Line suggestions for cranks/jerkbait/topwater

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
mvb31
Angler
Angler

Line suggestions for cranks/jerkbait/topwater

Post by mvb31 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:19 am

Just recently picked up a megabass xx flat side special. will be using this rod mainly for my shallow/mid cranks, lipless cranks, jerkbaits, topwater, and maybe even some soft plastics. Been looking into the Sunline Defier Armilo 13#. Any other suggestions/recommendations? thnx.
Last edited by mvb31 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Line suggestions for cranks/jerkbait/topwater

Post by Pen3 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:42 am

I have no used the Armilo and it is supposed to be less stretch than regular Defier, but if it still holds the other old Defier characteristics then you can't go wrong. Best mono for me.

G3Steve
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by G3Steve » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:43 am

For mono I like Sufix Siege. I've since switched to 30lb power pro SS8 with Siege 12lb leader for cranking and topwater. Not the popular choice but I prefer braid as mainline.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:38 am

15-17lb Defier...13lbs if you want a more finesse/thinner line. As stated, if Armilo is tougher, while retaining most of the other original Defier strengths, then I would go this route around cover.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:04 am

dragon1 wrote:15-17lb Defier...13lbs if you want a more finesse/thinner line. As stated, if Armilo is tougher, while retaining most of the other original Defier strengths, then I would go this route around cover.
X2. Defier is the bees knees. I just got some Armilo but haven't fished it yet so I can't compare the two.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:50 pm

I just recently picked up some Suffix Elite mono in 10lb. for cranking. I REALLY like it and will be using it throughout the summer for cranking. Really limp, thin, and no memory. I am throwing a shadrap with a Scorpion 1000 and I am getting great distances with this because of the limpness of the line. It does real well for the deep crankers as well. I think it would be worth your while to try a spool.

Crankbaitmaker.

kegger37
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kegger37 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Sufix for me too, good line, and easy on the wallet.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:11 pm

You will get a lot of different answers to your question. I can see myself using multiple lines for the baits you listed. I prefer mono for my shallow/med cranks, I like to use FC for my SP jerkbaits and bottom contact baits, top water would be a mix between braid and mono/copoly depending on the bait being used.

If your looking for a one line for all situation, I feel like one of the better copoly lines would work well for most of the baits you listed.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:53 am

FWIW, 8lb CXX is a good all-around cranking, jerkbait and topwater line for 1/2oz size or lighter lures.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:15 am

I have Defier Armilo in 11lb and 13lb. Aside from the regular Defier and Toray Bawo Polyamide Plus, there's not another mono/copoly that's even in the same class. I would highly recommend either Armilo or Polyamide Plus for cranks/topwaters/etc. because they both have very little stretch; just enough to keep the fish pinned.

crankmaniac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by crankmaniac » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:18 am

dragon1 wrote:FWIW, 8lb CXX is a good all-around cranking, jerkbait and topwater line for 1/2oz size or lighter lures.
X2 on this.Strong , low stretch and cheap.My favorite all-around line. ;)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:34 am

crankmaniac wrote:
dragon1 wrote:FWIW, 8lb CXX is a good all-around cranking, jerkbait and topwater line for 1/2oz size or lighter lures.
X2 on this.Strong , low stretch and cheap.My favorite all-around line. ;)
This is my back up/bread & butter "power-finesse" co-poly....works awesome for a very good price.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:41 am

SNIPER

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:20 am

I fished both the Sunline FCSniper 10lb and 12lb for Jerkbaits(10) and Crankbaits(12) and both lines handled well. Provided a little stretch during the fight when fish made good runs the line, rod and drag all worked fine together. For top waters a straight braid with a 1-3ft section of Mono would be better. The Fluoro sinks and you want a line that will lay across the surface well. On the opposite when fishing Cranks and Jerkbaits I love how the Fluoro sinks a little as well as providing abrasion resistance and invisibility.

I'm trying something new on my Jerkbait rod as I was more than happy with Sniper for ripping and cranking however I felt like the jerk bait could either use more stretch in the line or a softer rod. Giving Sunline ReactionFC Fluorocarbon in 10lb for Jerkbaits. I'll write after the summer on how it pans out. Very, very slick and smooth.