Copoly v Flouro: Sensitivity

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Copoly v Flouro: Sensitivity

Post by Montanaro » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:47 pm

I've been using pline cx premium in 20# for pitching recently and I was wondering how it compares to moderate to high end flourocarbon in regards to sensitivity.

Cx premium is very low stretch which should translate into sensitivity? However braid is no stretch and lacks sensitivity on slack.

I'm not concerned about other aspects of FC, just curious how much more sensitive FC could possibly be over quality copoly.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Copoly v Flouro: Sensitivity

Post by vinnieb729 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:14 am

It's noticeably better...in a blind test you could easily tell. I've used CX Premium before and it's good line...no where near as sensitive as fluoro though.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:38 am

Fluoro has as much stretch as co poly and nylon lines. What gives it it's superior sensitivity is that it is far more dense than co poly lines. This is why it sinks and why it tends to transmit vibrations better.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:38 am

Cx premium sinks as fast as any flouro I've used. Not saying it's as dense as FC but darn close.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:14 am

Bassmar wrote:Fluoro has as much stretch as co poly and nylon lines. What gives it it's superior sensitivity is that it is far more dense than co poly lines. This is why it sinks and why it tends to transmit vibrations better.
It is a bad blanket statement to say that fluoro has as much stretch as mono or copoly lines because it depends on each individual line. The fluoros as a group tend to stretch a little less than mono or copoly, but some fluoros stretch more than others. The softer fluoros tend to stretch more, while the more dense fluoros tend to stretch less. The same goes for most mono and copoly.
Many of the copoly lines are close in sensitivity to fluoros like Berkley 100%, but nowhere near Shooter.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:15 am

Fluorocarbon rarely ties a good knot and typically costs more. That's about it. I once got pissed watching a $30 lure sail beautifully with no chance to get it back. Again. The only Fluoro I trust now is Tatsu. Period. It is costly so I use it on only one setup, Certate2510PE-H. Yes, I like it better than braid on this reel. No, I do not use Fluoro for casting applications. Ever.

Copolymer/Monofilament tends to 'sink' or 'suspend' because most does not 'float' as I've read so many times. Braid floats. Fluorocarbon sinks. Everything else falls somewhere between and I'm not buying into the sensitivity thing. Most lines transmit just fine provided lure contact is maintained. That's the key.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:34 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:Fluorocarbon rarely ties a good knot and typically costs more. That's about it. I once got pissed watching a $30 lure sail beautifully with no chance to get it back. Again. The only Fluoro I trust now is Tatsu. Period. It is costly so I use it on only one setup, Certate2510PE-H. Yes, I like it better than braid on this reel. No, I do not use Fluoro for casting applications. Ever.

Copolymer/Monofilament tends to 'sink' or 'suspend' because most does not 'float' as I've read so many times. Braid floats. Fluorocarbon sinks. Everything else falls somewhere between and I'm not buying into the sensitivity thing. Most lines transmit just fine provided lure contact is maintained. That's the key.
I take it that you don't worm fish much. Constant lure contact on the fall will result in a lot less bites. The slack line feel of fluoro will allow you to feel more bites. You don't have to say it's absolutely necessary to have this heightened sensitivity because it isn't, but I doubt most of the pros on the planet would be fishing fluoro, as almost all are, if it didn't provide an advantage with bottom contact baits.
With that being said, the decreased line twist of braid on a spinning reel is one of the reasons why so many people are making the switch. I don't get much line twist on casting reels. So, I don't see a reason to stray from fluoro for bottom contact baits because I have taken the time to find one that works for me.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Sensitivity is subjective. Some people will feel it, others won't.

The majority of fluorocarbon lines will do a better job of vibration transmission on a slack line through water. A crappie strike on a 1/16 oz jig felt like it hit rock bottom, even though when it actually hit rock bottom on the long pitch there was no feeling or transmission felt. Just pretty much the visual slack of the line will foretell before the change of pull pressure to the rod tip. On a copoly line, it was just less pronounced.

Braid/superlines will show more linear line movement from a lure pull on a slack line through water. Bottom setting for pond trout with a slack line. Most of it is visually watching the slack line. When a trout picks up the dough bait and swims with it, the superlines shows liner movement almost immediately. Hopefully it's not a minnow or potato chip fish nibbling on the surface point where the line submerges. Hate those false alarms.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:38 am

toddmc wrote:
GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:Fluorocarbon rarely ties a good knot and typically costs more. That's about it. I once got pissed watching a $30 lure sail beautifully with no chance to get it back. Again. The only Fluoro I trust now is Tatsu. Period. It is costly so I use it on only one setup, Certate2510PE-H. Yes, I like it better than braid on this reel. No, I do not use Fluoro for casting applications. Ever.

