Is this good or bad? I'm confused

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Is this good or bad? I'm confused

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Power Pro Zero impact braided line -
Every 20 feet there is a portion of line that is 50% stronger than the rest of the line. Please tie your knots here, the termination zone. I understand that marketing niches are needed to push a product, but why not just make the entire spool of line as strong as the termination zone? How much cutting am I gonna have to do in order to reach the next termination zone, 20 ft? How long is the termination zone? How weak is the non termination zone? Is anyone going to buy this stuff? :-k :-k :-k

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is this good or bad? I'm confused

Post by Wachtel » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:29 am

Not me!

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:55 am

The best I remember the "termination zone" or black portion of the line is 3 feet. Non blackened portions of line are whatever pound test it says on the box, they are still labeled the same as any braid from Power Pro. Take 50# for example, all the green (or yellow) sections of line are 50# test, the black sections on 50# test are actually 80#.

I'll pick up at least one spool just to see what it's all about even though I've never had any failures using S8S.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Not a product for me. The PE lines I splice leader to, or tie direct to lures are typically stronger than what I need. I am not having knot failures either. For me this product is reinventing the wheel...

FUNTOPUNCH
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FUNTOPUNCH » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:59 am

Seems as the this is a product designed to compensate for anglers who are either poor at tying splice-knots, or are using the wrong knot varieties to begin with.

Sort of a comical product, IMO.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:10 pm

I thought the idea of the product wasn't necessarily for better knots, but better impact resistance from hooksets. A lot of people use mono 'shock' leaders, shouldn't be necessary with this line in certain applications.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:49 pm

The black part of the line is just some rubber adhesive that helps line slippage. Not needed if you tie properlly.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:57 am

cndbasshunter wrote:The black part of the line is just some rubber adhesive that helps line slippage. Not needed if you tie properlly.
This is 100% BS. It isn't "rubber adhesive", it's simply thicker braid in the black sections. It's for better retained knot strength, all braid loses some strength at the knot no matter how "properly" you tie it.

Look up the Larry Dahlberg video from ICAST, he explains it very well.

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:58 pm

It all seems a little overly complicated to me, but these days it's not difficult to get me confused. In any case I'm staying with Suffix 832 and tying proper knots line to leader. Seldom have a problem that way.

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:18 am

I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:07 pm

This is just a clever way to ensure that you waste as much line as possible every time you need to retie. You have to cut of 3 feet of "weak" line to get to the "strong" section again. :x Those marketing types are getting cleverer by the day. :roll: