What pound flouro?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What pound flouro?

Post by biggs » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:53 pm

I'm going to give flouro a shot on a couple of reels this year and I'm so used to using braid that I'm not too sure what pound flouro I should go with. I'm looking for flouro for senkos on one combo (XX EMTF) and flouro for jigs, t-rigs and possibly paddletail swimbaits on another (XX TV). Looking at Sunline Sniper.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

nickp
Angler
Angler

Re: What pound flouro?

Post by nickp » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:28 pm

Id go 10-12 on the EMTF and 14-16 on the jig/paddle tail. I like to live dangerously and Id go with the lower end of both of those recommendations. I don't fish much wood around here for some perspective. 3-6lb fish are above average and your lucky to tangle with more then 2-3 that size in a tournament

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What pound flouro?

Post by steve1206 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:10 am

Sniper is a thin line vs. label rating...If you don't care about popping a hookset here and there, then the above suggestion may work...Maybe I have a little different mindset based on tournament fishing fairly often...I see no reason to go below 16lb with the Senkos (assuming 5"??) and 20 on the jig, worm, & paddletail...You are talking about somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 and 15lb diameters in USDM monofilament lines (which many people still have those lb. tests in their head..and their above label rating strength), when comparing diameters..If you want to back it down a notch from my suggestion, then that is fine...just educate yourself on the diameters of the line you are looking at...If you asked about Trilene 100%, I may say 12 and 15 or 17..."lb. test" doesn't tell the whole story..