Co-Polymer for Topwater?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
jtrotter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Co-Polymer for Topwater?

Post by jtrotter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:43 am

not used co-polymer line todate and thinking of testing a few out.. i have read alot and a couple of thing are not clear based on my research:

1) Co-polymer lines are denser than Mono but are they still good to use for Topwater baits or do they sink too fast and take away action? If ok for Topwater, which brands are best for this ?

2) Knot strength... i have seen alot of postings claiming better and worse knot strength vs Mono?

Thanks
JT

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Co-Polymer for Topwater?

Post by steve1206 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:26 am

I think there is some confusion on co-polymer vs. a hybrid/fused/coated line. Co-polymer and mono are essentially the same thing. Basically a company uses more than one "ingredient" or type of nylon, and they market as copolymer. Now, if you have a hybrid/coated/fused line that had a fluorocarbon component, then you would be dealing with a line that may sink faster than a "regular" mono. If its a copolymer simply because there is multiple nylon "ingredients", you still essentially have a mono.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Copolymer lines can be made to sink or float depending on the intention of the manufacture.

SCSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SCSS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:49 pm

If you're looking for a copoly that is pretty buoyant try Izorline platinum. I use the 12 pound for Steelhead float fishing and it stays at or very near the surface no matter how much line I've got out. very limp with good knot strength too.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:41 am

slipperybob wrote:Copolymer lines can be made to sink or float depending on the intention of the manufacture.
What is an example of a line made of a combination of nylon polymers that floats? (And by "float," do you mean that the line will return to the surface after being submerged if no weight holds it down?)

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Copoly is really just a buzz word today - there are probably only a handful of 100% nylons left on the market, almost all labeled mono are a mix now, same as copoly. (but there are of course all different formulas)

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:02 am

Gary, my understanding is that almost all of what we loosely call monofilament lines (excluding fluorocarbons, though they, too, are are single-filament lines) are made of 100% nylon, except for lubricants that are added to some lines. What we have very few of any more are lines made of just one monomer of nylon. Most are made of polymers (a blend of different nylon monomers), and some--the copolymers--are made of a combination of polymers.

skeletor6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by skeletor6 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:46 pm

I've tried using Yozuri Hybrid 12lb for topwater presentations. I feel the line did not work well for the technique. YZH sinks somewhat and was causing the bait to not fish as true as it would with a monofilament line.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:17 am

skeletor6 wrote:I've tried using Yozuri Hybrid 12lb for topwater presentations. I feel the line did not work well for the technique. YZH sinks somewhat and was causing the bait to not fish as true as it would with a monofilament line.
+1

I have similar experiences with YZH. I use Big Game every time I throw my topwaters.