NANOFIL HATERS

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NANOFIL HATERS

Post by Brad in Texas » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:26 pm

Well, yes, something really large is going to be an issue.

But, it is always like that when one fishes "finesse" and limits rod power and line size.

You risk losing a really large fish for enhancing the odds of catching more fish.

And, no matter what knot or leader material one ties onto 12 lbs. Nanofil, unless you really "baby" the fish in and work your drag really effectively to wear the fish down, the result is always going to be the same: losing the fish to a line or knot break.

*** I went out for a couple of hours on Marine Creek Reservoir last evening, caught 4 dinky LMBs on the Nanofil and my typical tackle throwing a 4.75" Grande Bass rattlesnake weightless.

So far anyway, no line issues like breaking off nor have I seen any of the oft-reported fraying on my line. I do re-tie before each time out but not between each fish.

Brad

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:28 am

Brad in Texas wrote:I'll take a look at the FG knot.
I understand the 10 ft leader I guess but wouldn't something just shy of the spool, say 5 feet do the trick if the issue is visibility?
Brad
The rod I have this setup on is one I primarily use for fishing a weightless fluke and also drop shots.

The floatation properties of the Nanofil prevent the line from sinking. This limits the weightless fluke's sink rate if you fish a short leader. The longer length of the leader allows one to confidently fish the fluke under the surface where you want it. With a short leader you will be limited to only very near the surface presentations and the bait will not turn as nicely when fishing it slow.

And on dropshots I am ready to go with a 15' fluorocarbon leader -- not that I need casting distance on drop shot, but these two techniques rarely overlap on fishing pattern and its a solid multi-use combo. I really only use three different rod reel combos that I own for bass fishing with spinning gear so this is a solid compromise for me.
Last edited by Seph on Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:23 am

I took your advice and tied on a fluorocarbon leader. I used 8 lbs. test Seagur Invisx and I like it very much.

I now have the mono backing on from what I was using before the Nanofil, Sufix Elite 8 lbs., and about half my arbor beginning with that. If slippage is a real problem, I have eliminated any chance of that and I save a bit of money by spooling up less Nanofil (or braid.) Then a uni to uni knot to the 12 lbs. Nanofil with a total length on the arbor well exceeding any possible casting distance. Then, here of late, another uni to uni knot from the Nanofil to the fluorocarbon leader.

Results? So far I have had no issues, at all, with the Nanofil: no fraying and no color loss. And, I tie on just enough fluorocarbon to stay off my reel but to give me plenty of extra if I have to retie a time or two while out fishing.

I have clipped off and retied the Nanofil to fluoro junction before each outing as a matter of habit. This way, using up a couple of yards of fluoro each time, 150 yards will last a very long time and I will always have a bit of fresh line and new knots.

I haven't worked out a Nanofil replacement schedule but I will certainly pull it off if I ever see that as I am snipping off the occasional bit of line that I see I am approaching the mono on the spinning arbor.

Uni to Uni? I use 12 wraps per side and other than one breaking at that junction on a hang up I had to muscle loose, it has been very reliable. Not as strong as the Albright/Alberto line to line in tests, but thinner.

Brad

dux
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dux » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:44 am

I've had a few fish about that size on while fishing Nanofil. The exact weight I'll never know, cause the nanofil broke.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:32 pm

Sure, one can always break off a fish too large for the line being used. It means very little since we never know what the fish actually weighed. Hard to tell just looking.

I got tangled up the other day, pulled on the line . . . and it broke off at my uni-to-uni knot. I tie a new knot before each outing so it wasn't old. And, I tie a really good uni-to-uni.

The nanofil has, so far, not frayed at all.

Nanofil is Dyneema and Dyneema is super strong. Are parallel runs of it bonded together weaker than the same fibers braided together?

Rope is braided for a reason but I have always thought that tensile strength isn't one of them, that it has to do with workability of the line. I need to research this a bit.

