Braided Samurai vs Power Pro SS8 vs Sufix 832

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:52 am

I use both Power Pro SS8 and Sufix 832 braided line in 20 pound test and they have proved adequate for most of my fishing. I’ve heard good things about Samurai and tried it, but got several break-offs. I suspect this was because of the Samurai’s actual break strength being close to the line rating….as opposed to PP and Sufix being underrated (much higher break strength). From what I’ve been able to determine thru my “break-testing”, the Samurai 20 pound rated line is more comparable to the 10 pound rated PP SS8 or Sufix 832. The measured “diameter” of the 20 lb Samurai is still slightly smaller than the 10 lb rated PP and Sufix. I have ordered some 30 and 40 pound Samurai to see how it’ll compare to 20 pound rated PP SS8 and Sufix 832 in break strength and diameter.
Measuring the “diameter” of braided line is a challenge in itself since it flattens out. I measure with calipers and after closing on the line, I allow the caliper to relax (expand) to accommodate the line without undue pressure before taking the reading. It’s interesting to note that when the Samurai and PP (or Sufix) were both placed in the caliper jaws, the Samurai was loose compared to the PP.
So, I guess the “bottom line” (no pun intended) is that when trying to determine comparable braided lines, the manufacturer’s line ratings could be misleading. There are of course, other line attributes to consider besides strength to diameter.
Has anyone else had similar experience with these lines?
Last edited by jim spooner on Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Braided Samurai vs Power Pro SS8 vs Sufix 823

Post by steve1206 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:36 am

What you found it the exact situation found with many other monos and fluorocarbons, but I think there are less "class labeled" braids on the market in the US, than other types of line...How a manufacturer chooses to label their package, varies, based on philosophy...or lb. test vs. class. A lb. test rating, typically a US way of doing things, means the label rating is a minimum breaking load for a line (and its usually much higher than the number, hence the higher diameter). A class line is typically labeled to break very close to the label rating on a consistent basis. We all know this is a constant battle and the reason that line should be shopped for, based on diameter, not label rating. Where a lot of confusion that I have witnessed comes into play, is assuming that a class line is stronger, based on a labeled strength having a lower diameter...this is usually irrelevant. Example...Just because 10lb SunLine Supernatural mono has a lower diameter than 10 lb. Sufix Seige mono, Supernatural must be a better line...Don't fall into that trap. It may or may not be true, but you cannot make the determination by reading the label.

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:22 am

FWIW, my further “tests”(with 30 and 40 lb Samurai) have indicated that 40 pound Samurai would be comparable to 20 pound Power Pro SS8 or Sufix 832 in both thickness and break strength (Sufix is slightly larger dia). The way that I tested, the knots were part of the failure results as every break was at the knot (Uni or Palomar).

In summary:
Samurai 20 lb dia=.006” breaks @ 13 lbs 1 oz
Samurai 30 lb dia=.007” breaks @ 19 lbs 4 oz
Samurai 40 lb dia=.009” breaks @ 24 lbs 1 oz
PP SS8 20 lb dia=.009” breaks @ 24 lbs 8 oz
Sufix 832 10lb dia=.008” breaks @ 15lbs 9oz
Sufix 832 20 lb dia=.010” breaks @ 20 lbs 1 oz

The “diameter” shown is obviously a misnomer because of the braid collapsing. I measured the line flattened (thickness) with calipers. If both the flat width and length could have been measured, the resulting area would’ve been more indicative of the actual diameter.
Last edited by jim spooner on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Braided Samurai vs Power Pro SS8 vs Sufix 823

Post by Thor » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:19 am

Knots are more critical with braid than with other types of line.

My testing is with much lighter lines but in all cases, the lines break somewhere other than the knot. I have even had braid break when tied to mono/fluoro leaders that were heavy enough.

I am very surprised with the results of the Samurai, which I use often for heavier jigging/bottom applications. As an 8 strand line, it is very supple with little coating, so ties beautiful knots. I am most familiar with the 30 pound and use 50 pound fluoro for the leader. Doubling the braid is an easy method of gaining more from your favorite knot.

