Line for lunker punkers?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Basscatcher99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Line for lunker punkers?

Post by Basscatcher99 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:54 am

What kind of line do you guys use for 6-8 inch lunker punkers?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Line for lunker punkers?

Post by dragon1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:49 am

I use 17lb CXX clear (slightly thicker than green from what I read), but only toss upwards of the wooden Punker Jr. I would rec 20lb - 25lb CXX, Big Game as general all-around good swimbait lines.

I also want to try Diamond Momoi

Good luck.

Here is a link that may help you more: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... oi#p459119

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:36 pm

65lb Braid. The bait glides side to side with more ease. One of my team partners is one of the best there is with this bait and he owns several of the first baits that were made. You need to thumb the spool heavily right before the bait hits the water to straighten the bait out and to keep it from tangling. The bait will move much farther side to side with braid.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:47 pm

I have 80 lb. braid on my Z/Super Red Demon combo, and haven't had any issues...though I don't have much time with the Punker.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:49 am

If you decide on braid, I highly rec that you use a good stiff section of mono/co-poly leader...this will help minimize the mainline tangling with the hooks.

socal cranker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socal cranker » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:24 am

20 lb Maxima or CXX

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:22 pm

I'm not a die hard braid lover and I fish mono for most topwaters and swimbaits, but braid really gets the bait working quickly on a long cast. We all know how you can bomb an 8" Punker. Fish often respond to a short pause and a directional change around a piece of cover of structure. Braid allows you to do this a little more efficiently, but it does tangle. Also, fish really use their leverage on a Punker because of the way it is designed with no joints. You can use trebles with swivels, but you still want to get them in the boat ASAP because they use this leverage like they do with a rattle trap. The fish often get off if you try and take the time to wear them down. Braid allows you to swing a hot fish with more confidence. My partner is an animal and he's often got seven pounders bouncing at my feet before I know it. He stuck one of those huge trebles in my five year old before he could get out the way of the bouncing fish recently. Fortunately, it didn't get past the barb.

bmlum
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bmlum » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:33 pm

20lb pf or 60 lb fx2

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:07 am

I like Sunline defier armile 20 or 25 #. I use it for all my topwater baits (excluding buzzbaits & frogs), 11 to 25 # depending on the weight of the lure.