Braid on Casting Reels

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Lagvpi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Braid on Casting Reels

Post by Lagvpi » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:32 am

Several years ago I decided to try braid more...

I began with Spiderwire Stealth and then tried Suffix Performance Braid. The lines were tough and soft but I had the same problems with both...on a cast where I really 'muscled' the rod to get max distance the line would knot up on the spool - stopping the bait after 1/3 cast. I got rid of all of my braid except my heavy flipping stuff where the spool RPM's were low and never resulted in a problem.

After casting my Father's old Calcuttas with Power Pro and Tuff-Line XP on it about three years ago and not having any problems I tried braid again...this time Power Pro in 20/30/40/50lb - all on Chronarch 200E's. I even went with yellow - as I planned on a leader. Cast great with NO stopped casts.

I recently bought two Tatula Type-R's. Love them. I simply moved my PowerPro over to them with great success - casting incredible. BUT...I wanted to try Smackdown by Seaguar. Went yesterday with this line. Extremely quiet and great handling. But my casting issue is back. I removed the 30lb on my cranking rod half-way through the day and went back to Power Pro. 'Half' effort casts are typically smooth with very little backlash issues - but I want the extra 10' when fishing off-shore.

Does anyone else have this problem? What is the 'reel' issue here?

I set my reels VERY free - 1 magnet on Shimanos and a #2 setting on my Tatulas but my spool tension is very light. I want to get max performance out of my cast. Am I getting too many RPM's?

And no, I don't have any problems losing fish cranking with braid. :talk hand:

jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Braid on Casti ng Reels

Post by jholton » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:51 am

Sounds like the typical braid dig in. There seems to be less dig in with higher end braid, 8 strand etc. I've been using smackdown lately and havent had the dig in problems. Some suggest spooling it on really tight to help.
There should be plenty of posts on the subject.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Braid on Casting Reels

Post by MaxZmus » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Its just the way it is. Hard forceful casts create toouch over run and always hangs on hard casts. You can tigjyt?en up the spool tension or turn on more brakes. Spooling braid on tight doesnt really matter because it will get loose after the first few casts anyways.

Lagvpi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lagvpi » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:23 pm

Agreed, it isn't dig in. It's the loops that form on a really hard cast.

So far SW Stealth, Sufix Performance Braid, and Smackdown are the worst offenders.

PowerPro and Tuff-Line XP are better...any others recommended?

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:18 am

i've had good luck with sunline fx2 so far...switched all my braid to really heavy just so i can use it....did not like sx1 which really dug into itself i found.....

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:21 am

I agree that it sounds like you're burying the line on either casting blow ups or hook sets. Tight spooling is great but will only last until your first bad overruns, etc.

You can minimize the effects of digging as well as clearing backlashes by first throwing out enough braid to cover a cast or two (somewhere in the middle for me, personally, since I use leaders and don't chop a lot of braid down over the course of a season).

Then apply tape on the spool. I use that Nexcare absolute waterproof tape...first aid stuff...it doesn't leave an adhesive tar like black tape and it stays forever with no residue that I've noticed. Also sticks better than that thinner colored electrical tape. It's handy stuff for a lot of things...spool backing, bandaging (obviously :lol:), covering the indicator lights on my Terrova so I'm not blinded at night. Kind of like a forgiving very light-duty duct tape in a lot of ways.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:31 am

Braid diameter should match the diameter of mono you would use for the same setup. 30 pd braid is usually too thin for most bait casters. I recommend trying at least a 50 pound which is at usually 10-12 pound diameter. I always use a mono backing too. I like the original spider wire and stren mega braid best. All braided line needs to be broken in for best results. Once you get it soft and the coating is off it casts much better. The Moss green colored should be a light green color when it is broken in.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:46 am

Crappielimits wrote:Braid diameter should match the diameter of mono you would use for the same setup. 30 pd braid is usually too thin for most bait casters.
I have never had any issue, nor heard of anyone having issues, with thin braid on casting reels. That's much of the point of their appeal, other than line strength. Braid for bait casters doesn't start at 50lb.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:23 am

WoodT wrote:
Crappielimits wrote:Braid diameter should match the diameter of mono you would use for the same setup. 30 pd braid is usually too thin for most bait casters.
I have never had any issue, nor heard of anyone having issues, with thin braid on casting reels. That's much of the point of their appeal, other than line strength. Braid for bait casters doesn't start at 50lb.
I have 33lb Toray Finesse Braid on a Zillion with a 100M spool and it casts perfectly. For many years all I used was 20lb Power Pro and never had any issues.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:28 pm

WoodT wrote:
The guy up above is having issues just trying to help. 50 pound braid is ten pound diameter. 30 pound is usually 8 pound diameter which is more common for spinning reels. Even with mono, you can typically cast heavier line with less issues. Not to say it is for everyone but I have helped many before who come back and thanked me. So it may not be for everyone but does work for some.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:32 pm

njbasscat wrote:
WoodT wrote:
I have 33lb Toray Finesse Braid on a Zillion with a 100M spool and it casts perfectly. For many years all I used was 20lb Power Pro and never had any issues.
Nice reel! That reel would throw a 1/16th ounce on 4 pound test. This is another good point about super tuning or buying a finesse reel for smaller lines.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:04 am

Zillion with 4# test and 1/16oz lure? Maybe your thinking of a presso,pixy, or conquest 50? I loved my zillions, but they were always for a heavier application.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:55 am

Crappielimits wrote:30 pd braid is usually too thin for most bait casters.

I'm another one that will say poppy-thingie to this idea. The poster needs to smooth out his casting motion, become very consistent with that motion and stop throwing to the fences.

oe

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:13 am

I find that different braids have different properties so when I find one that I like, then that's what I use. Could be anything from the coating to the number of strands, etc.

Lagvpi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lagvpi » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:27 am

My casting motion is fine. 20lb - 65lb Power Pro is fine - and I may have to go back to PP but...

I've been fishing casting gear since 8 years old ( a long time ago) and when I want to sling a crank to fish off-shore structure I want to sling it a long way. I don't like to use much in the way of cast control to be able to get max distance or control without the reel doing it for me.

I have tried Tuff-Line XP and so far so good.

I will also add that Stren Sonic Braid gave me no issues.