Most abrasion resistant line (non flouro)

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Most abrasion resistant line (non flouro)

Post by Bassmar » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Apart from CXX and Yozuri Hybrid which I know are exceptional, what other lines compare to them when it comes to abrasion resistance? Excalibur Silver thread is good but nowhere near as abrasion resistant. I currently use CXX in 0.3mm for cranking and I must say it hold up far better than anything else I have tried. Any other suggestions?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Most abrasion resistant line (non flouro)

Post by tywithay » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:28 pm

Best I've used is Toray Bawo Superhard Polyamide Plus. I think it's the strongest mono out there, given the diameter. It tests out similar to fluoro when wet.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:04 pm

SunLine Defier/Amarilo is a great mono and abrasion resistant....but you're in a whole other price category when comparing to other monos...

Paul Shibata
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul Shibata » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:39 pm

From all of my tests, CXX is still the bad boy when it comes to tensile strength and abrasion resistance. However I now have 2 years under my belt with Voltage (P-Line) and it is really impressing me. It appears to have similar abrasion resistance and strength but the memory issue which plagues all "tough" lines is significantly less noticeable. Furthermore it has a coating which resists the harmful effects of ultraviolet rays thereby ensuring optimal performance for longer periods.

Try it I am sure you'll be extremely pleased if you are seeking a "tough" conventional monofilament.

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:09 am

I like Sufix Tritanium Plus. Had it rub some pylons with a striper hooked on, it was definitely torn up but I brought the fish up no problem :D Been using it for 5+ years.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:28 am

Paul Shibata wrote:From all of my tests, CXX is still the bad boy when it comes to tensile strength and abrasion resistance. However I now have 2 years under my belt with Voltage (P-Line) and it is really impressing me. It appears to have similar abrasion resistance and strength but the memory issue which plagues all "tough" lines is significantly less noticeable. Furthermore it has a coating which resists the harmful effects of ultraviolet rays thereby ensuring optimal performance for longer periods.

Try it I am sure you'll be extremely pleased if you are seeking a "tough" conventional monofilament.
This is interesting. I have never tried a P Line that I have not liked. The CX and Floroclear are excellent lines on spinning gear but due to being quite soft are not very abrasion resistant. I am very pleased with CXX but for some reason they do not have a line in a 0.28 diameter. They skip from 0.23 to 0.31. I see Voltage has a 0.285 line. I seem to recall reading somewhere that this line was mainly aimed at the saltwater market. So it should be pretty abrasion resistant. Will get a spool to try.

Any other suggestions?

t-Smalle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by t-Smalle » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:50 pm

Izorline XXX Copolymer is an excellent line as well and very abrasion resistant.

doublethree
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by doublethree » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:10 pm

Is Sunline Super Natural any good on abrasion resistance?

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:05 am

doublethree wrote:Is Sunline Super Natural any good on abrasion resistance?
I would rate it average to just above average.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:00 am

Abrasion resistance is all about line thickness. Look at any of the published testing and OD always trumps other line attributes. Fluorocarbons have become the standard in saltwater because they are a little thicker than monos and people believe that fish can't see them.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:05 pm

My experience in saltwater with fluor tells me they rate from poor to worse in the abrassion department, if you get a kink they will also snap quit easily regardless of the # or thickness. Braid fares even worse unfortunately. Mono is your best choice when abrassion resistance is important. CXX is very good while Momoi's Hi Catch (Diamond) is one of the best, but also thicker than most for it's # rating. I am using Seaguar Senshi 12#, Sunline Super Natural 12# & Sunline Defier 11#. I will post my thoughts later on.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm

Thor wrote:Abrasion resistance is all about line thickness. Look at any of the published testing and OD always trumps other line attributes. Fluorocarbons have become the standard in saltwater because they are a little thicker than monos and people believe that fish can't see them.
I must disagree with your first statement. 0.3 P-line Cx or Flouroclear is nowhere near as abrasion resistant as the same diameter CXX. I have used all three extensivly for the same application and there is a noticable difference. The same goes for a lot of other lines I have fished. I find that the more limp and managable lines (those touted as being good on spinning reels) in general have less abrasion resistance than the stiffer lines.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:34 pm

No problem, we can agree to disagree. I try not to make personal judgements without actual testing or much greater anecdotal experience.

Commercial fishermen have long felt that fluorocarbon makes great leaders. Heavy leaders when they can get away with it and going lighter when the bite gets tough.

Monos can have formulations that make the line stiff or softer. 2 theories on abrasion resistance. Hard lines take more cycles but are always in greater contact due to their stiffness. Soft lines take fewer cycles but are always in lesser contact due to their limpness.

Not trying to convince you, we disagree but remember that everything is not so intuitive.