braid or fluoro for...

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

braid or fluoro for...

Post by Chode » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:40 am

bottom contact like shakey and jigs...i keep hearing conflicting advice on what line to use...half say use braid because it's the most sensitive line but others say use fluoro cause u'll be able to pick up the ticks when the line is slack...so what is it?

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: braid or fluoro for...

Post by vinnieb729 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:42 pm

It's exactly as you said. Braid has very little to zero slack line sensitivity (think of a rope) and floats. Fluoro has very good slack line sensitivity (think of a wire) and sinks.

Personal preference and how you fish your bait. I have more slack line when fishing jigs/worms and hop the bait and let it rest, and prefer fluoro. My friend likes straight braid, but he kinda drags the lure across the bottom never having much slack in the line.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Just watched a video on Shakey head fishing by Jeff Kreit. He says that he uses braid when fishing shallower than 15 ft and flouro in deeper than 15 ft. Suppose it has to do with the sinking/floating properties of fluoro vs braid.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:33 pm

vinnieb729 wrote:It's exactly as you said. Braid has very little to zero slack line sensitivity (think of a rope) and floats. Fluoro has very good slack line sensitivity (think of a wire) and sinks.

Personal preference and how you fish your bait. I have more slack line when fishing jigs/worms and hop the bait and let it rest, and prefer fluoro. My friend likes straight braid, but he kinda drags the lure across the bottom never having much slack in the line.
This is stellar advice =D>

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:42 pm

thx for the advice guys

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:54 am

How about BOTH!?!

I LOVE braid for my main line, 10-65# and then a good fluorocarbon leader. Use the Alberto/mod-Albright knot and you are golden! I think it's the best of both worlds.

For example my jig setup is a 7'1" MH with a Steez baitcaster spooled with 50# braid and connected to a 8' fluorocarbon leader. With 3/8-5/8oz jigs this setup is DEADLY sensitive and is KILLER on the bass!

Try it, I think you'll agree.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:19 am

vishus wrote:How about BOTH!?!

I LOVE braid for my main line, 10-65# and then a good fluorocarbon leader. Use the Alberto/mod-Albright knot and you are golden! I think it's the best of both worlds.

For example my jig setup is a 7'1" MH with a Steez baitcaster spooled with 50# braid and connected to a 8' fluorocarbon leader. With 3/8-5/8oz jigs this setup is DEADLY sensitive and is KILLER on the bass!

The fluoro leader works good for clear water/abrasion resistance/shock absorption if you choose braid as your main line. It depends if you want slack line sensitivity or not. There's still little to zero slack line sensitivity this way (a wire on the end of the limp rope doesn't make the rope transmit vibrations better).

My friend that fishes worms/jigs on a tight line sometimes starts the day with a leader...after reties from snags/bait changes, he'll spend 5 minutes trying to tie a jig onto the last 6 inches of leader instead of just tying a new one on :lol:. By the end of the day he's tying directly to the braid. I told him he works hard at being lazy :lol:

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:34 pm

vinnieb729 wrote:
vishus wrote:How about BOTH!?!

The fluoro leader works good for clear water/abrasion resistance/shock absorption if you choose braid as your main line. It depends if you want slack line sensitivity or not. There's still little to zero slack line sensitivity this way (a wire on the end of the limp rope doesn't make the rope transmit vibrations better).

My friend that fishes worms/jigs on a tight line sometimes starts the day with a leader...after reties from snags/bait changes, he'll spend 5 minutes trying to tie a jig onto the last 6 inches of leader instead of just tying a new one on :lol:. By the end of the day he's tying directly to the braid. I told him he works hard at being lazy :lol:
Hey Vinnie, do you think he might just be a little cheap? We could pass the hat around to get him a new spool of Flouro :big grin:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:56 am

Braid is lighter and it billows in the wind with lighter jigs and worms. This makes them less efficient with things like senkos or light finesse. Yes, shallow water grass applications need braid to quickly pull bass and lures from the grass and this is the most important thing to consider, but braid is not always the best choice.

Guys keep starting threads on here about how they only fish braid, but they rarely take the time to explain where or how they fish. I would like them see them to show up to a big national circuit with their rods all rigged with braid. They will donate.

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:11 am

vinnieb729 wrote:It's exactly as you said. Braid has very little to zero slack line sensitivity (think of a rope) and floats. Fluoro has very good slack line sensitivity (think of a wire) and sinks.

Great analogy! =D>