlike all of other Daiwa line where the KBS is actually lower than the labeled strength. These are labeled like USA braids, underrated.

10 lbs KBS at 22.5 lbs
15lbs KBS at 26 lbs
20lbs KBS greater than 28 lbs(lifted 27.5 lbs very cleanly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH9GoVAIGGI

https://youtu.be/5Tt1FRIpNbw

https://youtu.be/MaOLNB4Hswg

fisherrw
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by fisherrw » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:31 am

i use j braid sometimes and have had no issues with it.. seems like great line.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:40 am

Fg knot cinches up so well with this soft braid:

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:43 am

Does the J braid float or sink slowly? I'm looking to get some for topwater applications. Thanks!

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:48 am

I think all braid floats, a factor when working weightless Zoom.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:19 am

aquaholik wrote:I think all braid floats, a factor when working weightless Zoom.
Doesn't Suffix 832 sink slowly?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:55 pm

chreim20 wrote:
aquaholik wrote:I think all braid floats, a factor when working weightless Zoom.
Both are neutral. As so far the cup of water test.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:58 am

slipperybob wrote:
chreim20 wrote:
Both are neutral. As so far the cup of water test.

Thanks!