best line and lb. test for topwater

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

best line and lb. test for topwater

Post by jonahsdad » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:27 am

I am thinking of trying lucky craft's floating line in either 12 or maybe even 16 lb. test. Anyone try this or any input on alternative? I currently use P-line fluoroclear in 12 lb.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: best line and lb. test for topwater

Post by stevenhatchy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:36 pm

Try the Sunline Defier Armilo in 15 lb. I have really enjoyed it. It has less stretch than any mono I've tried, but doesn't tangle in the hooks like braids can. It cast really well too.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:49 am

I have used the 12# LC floating line and it did a great job throwing 1/4 oz. poppers. Mine was yellow and you get see every inch of it. I fished with another guy who used regular mono and could not see any difference in hook ups. It's hollow and floats better than anything else. I now use Sunline Delier Armio 13# for poppers and 15# for larger baits. It casts better than any thing else I have used, and is durable. I use it on all my crankbait fishing except for deep crankbaits.
Last edited by BigG on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jonahsdad » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:06 am

Thanks! I may have to try this Sunline Armilo!

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:55 am

Ironsilk does not sink.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:07 pm

10 and 12# Yozuri hybrid most often. has worked great for many years

ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChrisD46 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:10 pm

Sunline Super Natural #16lb. It has the diameter of other #12lb. monos , it is strong , floats high and easy to manage .

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:09 pm

ChrisD46 wrote:Sunline Super Natural #16lb. It has the diameter of other #12lb. monos , it is strong , floats high and easy to manage .
That's exactly what I'll be using this season too. I'm going to use it as a leader for my spinner and buzzbaits too.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:39 am

stevenhatchy wrote:Try the Sunline Defier Armilo in 15 lb. I have really enjoyed it. It has less stretch than any mono I've tried, but doesn't tangle in the hooks like braids can. It cast really well too.
Agreed. Also 19lb for larger baits like Giant Dog X.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:08 am

:talk hand:
Last edited by GOOD YEAR 71 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:27 am

DavidSA wrote:10 and 12# Yozuri hybrid most often. has worked great for many years
Me too! Bought some giant bulk rolls and reap pol fresh each season. No problems.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:10 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:I would second Sunline Defier Armilo, but upsize to 19lb test. (.360mm)
Well, after losing a fat little piggy and a brand new "One's Bug", I think I'll be moving up to 22lb. Not a knot malfuction. No "pennant", just a pop.
I have to take a bit of responsibility, I was moving to get the net. Did I say she was a piggy? I would have reached down for her but the bait was not situated well. The bait had worked almost outside the mouth.
On the other hand. The MB IP79 worked perfectly. The drag was butter smooth. Retrieve was perfect, no hiccups. Piggy didn't make it to market but the considering I don't keep what I catch anyway, I got the fight, that's the best part.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:22 pm

Well, after losing a fat little piggy and a brand new "One's Bug", I think I'll be moving up to 22lb. Not a knot malfuction. No "pennant", just a pop.
I have to take a bit of responsibility, I was moving to get the net. Did I say she was a piggy? I would have reached down for her but the bait was not situated well. The bait had worked almost outside the mouth.
On the other hand. The MB IP79 worked perfectly. The drag was butter smooth. Retrieve was perfect, no hiccups. Piggy didn't make it to market but the considering I don't keep what I catch anyway, I got the fight, that's the best part.[/quote]

Yes, I tell myself the same thing every time I loose a decent fish. BS. :lol: :lol: :lol:

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:26 am

14lb mono for walking baits, 10-12lb for 1/4oz-ish poppers.

I've always used Berkely big game until switching to Sufix.
Suffix siege for an ultra far casting stiffer line, Sufix elite for a more limp, relaxed line.

Neither will break, ever.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:47 am

stevenhatchy wrote:Try the Sunline Defier Armilo in 15 lb. I have really enjoyed it. It has less stretch than any mono I've tried, but doesn't tangle in the hooks like braids can. It cast really well too.
x2 Line is flawless. Worked amazing with the Dog-X Speed Slide this June and August. Going to try the 13lb option for the Pop-X. Line casts great has some stretch but not lot's. Sit's very flat on the spool too. Will be running in 2017 love it.