seaguar tatsu

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
toledo bend bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

seaguar tatsu

Post by toledo bend bass » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:01 am

Looking at changing over to tatsu from invizx. I've used seaguar invizx line for some time now and had good results but I want a line with less stretch in it. I have tried tatsu and let me tell you it is top notch. But are there better flouro lines out there? Sunline?? Today?? With less stretch? I know it's give and take with these lines but who has best all around properties??

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: seaguar tatsu

Post by lpquick » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:46 am

Tatsu soft and pliable most likely best knot strength but I like the properties of Sunline Shooter Defier. Highly abrasion resistant and very strong, might have less stretch.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:28 am

If your looking for quality line with low stretch and excellent abrasion resistance, Toray superhard upgrade and Sunline Shooter are the best out there. They do not handle as well as softer lines as a main line because they are very stiff but do cast very well anyways. Tatsu is probably the best all around mainline flouro out there, handles great, ties great knots and is pretty abrasion resistant. I use Shooter and Upgrade for leaders and mainline for heavy baits like football jigs and spinnerbaits. Tatsu works good for everything else.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:07 am

I'll second the Shooter/Toray suggestion if stretch (lack of), abrasion resistance, and sensitivity are you top priorities. Just find a knot they like. I prefe the doubled San Diego Jam/Shaw Grigsby (many people have seen this video) knot.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:13 am

All fluorocarbons stretch, it's the nature of the beast. To what degree is a purely subjective observation with no basis in fact. My opinion is Tatsu exhibits as little stretch as any of the current high end choices.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:42 am

Thor wrote:All fluorocarbons stretch, it's the nature of the beast. To what degree is a purely subjective observation with no basis in fact. My opinion is Tatsu exhibits as little stretch as any of the current high end choices.
Stretch can be measured. TT did it in the Fluorocarbon shootout. At the time, Shooter was the lowest stretch I beleive.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:51 am

Yes, stretch can be measured, with proper equipment and testing procedures, not someone pulling on a little fish or a snag. If we assume you are correct and Shooter had the least stretch, the question is then, what was the difference and was it significant. I am confident that line being the commodity product that it is, then will be some lot to lot variation.

I could not find any testing that Tackle Tour has done to support your winner.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:29 am

http://tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html
There's the second test they did that was found to be more conclusive. Some good info about lines there if you haven't read it before.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:23 pm

Thor wrote:Yes, stretch can be measured, with proper equipment and testing procedures, not someone pulling on a little fish or a snag. If we assume you are correct and Shooter had the least stretch, the question is then, what was the difference and was it significant. I am confident that line being the commodity product that it is, then will be some lot to lot variation.

There is a very simple search tool on the TT site. Just type in "line test" and click the search tab. Try it sometime. :)

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:19 pm

Thanks for the link but that series of tests is from 2007 and Tatsu was not part of the testing.

Wow, this place has a simple search engine? I will need to remember that the next time someone else asks for umpteenth time about bearing sizes or best lube.

This link does have some numbers for Tatsu but only a few line samples are listed.

http://tackletour.com/reviewfpiintropg2.html

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:19 am

Thor wrote:Yes, stretch can be measured, with proper equipment and testing procedures, not someone pulling on a little fish or a snag. If we assume you are correct and Shooter had the least stretch, the question is then, what was the difference and was it significant. I am confident that line being the commodity product that it is, then will be some lot to lot variation.

Line is very subjective, especially when your discussing stretch and sensitivity. I use quite a few brands because some shine for me with a given technique but fall short with another. There is no winner as far as I'm concerned. When using Superhard Upgrade for example, I find it to be one of the most sensitive and abrasion resistant lines but you give up some when it comes to handling and knot strength. Shooter is very similar but I find Superhard is more abrasion resistant. Tatsu has a touch more stretch and a little less sensitivity in my hands but is much better when it comes to handling and knot strength. It's probably an all around better line for multiple techniques. Sniper is a great multiple technique line as well. I say try them all and decide for yourself which one best suits your needs.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:28 am

Agree with all your points. One other factor might be the size of the line your application calls for. The great majority of my fishing is finesse or ultralight, so 4 pound test lines are perfect. I never miss a chance to try a new line, if it looks like it has characteristics that fit my style. This is why some of the low end stuff receives no interest from me. Now, knot strength is a well known issue for fluorocarbons and for all the exotic knots available, none of them fixes this problem.

Tatsu is supple and easy to handle. Stretch is comparable with other high end products. Abrasion resistance is more about line thickness but what I use is easily at the upper end and much of my fishing has either granite boulders or barnacles as obstacles. Would I like it to have better knot strength? Yes but that appears to be part of the formulation that gives it the favorable refractive index.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:32 am

I tried Tatsu 25# for throwing Hudd 8s and missed every single strike including on by an estimated 5# less then 10 yards from me. Rod I was using has some tip so it's not the best with those big jig hooks that Hudds come with and why I went off searching for a braid/leader solution for bass similar to what I use offshore.