Trilene XL Reservations In Heavy Cover

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Trilene XL Reservations In Heavy Cover

Post by bob75 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:25 pm

I've been a user of Trilene XL (and Stren Original) for decades. For heavy cover (wood & pads) I use Stren Original and braid.

Prefer XL as it coils less compared to Stren. However, XL is less abrasion resistant and seems to have more stretch. XL is a stronger line per diameter compared to Stren.

Part of the year I fish heavy cover and am using Stren or braid. When finesse fishing lakes with light cover or fishing for smallies on Lake of the Woods I re-spool with Xl.

I would like to simplify my line requirements by sticking with XL and braid for pads (but not wood). Does anyone on this board feel comfortable in fishing Xl as their primary monofilament except in those conditions when stretch would be a problem?

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Trilene XL Reservations In Heavy Cover

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:44 am

Since Berkley's marketing of this line has stressed its manageability over its abrasion resistance, I would use a line with a reputation for more abrasion resistance in situations where that attribute is required.

Two suggestions: (1) you might google "armor coated XL reviews" and see whether that toughened version of XL would meet your needs; and (2) consider buying a spare spool for your reel (can be gotten direct from most manufacturers or, sometimes, bought from a reel repair shop) so that you won't have to respool if you alternate between XL and Stren.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:47 pm

I don't see a problem with using XL as your only mono. It's Berkley's first and original line... although it's been improved/updated many times over the years.

bradjames12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bradjames12 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:24 pm

I used Berkley XL for many years crappie fishing before I started bass fishing.
Caught many 10 pound channel catfish while fishing for crappie using 4 pound Berkley XL and it never failed.