Brad

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:24 pm

Here is another nice one for the haters \:D/ weeds and all no leader
8# nanofil on supreme xt 7'6" M/F Croix LE using 1/8jighead w/keitech 4" swingimpact

around 3-1/2# 18"

Image :big grin: :big grin:

bradbellflower
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bradbellflower » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:05 pm

Beautiful fish. Line still sucks.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:38 am

I see NanoFil on "CLEARANCE" at the Berkley website... hmmm...

oe

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:13 am

The only strengths of Nanofil clearanced priced there are 1 and 2 lb. test in chartreuse and 1 lb. test in green.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:33 pm

I bought a reel spoold with nanofil and left it on to try it. I was amazed at the casting distance, but broke several small fish off on the hookset using a shaky head

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:13 pm

Brad in Texas wrote:I use Nanofil 12 lbs. test on a Shimano Stradic 2500 Ci4+ and a 7' medium St. Croix rod. I likely would have bought 8 or 10 test if it were available at the time I was at the store.

I kept the previous line, Sufix Elite mono on as a backer, tied a uni-to-uni knot to more Nanofil than I can cast, and then some more wraps so the knot never passes off of the reel arbor, and fish it that way.

I am not sure what fish can see but I know that since the Nanofil is incredibly fine, .008 inches for the 12, that visibility is mitigated to some degree compared to, say, fluorocarbons of the same test strength which will have large diameters. I may try a leader at some point but it would be more for abrasion issue than line visibility.

Knots? One contributor on YouTube said he has tried them all, that many Nanofil knots show breakage at around 60%, but he gets 100% using a three wraps through the eye of the hook first, then a 5 wrap Improved San Diego Jam knot. He demonstrates twice on the video that the line snaps before the knot does. In a previous test before he published the video, he did it 20 times with 19 breaks in the line, only 1 in the knot. Is there any knot easier to tie than a San Diego Jam? Not many.

For spinning reels and many finesse techniques, I can't imagine a better line. It has low visibility just owing to its thin profile, it has almost no stretch, it is sensitive, and it casts almost as if the lure being flung is completely untethered to anything.

No, I likely wouldn't use it for dropping heavy jigs through matted vegetation but the line you'd use for that wouldn't be acceptable for long range crankbait casting either.

Brad
That was me that made the video using the modified San Diego jam knot with Nanofil. After much experimenting I stopped attaching it directly, I now use a leader because the Nanofil's abrasion resistance is too low. My favorite knot is called the modified Albright or Berkley crystal knot,(Berkley just changed the name [-X ). There's definitely a learning curve so make sure you practice, it took me about a month to perfect it. A useful trick is to lightly coat the knot with superglue, this will increase the strength to near 100% and the knot will slide through the guides much easier. Without the superglue the knot is probably around 70%-80% strength so the glue is highly recommended. One spool lasted me an entire season, I did have to flip the line around. After a while the finish will come off but overall Nanofil will last a long time, you just can't run it over rocks. Here's how to tie it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rEmsBmsGHQY

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:51 am

Sorry about my delay . . . didn't see your response. That double wrap San Diego jam was nicely tied.

On the Albright, I wish there was a way to create the middle finger pull where the index fingers and thumbs are then freed for making the wraps. But, I see people tie it well . . . going down and away, then another layer of wraps back up.

I have 10 lbs. Sufix 832 braid on now and I use an FG knot to an 8 lbs. Seaguar Invizx fluorocarbon leader. Gosh, what a knot!

I only tie it at home before outings; on the water, I typically tie a Uni junction knot.

I do agree with your general assessment: Nanofil is plenty strong and, more likely, the issues relate to fishing it where abrasion will be an issue, and not using really good knots. If you can tie good knots and use a leader, it is tough to beat for light line applications.

Brad

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:12 am

From my experience with nanofil I dont like it at all, too unreliable and lots of breakoffs. I have been consistently disappointed lately with berkley products in general as well.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:50 am

jpmoney wrote:From my experience with nanofil I dont like it at all, too unreliable and lots of breakoffs. I have been consistently disappointed lately with berkley products in general as well.
Nanofil is a difficult line to tie knots on but the smooth casting distance and no stretch is well worth it. Try using superglue on the knots, that works great for me.

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:15 am

Lol it's a good line when nowhere near rocks.