NANOFIL HATERS

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: NANOFIL HATERS

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:07 am

Brad in Texas wrote:...
Now, Sufix has come out with a more traditional 8 fiber weave using Dyneema fibers as I recall. ... This product is called Sufix Nanobraid....
Nonobraid is not an 8-carrier braid. Sufix doesn't make that claim on the Nanobraid page on its home site, the Nanobraid packaging doesn't say so, and a "Cabela's Expert" answering a customer's question says the line has three fibers: http://www.cabelas.com/product/SUFIX-NA ... QAWidgetID

Those of you who have purchased this line, is it flat (in what strengths?), triangular, round, or too danged thin to say?

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:22 am

aquaholik wrote:21 inch Nanofil 14lb to 14lb leader:

Thanks for your contributions to this thread.

Looks like you direct-tied the 14 Nanofil to an Owner head. What knot?

Has that line worked well with the baitcast reel?

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:21 am

Gosh, I posted a long response . . . and when I hit "submit" I had lost my log in. All gone.

Paraphrasing my long and long gone post:

Yes, Bronzeye is correct I think. I must have read the 8 carrier strands somewhere or assumed it. 3 makes sense as it would take that many to do a traditional braiding or plaiting of lines.

Yes, I have been using it very successfully in the 2 lbs. test strength.

It appears round but this is based on "touch" and not looking at it under magnification.

I love it and the biggest negative is when I did the math on spool capacity, it'd take almost 2 miles of something .001" in diameter to build up 1/8th inch thickness on a spool that is .5" in diameter empty and .5" in width. This braid comes in 150 yd. spools. So, plan on using a lot of backer to fill up your spinning reel spool, then add the Nanobraid.

Brad

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:37 am

My plastic lure has been so great catching multiple species: trout, LMB, white bass, bluegills, crappie.

This is a #8 hook, 1/40th oz. jighead tied to the 2 lbs. braid.

The plastic is a grub with concentric rings in black with a chartreuse screw tail.

Brad

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:56 am

Bronzeye wrote:
aquaholik wrote:21 inch Nanofil 14lb to 14lb leader:

Thanks for your contributions to this thread.

Looks like you direct-tied the 14 Nanofil to an Owner head. What knot?

Has that line worked well with the baitcast reel?
No, I ALWAYS use Nanofil with leader. No confidence in it's strength without it. Nanofil slack line sensitivity is incredible. I can feel the slightest tick with weightless Senko and weedless Zoom jerk bait. FG knot to flurocarbon leader and you can't beat Nanofil for strength and line manageability.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:29 am

aquaholik wrote:No, I ALWAYS use Nanofil with leader. No confidence in it's strength without it. Nanofil slack line sensitivity is incredible. I can feel the slightest tick with weightless Senko and weedless Zoom jerk bait. FG knot to flurocarbon leader and you can't beat Nanofil for strength and line manageability.
6lb Nanofil with 4lb fluoro leader via a FG knot was terrible for me. I don't know if the Nanofil cut into itself or into the fluoro but it sure did cut, causing the FG to break very easily. Since you didn't have a problem with yours, I'm assuming it's an issue with lighter, thinner lines.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:48 am

Add a 5pounder to the list doubled fish-n-fool knot.
Avid 8' ML/MF rod Daiwa RG-AB reel 8# Nanofil.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:07 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Add a 5pounder to the list doubled fish-n-fool knot.
Avid 8' ML/MF rod Daiwa RG-AB reel 8# Nanofil.

Doubled fish'n fool knot. Does that mean you've got four strands of line in the hook eye?

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:45 am

Yes
The Fish-n-fool you pass a single strand through eye twice SO I just fold the line over about a foot and then through eye twice to a 4-6 turn uni knot which is basically the FnF

This gets me 9 pounds of strength out of my 6# Nanofil and near 12 pounds with my 8# Nanofil much better than the recommended knot on the package. I tie directly dont use leader.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:59 am

Thanks. :D

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:52 am

Got this one just under 4 pounds. My new Daiwa RG-AB real is getting broke in nicely.
Avid 8' ML/Mod rod Daiwa RG-AB reel 8# Nanofil