a crazy experiment

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
amishfury
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

a crazy experiment

Post by amishfury » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:37 pm

so i found a 100yd spool of 4lb Stren...

yep... remington... not pure fishing, easily more than a decade old may have even been bought in the 90s i really couldn't say

going to spool it on my small spinning reel and see how it handles

begin taking bets on how this will go

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: a crazy experiment

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:35 pm

Generally speaking, if monofilament lines are stored away from sunlight, high heat, and solvents, they seem to be good forever. Original Stren is the only mono I have seen change noticeably during log-term storage. You will probably find, if you pinch the line for tension as you spool it on, that a white dust is deposited on your fingers. My guess is that that is leached-out lubricant that gave that line its exceptional abrasion resistance. I don't know whether that will affect the strength of the line, or just its abrasion resistance.

If your plan is to use the line in open water for panfish and small bass, you will probably be fine. Around cover, newer Stren would probably serve you better. But conserve petroleum and give it a try!

amishfury
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by amishfury » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:48 am

sunlight wouldn't be an issue however storage temperatures would have ranged from subzero to triple digits over the years it was in my garage

amishfury
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by amishfury » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:55 am

results of experiment... went out this morning and the line worked fine... until the final cast when it snapped resulting in a fish swimming around somewhere trailing a bobber

though the snap was probably from where the line tangled and knotted around the bobber and instead of cutting that section off and starting over i just let it go like that

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:18 pm

I've used some older fishing line, but no more than 5 years for me. Although it may not be useless, I feel like there is some degradation which has occurred over time. Thanks for posting your findings though.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:50 am

Bronzeye wrote:that a white dust is deposited on your fingers.
- I had an old bulk spool of Ande years ago that did this... the line was very weak. I think because it was stored on a open shelf, no box, the light may have deteriorated it. I'll never use a "powdery" line again.

But like Bronzeye said, sometimes, line can last a long time... I still have some mono from 2003 I use regularly, and it's good.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:03 am

Snyder Rods wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:that a white dust is deposited on your fingers.
- I had an old bulk spool of Ande years ago that did this... the line was very weak. I think because it was stored on a open shelf, no box, the light may have deteriorated it. I'll never use a "powdery" line again.

But like Bronzeye said, sometimes, line can last a long time... I still have some mono from 2003 I use regularly, and it's good.
I haven't noticed it as much lately, but 10 years ago every spool of mono I bought had that powdery substance on it straight out of the box. I always ran my line through a rag to clean it when spooling up. I'm guessing it's a by-product of the manufacturing process and that the process has either changed or they are cleaning the line better now. I've never seen anything that would indicate that nylon breaks down into a powder due to time.