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Braided Samurai vs Power Pro SS8 vs Sufix 832

Post by jim spooner » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:29 am

I figure that the knot is, in most cases, the “weakest link in the chain” and I based my testing on normal fishing conditions….I.E. replicating the line as normally tied to a lure with the knot that I would normally use. Since break-offs have seldom been an issue for me, I haven’t pursued looking into a knot that might perform better than the Uni- knot. There are undoubtedly better/stronger knots, but the Uni is easy to tie …even in the wind. I also feel that if a breakage should occur, I’d prefer it to be at the knot rather than somewhere along the line which may require me to re-spool the line to keep the optimum (full) spool capacity.
Further testing has shown that by doubling the line around the hook, the break-off values increase. Surprisingly, the Samurai significantly more than the Power Pro SS8 or the Sufix 832.

The amended test results:
Samurai 20lb .006” break fail @ 13- 1 (15- 5 w/line doubled around hook)
Samurai 30 lb .007” break fail @ 19- 4 (23-9 w/line doubled around hook)
Samurai 40lb .009” break fail @ 24-1 (28-11 w/line doubled around hook)
PP SS8 10lb .008
PP SS8 20lb .009 break fail @ 24-8 (25-4 w/line doubled around hook)
Sufix 832 10lb .008 break fail @ 15-9
Sufix 832 20lb .010 break fail @ 20-1 (20-11oz w/line doubled around hook)
PP 10lb .008
PP 20lb .011

Notes:
The “diameter” is actually the measured (calipers) thickness of the line.
Uni-knots were used for these tests.
Break fail given is pounds-ounces

G3Steve
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by G3Steve » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:53 pm

I can't really contribute much to this conversation.

I've only used SS8 and love it. Super thin, super slick, casts great. It actually feels like floss when wet.

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:36 am

For now, I use strictly Sufix 832 in 20# and 30# test lines.
The way I test my line is hooking one end to a door knob and the other end to a digital scale grip.
I used the improved clinch knot for both ends and these are the results:
20# breaks at 20lb and 2oz
30# breaks at 30lb and 3oz

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:00 pm

Lexy,
I'm surprised that your line breaks before it slips.

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:19 pm

jim spooner wrote:Lexy,
I'm surprised that your line breaks before it slips.
Slips are due to failed knots.
Improved Clinch knot never fails me.

I did a similar test with the regular PP line that I still have left from 2 years ago and these are the results:
20# breaks at 18lb and 8oz
30# breaks at 27lb and 10oz

I cannot confirm if PP test is 100% accurate because I bought the spools about 3-4 years ago.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:21 am

Jim Sponner wrote: "The “diameter” shown is obviously a misnomer because of the braid collapsing. I measured the line flattened (thickness) with calipers. If both the flat width and length could have been measured, the resulting area would’ve been more indicative of the actual diameter."

Hi Jim,

You need a better way to measure the diameter of the braided line. I suggest you get a Mike-Rite leader/tippet gauge. It is primarily for mono or fluro but will work with braid. It has a series of slots of different sizes. You lay the line over the slot and find the one that the line will fit into. With a little trial and error you will find the measurement to be pretty accurate. Better than collapsing the line with a micrometer. When you collapsing the line there is no way to tell from line to line how much pressure you are putting on the line with the micrometer.

Frank

Mike-Rite leader gauge $19.95

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:24 am

Lexy,
Your test results for the 832 are similar to mine. While doing your testing, where are the breaks occurring? I also used Improved Clinch knots for a few years (before going to the Uni), but to ensure against slipping, I used super glue on them.

Frank,
I appreciate the tip, but I think the calipers can be used in the same way by locking them at a given width. Also, keeping the braided line in tension while measuring does help maintain some semblance of roundness. The calipers can also be used to compare two different lines at the same time to determine the smaller of the two. The Mike-Rite could probably be used the same way.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:24 pm

Hi Jim,

Keeping the line under tension may make it round but it will also reduce the line diameter to some degree. How will you determine that you are keeping each line under the same tension?

I measured one braid line with the Mike Rite to be .010 dia and looked it up on the manufacture site. They listed the diameter as .01023. It is best that you use what ever system you are comfortable with.

Frank

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:46 am

The Mike-Rite “slots” are undoubtedly accurate, but the problem of accurately measuring braid still persists because of possible line distortion when inserting into the slots. The calipers or any other one-dimensional measuring device would fare no better.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:50 am

Here is some info about line diameter and breaking strain/diameter ratio:

http://oceanbluefishing.com.au/2010/06/ ... ter-chart/

cjr4497
Angler
Angler

Post by cjr4497 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:13 pm

most line is rated by its breaking strength with a fishing knot, and not the line's actual tensile strength,knotless breaking strength. the samurai is obviously rated by its tensile strength.