Tatsu

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
topwater junky
Angler
Angler

Tatsu

Post by topwater junky » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:27 pm

My first season using Seaguar Tatsu is rapidly coming to an end. Used 15lb on a Cronarch CI4+ with great results in a small clear river loaded with rocks fishing football jigs with craws for smallmouth bass. Broke off a few time between the rocks but never on a fish and there were many big fish. Yes this line is expensive but I still have 1/2 a spool left for next year. Had absolutely no line issues the entire season with the help of KVD line dressing and would recommend Tatsu to all fluorocarbon users. How do other users of Tatsu feel ?

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Tatsu

Post by Thor » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:12 pm

Best fluorocarbon currently available. As always, good knots are a must.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:26 pm

As TT members are OCD, it surprises me that anyone would use any other fluoro ;)

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:03 am

Those that have tried many high end fluoros know that each has its strengths and weaknesses. The soft outer layer on Tatsu allows it to tie very good knots for a fluoro (maybe the best), and be more supple, but it also takes away some of the sensitivity. Sunline Shooter and Toray Superhard Upgrade are much more sensitive in most people's hands.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:36 am

There is no best of all world's with fluorocarbon, for sure. I've been satisfied with Sniper, but I will eventually get around to trying Tatsu. Is it worth the price difference? I'm so stuck on both Defier and Armilo my want to try anything else has diminished significantly. I think that's a good thing :-k

topwater junky
Angler
Angler

Post by topwater junky » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:13 am

Regarding sensitivity I have used other Seaguar's, Gamma, and Toray not Shooter but with Tatsu I feel every pebble on the bottom with a 1/4oz football jig and craw not to mention the light hits of the SM bass. Will have to try other fluorocarbon one day but for now this is the best !

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:20 am

It's my favorite on spinning reels. It handles a lot like nylon but still has good sensitivity and abrasion resistance. For casting reels, I use Sniper, Shooter, Tatsu, and Superhard Upgrade. They all have their pros and cons.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:12 pm

njbasscat wrote:It's my favorite on spinning reels. It handles a lot like nylon but still has good sensitivity and abrasion resistance. For casting reels, I use Sniper, Shooter, Tatsu, and Superhard Upgrade. They all have their pros and cons.
Better on a spinning reel than Sniper? Now I must try some :big grin:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:33 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
njbasscat wrote:It's my favorite on spinning reels. It handles a lot like nylon but still has good sensitivity and abrasion resistance. For casting reels, I use Sniper, Shooter, Tatsu, and Superhard Upgrade. They all have their pros and cons.
Better on a spinning reel than Sniper? Now I must try some :big grin:
I had 8lb. Tatsu and Sniper on identical spinning dropshot setups for a few weeks during a good bite during the fall feed up a few years ago. I was catching about 30-50 fish a day with the occasional five and six pound fish mixed in. It was a good testing period for different lines. I feel that Tatsu gets the slight edge when it comes to handling, but the Sniper gets the slight edge when it comes to sensitivity. As I said before, Tatsu ties great knots. Sniper is a much better value in my opinion. I have a couple of bulk spools of 7lb. Sniper that I am trying to use up before I try Sunline's Finesse Fluoro. My guess is that it will also be slightly better handling, but less sensitive than Sniper.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:46 am

tatsu is awesome. Definitely my favorite flouro line but too bad it's so expensive :)

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:23 am

SPAZ wrote:tatsu is awesome. Definitely my favorite flouro line but too bad it's so expensive :)
I will agree that it's too damn expensive. TW had is on sale a while back and I grabbed a few spools. I beleive if you calculate the price per meter, it's the same as Toray Superhard and Sunline Shooter. They cost too much too. :D

HellaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HellaBass » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:25 am

Agreed good stuff when you can get a deal on it :)

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:07 am

I've used Shooter and yes it's a TAD more sensitive but not enough to over ride it's terrible handling. Shooter for Flipping and short distance work for bottom contact..............Tatsu for EVERTHING else.

kegger37
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kegger37 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:28 pm

HellaBass wrote:Agreed good stuff when you can get a deal on it :)
I too am coming to the end of my first full season with Tatsu and I think all the comments above are spot on. It's a great all around line, but if you're flipping...I use shooter with out a doubt. For everything else though I love Tatsu. Now, as for price, if you will recall last winter, Tacklewarehouse.com had Tatsu on sale at Christmas for $22 a spool. At that price, you CAN NOT go wrong! Let's see if they bring that back again this year, if so, I'll load up again. Otherwise I think it was said, but sniper is probably the better "value" if you're paying retail.