Best fishing knot (from line to hook)

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Flathead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best fishing knot (from line to hook)

Post by Flathead » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:00 am

What fishing knot do you guys use, i usually use the fish n fool knot for most of my fishing, Do people have any better suggestions.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Best fishing knot (from line to hook)

Post by DUZBASS » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:01 am

depends on the line material, I use the trilene knot for mono, copoly, and fluoro and the palomar for braid. I have tried many others but these have been the most dependable for me.

Flathead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Flathead » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:07 am

If you are
DUZBASS wrote:depends on the line material, I use the trilene knot for mono, copoly, and fluoro and the palomar for braid. I have tried many others but these have been the most dependable for me.
In that case why not just use Palomar for all (better for braid then trilene), they are both 100% knots and basically tested the same for fluro and mono on knot wars.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:08 am

Improved clinch knot for me, except with fluoro.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:07 am

Flathead wrote:If you are
DUZBASS wrote:depends on the line material, I use the trilene knot for mono, copoly, and fluoro and the palomar for braid. I have tried many others but these have been the most dependable for me.
In that case why not just use Palomar for all (better for braid then trilene), they are both 100% knots and basically tested the same for fluro and mono on knot wars.
I don't use the trilene for braid, I use the palomar, as I stated :-k

The palomar is certainly not a 100% strength knot and can be a major pain in the ass tying on multi-treble baits, the trilene knot has served me well for years, and when tied properly rarely fails.

TT's Fluoro review had no lines break at the palomar knot at the tested strength, only 2 made it to even 90%

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:03 am

i use a double line clinch knot also known as the jim porter knot. it works on any line that you fish with, braid, flouro, and mono. i use 4 turns on flouro and mono but 6 turns on braid, easy to tie and always reliable.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:26 am

Doubled Uni is what I use 90% of the time on all lines. If I'm using a lure/hook with a really small & hard to double through eye, I'll use an Improved Clinch.

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:54 pm

I was a 100% palomar guy until recently. Now I'm experimenting with a few different knots for fluoro and braid, specifically the doubled uni (aka doubled uni slip knot), double san diego jam knnot, and shaw grigbsy knot. I may still stick with the palomar for coply.

Mags00
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mags00 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:53 pm

I've tied everything from 4# P-Line Halo to a hook to 50# Cajun braid to a swivel (Catfish rig) with a Palomar and double overhand knot and in 10+ years of fishing never had issues with slips bad knots. I mainly use it because it's fast and very strong, I think it's mostly preference for all 3 but some people call me crazy when I tie my catfish rig with a Palomar...

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:30 pm

That double line clinch knot is a good one but I also like e double San Diego jam knot just as much

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:24 pm

ian miller knot.

Google it....Use it

There was a knot testing station at a big saltwater show a few weeks back... All tuna and swordfish junkies (me included)

We got to tie our own knots. Out of the 30 or so knots tied before me. Mine beat all of em. And its easier to tie than many traditional knots....

That said...joining braid to mono/ fluoro......I'll use a uni for fw bass...As i want a weaker terminal knot as to not bust off the whole rig.

For all FW bass braid direct applications. I use a uni.
No need to waste braid with polomars. As its plenty strong for all applications.

ClearCreek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ClearCreek » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:ian miller knot.

Google it....Use it

There was a knot testing station at a big saltwater show a few weeks back... All tuna and swordfish junkies (me included)

We got to tie our own knots. Out of the 30 or so knots tied before me. Mine beat all of em. And its easier to tie than many traditional knots....

That said...joining braid to mono/ fluoro......I'll use a uni for fw bass...As i want a weaker terminal knot as to not bust off the whole rig.

For all FW bass braid direct applications. I use a uni.
No need to waste braid with polomars. As its plenty strong for all applications.
I googled it and all I got was that it is a good knot, but no instructions on how to tie it. Your suggestion of where to find how to tie the knot?

ClearCreek

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:15 am

Flathead wrote:What fishing knot do you guys use, i usually use the fish n fool knot for most of my fishing, Do people have any better suggestions.
Fishing Fool for braid unless snelling a straight shank hook.

San Diego Jam for mono & fluoro.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Try Joe Miller Knot.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:39 am

An excellent knot for heavier lines. Does not perform as well on lighter lines.