fluoro or braid for shaky/drop shot

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
NJ Bass Fishing
Angler
Angler

fluoro or braid for shaky/drop shot

Post by NJ Bass Fishing » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:03 am

I've always used 20lb 832 on my shaky head rod, but now I am getting into drop shoting and I was planning on using the same rod for both techniques. Overall, just wondering which line type would be best.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: fluoro or braid for shaky/drop shot

Post by toddmc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:49 pm

How deep are you fishing? What type of cover/structure?

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:26 pm

I like braid on the drop shot to avoid obvious twist..something in the .007" size. Typically a 10-15 lb braid, with a a wives and 6'-ish fluoro leader.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:49 pm

16lb sx1 with 6-8lb sniper leader.

NJ Bass Fishing
Angler
Angler

Post by NJ Bass Fishing » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:55 am

I fish shakey heads and drop shots at about every depth ranging from inches to 30 feet. I never throw either in heavy cover usually around some type of submerged structure such as, rocks and tree trunks.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:29 am

NJ Bass Fishing wrote:I fish shakey heads and drop shots at about every depth ranging from inches to 30 feet. I never throw either in heavy cover usually around some type of submerged structure such as, rocks and tree trunks.
I fish braid around shallow vegetation when I absolutely have to. There is not much slack line feel with braid on long casts in deep water because there is more of a bow in your line. Remember that the majority of the fish hit on the initial drop and fluoro gives you a much better chance to feel the fish on a slack line drop. Yes, you can fish braid and keep the slack out of your line, but you won't get as many bites. Braid is also fun when you are fishing vertically. My home lake is deep and clear with many of the best finesse fisherman on the planet. We have to resort to 4 and 5lb fluoro to make extra long casts to very weary fish. The drop shot bite is pretty played out here on the West Coast. It will always be a major technique, but every Joe can fish it well out here and the fish are pounded with it. I would love to fish in a place, like the Great Lakes, where most of the fish have never seen a drop shot. It was amazing fishing the drop shot here in the nineties when it first started.

arbogastjunkie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by arbogastjunkie » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:33 am

cndbasshunter wrote:16lb sx1 with 6-8lb sniper leader.
x2

johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johnnybass » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:43 am

Even without the bow, braid is tougher to detect "negative" strikes then fluoro. That being said, I can't stand the twist or using a swivel so I usually end up with 16lb braid.