I take it that you don't worm fish much. Constant lure contact on the fall will result in a lot less bites. The slack line feel of fluoro will allow you to feel more bites. You don't have to say it's absolutely necessary to have this heightened sensitivity because it isn't, but I doubt most of the pros on the planet would be fishing fluoro, as almost all are, if it didn't provide an advantage with bottom contact baits.
With that being said, the decreased line twist of braid on a spinning reel is one of the reasons why so many people are making the switch. I don't get much line twist on casting reels. So, I don't see a reason to stray from fluoro for bottom contact baits because I have taken the time to find one that works for me.
Apparently you missed the first paragraph? I use this for light bottom presentations solely to help keep contact.

No offense, but I do care what 'pros' do. I've got my own preferences. I've earn it. I'm not saying I don't like fluorocarbon, it's just that I generally do not trust it. I have reason for this. There may be something to the whole 'invisible' thing, which it is not, but I can see the argument. For me, the least visible line is a line without UV inhibitors. The only way to keep light from absorbing is to reflect it. Reflection is visible.

As for braid twisting less on spinners than other line options, I'd say that's highly debatable. If a presentation twists, the line twists with it. It's the law of physics. It's just that braid is so tight it likely won't be noticeable until a knot ties itself like magic before your very eyes.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:51 pm

toddmc wrote: I take it that you don't worm fish much. Constant lure contact on the fall will result in a lot less bites. The slack line feel of fluoro will allow you to feel more bites. You don't have to say it's absolutely necessary to have this heightened sensitivity because it isn't, but I doubt most of the pros on the planet would be fishing fluoro, as almost all are, if it didn't provide an advantage with bottom contact baits.
Constant lure contact on the fall will result in a lot less bites.

Am I reading this right?

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:44 pm

slipperybob wrote:
toddmc wrote: I take it that you don't worm fish much. Constant lure contact on the fall will result in a lot less bites. The slack line feel of fluoro will allow you to feel more bites. You don't have to say it's absolutely necessary to have this heightened sensitivity because it isn't, but I doubt most of the pros on the planet would be fishing fluoro, as almost all are, if it didn't provide an advantage with bottom contact baits.

Am I reading this right?
I agree with that statement. For instance letting a weightless Senko drop on a slack line will get far more bites then keeping a tight line resulting in a lifeless drop that will pendulum towards you and miss the target zone. In other words the best of both worlds is being able to allow your plastic to drop naturally on a slack line AND still feel the bites due to line sensitivity. =D>

bradbellflower
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bradbellflower » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:38 pm

I agree as well but the extra advantage is very small and is influenced by your other tackle choices and your experience. Any line that is slack will not provide as much sensitivity as when it is taut. The high end FC lines are a bit more dense and can give a small advantage in sensitivity when slack.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:16 pm

Bassmar wrote:
slipperybob wrote:

Am I reading this right?
I agree with that statement. For instance letting a weightless Senko drop on a slack line will get far more bites then keeping a tight line resulting in a lifeless drop that will pendulum towards you and miss the target zone. In other words the best of both worlds is being able to allow your plastic to drop naturally on a slack line AND still feel the bites due to line sensitivity. =D>
So Constant lure contact means keeping a tight line. I'm just not familiar with that lingo.

I was wondering if one was giving it slack line and how is one keeping constant lure contact. As since the lure itself isn't making contact with anything as it's falling through the water column, until it actually makes contact with something.

Does this apply to when you keep a tight line on a fish as keeping contact with the fish? If you give it slack line you're no longer in contact with the fish?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:06 am

slipperybob wrote:
Bassmar wrote:
slipperybob wrote:

Am I reading this right?
So Constant lure contact means keeping a tight line. I'm just not familiar with that lingo.

I was wondering if one was giving it slack line and how is one keeping constant lure contact. As since the lure itself isn't making contact with anything as it's falling through the water column, until it actually makes contact with something.

Does this apply to when you keep a tight line on a fish as keeping contact with the fish? If you give it slack line you're no longer in contact with the fish?
I'm glad you figured it out. This is common fishing language. It may not be perfectly descriptive, but I think we are all on the same page now. It is common belief that you get more bites on the initial drop with a bottom contact lure by giving it slack to prevent the pendulum affect that you get when you don't give your lure plenty of slack. It is also common belief that you have a better chance of feeling a strike with slack in your line with denser fluoros than with braid or mono. I am willing to give up this advantage with braid on a spinning reel using the extra line twisting dropshot technique because the fish hold on to handpoured plastics long enough that I don't miss many fish that I don't feel during the strike. Yes, you can disagree and say that you still get twist with braid, but most will agree that is it is a lot less.
Tatsu is good line and probably ties the most reliable knots of any fluoro because of its softer outer layer. But there are a lot of other great fluoros out there.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:38 am

My bad, I guess. I meant 'lure contact' as simply feeling the presentation. It had nothing to do with tight line pendulums.

Peace all.