Seeking Info on Sinking Braid Line

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Seeking Info on Sinking Braid Line

Post by BlaineFred » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:50 am

I have read parts of some threads that discuss, in part, sinking braid. Among these are Sufix 832 and a type made by Spiderwire. There's also a new Sufix sinking braid, but some people say that it's simply a rebrand of a Rapala line made from titanium.

I decided to highlight the topic in a separate thread to learn more from the experiences of others.

Obviously, all braid will sink if there is enough weight on the line. I fish tourneys as a co-angler, and I have a multi-purpose rig with braid that I use either as a top-water rig where the braid floats, or as a Carolina rig where I add a leader and a heavy weight. The latter rig has proven to be very sensitive.

My other braid application is on a baitcasting finesse worm rig where I use 30-lb braid, usually without a leader when in stained water. I fish in the Potomac where there's heavy grass, so I will use braid without a leader. I would prefer to use a sinking braid for this rig.

I am especially curious about the Seaguar braids.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Seeking Info on Sinking Braid Line

Post by FrankW » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:11 am

I have one rod set up with the Spiderwire sinking braid. It functions just like other braids as far as knot tying and flexibility. I still have not made up my mind if it is what I want or need. It is true that any braid will sink with enough weight on the end. At least part of the line will sink. I tried the Spiderwire sinking braid because I thought it might allow the lure to sink faster in the times I want a fast sinking lure. I also thought it might be a better choice for cranks or spinner baits in heavy cover and you don't want to put up with Fluro. 20lb braid will certainly behave better than 20lb Fluro. So it is my thinking that a sinking braid will be a better choice than Fluro when you need to use a line weight above 20lb or so. The sinking braid may also be a better choice with worms or tubes at long distance.

It all comes down to using the correct line for the application at hand. I think the sinking braid has a place but I am not sure what is the best sinking braid available at the present time.

Frank

tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tosakilla » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 am

the spider wire braid is not very good at all, was fishing with my dad and he was constantly breaking of the 40lb, looked at his line and it was frayed everywhere, yet the rod and line guide passed the cue tip test. The suffix 832 is a great line, but I wouldn't say it sinks, its more neutrally buoyant. I don't have any experience with the suffix sinking braid but I would probably go with the 832 if i was you.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:42 am

tosakilla wrote:the spider wire braid is not very good at all, was fishing with my dad and he was constantly breaking of the 40lb, looked at his line and it was frayed everywhere, yet the rod and line guide passed the cue tip test. The suffix 832 is a great line, but I wouldn't say it sinks, its more neutrally buoyant. I don't have any experience with the suffix sinking braid but I would probably go with the 832 if i was you.
+1