Leader Length

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Leader Length

Post by mprestonSEK » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:48 pm

When using braid, how long of a leader do you use? Lately I have been experimenting with different lengths to see what I like the most and I find myself leaning more toward a leader ranging from 14-20 inches. I use 50lb Power Pro braid and tie my leaders with 14lb Sunline Super Fluorocarbon. For my line connection I have been using the double uni knot.

What leader length do you prefer? Why?
What knot do you use when connecting your braid to your leader?

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Leader Length

Post by angry john » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:16 pm

I use about 4.5-5 feet, the length from my tip to hook keeper, then i tie on a bait and loose a few inches. I change it out when i see wear or get down to about 24" or so. Very clear water here, so i need more leader than most. I used the alberto before but now am using the double uni based on a lot less failures. Guess my knot tying skills like the uni better.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:20 pm

angry john wrote:I use about 4.5-5 feet, the length from my tip to hook keeper, then i tie on a bait and loose a few inches. I change it out when i see wear or get down to about 24" or so. Very clear water here, so i need more leader than most. I used the alberto before but now am using the double uni based on a lot less failures. Guess my knot tying skills like the uni better.
I tied the uni to uni for years, fly fishing. I will vouch for the fact that the Alberto will crush the uni to uni, when tied properly.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Leader length is lure dependent for me. I use leader lengths from about 8 inches up to 15 ft when freshwater bass fishing.

Topwater Sammy's and other baits see the the shortest leaders, carolina rigs are run 12-36 inches and when I fish Nanofil on a spinning rod I use a 15 ft leader (long leader is for a better sinkrate of a weightless fluke--nanofil is buoyant and I like its superior casting distance).

Uni-Uni is a great knot for the short leaders when the knot will be outside your rod guides - I have never had breakage problems with this simple knot. If you want a knot that will cast beautifully, check these videos out...I have seen this knot being called by at least three different names -- not sure of appropriate name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xZjRw_BhXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8 (skip to 2 minute mark for the goods)
both are the same knot tied slightly differently. When properly tied It will cast without snagging - works great.

There is actually a faster way to tie this knot, however I haven't found a video demonstrating this method.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:01 am

steve1206 wrote:
angry john wrote:I use about 4.5-5 feet, the length from my tip to hook keeper, then i tie on a bait and loose a few inches. I change it out when i see wear or get down to about 24" or so. Very clear water here, so i need more leader than most. I used the alberto before but now am using the double uni based on a lot less failures. Guess my knot tying skills like the uni better.
I tied the uni to uni for years, fly fishing. I will vouch for the fact that the Alberto will crush the uni to uni, when tied properly.
x2. knot failure on alberto knot usually means the knot is not tight enough during the final process. Resulting in the line slipping on hard pulls. Try forming the knot slowly, make it as evenly as possible. Use a plier / stick to wrap the tag end to tight it down first. Then the mainline. Use as much force as possible . ( close to the line breaking strength ). You'll end up with a very small, very hard knot.

I run alberto knots, my buddy use double uni knot. When snagged, more often than not, I ended up with half of a leader while he would have the whole leader missing.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:11 am

I always went pretty long with my leaders especially if I was retying a lot, like when crankbaiting in rock. I like the idea of keeping my leader tying to a minimum in the field so I'd start out long. I've used a few of the well known knots and my favs are the Alberto and the FG. Alberto is easier to tie faster and the knot finishes pretty small depending on line size. Using heavier lines, which is what I use all the time now, I found that I like the FG better because the diameter of the knot when finished is so much smaller than other knots and it glides through the guides nicely. You may want to try the Albright since you are using small enough diameter line where the knot diameter won't be an issue. The knot finishes fatter than the Alberto but IMO, it's even easier to tie than the Alberto. All of these knots are super strong when tied correctly. Once you settle on a knot, take your time to practice it as many times as you can stand to. Also look into getting some finger savers, they are awesome.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:25 am

x2 on the finger savers. I tie an albright and then reel knot to the rod tip, pull leader line out until it reaches rod butt then clip it on spool and cut.Always as long as the rod Im using.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:47 am

hobobob wrote:x2. knot failure on alberto knot usually means the knot is not tight enough during the final process. Resulting in the line slipping on hard pulls. Try forming the knot slowly, make it as evenly as possible. Use a plier / stick to wrap the tag end to tight it down first. Then the mainline. Use as much force as possible . ( close to the line breaking strength ). You'll end up with a very small, very hard knot.

I run alberto knots, my buddy use double uni knot. When snagged, more often than not, I ended up with half of a leader while he would have the whole leader missing.

The tag end will tighten the second set of loops that are over-locking the first set. I tighten both lines (main & tag) together until pretty snug, then firmly tighten the main line followed by the tag line. If you're tag is supple leave it 1/2" long.

oe

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:12 pm

I generally tie on a rod length of Flourocarbon leader and use either a Back to back Uni or an Imp Albright. In larger diameter lines I find the Uni to get a little too bulky whereas a well tied Improved Albright will pass through the guides a lot better. Generally speaking the clearer the water the longer the leader, but a rod length is usually sufficient.
John :shock:

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:30 am

takrat 67 wrote:I generally tie on a rod length of Flourocarbon leader and use either a Back to back Uni or an Imp Albright. In larger diameter lines I find the Uni to get a little too bulky whereas a well tied Improved Albright will pass through the guides a lot better. Generally speaking the clearer the water the longer the leader, but a rod length is usually sufficient.
John :shock:

x2 =D> , well said