How is your PP Slick holding up?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

How is your PP Slick holding up?

Post by WoodT » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Wanted to check in with those that had been able to get some hard time on their PP Slick 8.

I just used mine on reels for about half a season. Loved the stuff, though I miss that nice Gore Tex center my (louder) 832 has. Still feel like 832 is stronger, all things held equal...but slick is nice stuff.

The nice initial coating is long gone, and I will probably respool to reverse the line. However...anyone noticing any accelerated breakage over time?

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: How is your PP Slick holding up?

Post by John Puckett » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:43 pm

This will be an interesting thread for me to follow because I just spooled three reels (2 casting 1 spinning) with S8S this past week. Still waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can try it out.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:57 pm

I fished S8S on 4 of my five most used set-ups other being Nanofil, from Mar to Nov. Two spinning 10# each and two BC's 15# each no leaders. I dont catch big fish so really not straining the line often. Nothing much to complain about knots held great, very quiet, fraying non-issue. I guess one area is from say a backlash and you pick it out there are times I picked the weave loose a bit but give line a tug and it tightens back up.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Fray...Fray...Fray...Fray - Not so good. Sticking with Sufix performance braid

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Fray...Fray...Fray...Fray - Not so good. Sticking with Sufix performance braid
I had the opposite experience with 20# SPB it frayed much worse and the noise was very loud and just feels rough in camparision.

SmallieSmasher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SmallieSmasher » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:05 pm

I worried about the quality of the PowerPro Super Slick from day ONE. Also it tends to rub all of it's coating over your thumb, then getting all over your reel. Not happy at all, never use this stuff again...

FishG3
Angler
Angler

Post by FishG3 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:38 pm

The color wore off very quickly and it frayed like none other. Had it spooled up on two reels for about 2 weeks then I threw it in the trash. I'll stick with Sufix 832.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:55 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:there are times I picked the weave loose a bit but give line a tug and it tightens back up.
Yeah, I don't like that and see it happen with mine a lot (not just with backlashes as much as "snags" that seem to happen with it...not sure about a good example, not talking about rocks or grass...out of the water handling, basically). That would happen to a lesser degree with 832, but 832 always has that sweet gore tex core and i dont wonder as much about whether strength gets compromised. That really is a nice feature.

Oh well. Will re-spool from the backing and see. It's too bad, as it is more quiet than Sufix 832 for me. And I really like the initial feel, though it's fine broken in.

I don't have the color bleed issue with this or 832, but I always go hi vis yellow with PPS8 or lime green with Sufix 832.

Thanks for the input, men. Rally rally.

phiten
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by phiten » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:06 pm

832 vs SS8
3 0

reasons
1) slick should be written as stick
2) for the same test, i feel slick is thick
3) slick appears to fray quicker than 832
all these were seem on baitcast reels only

iowafshrmn
Angler
Angler

Post by iowafshrmn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:26 pm

phiten wrote:832 vs SS8
3 0

reasons
1) slick should be written as stick
2) for the same test, i feel slick is thick
3) slick appears to fray quicker than 832
all these were seem on baitcast reels only
X2

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 pm

I fished some 65# and 80# with mono leaders for throwing big baits and I didn't have any problems with it, granted I'm not exactly spending a real lot of time on the water so ya know. The initial coating did wear off but it's still quieter than 832. The reduced noise of the slick is the only real benefit I can see over other traditional loud braids. There may be other things about it that make it better (or worse) say in lab tests or something but superficially, the reduced noise is it's apparent advantage. One that I appreciate.

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Fray...Fray...Fray...Fray - Not so good. Sticking with Sufix performance braid
X2
The fraying and color fading are the worst I have experienced in any braid. I will stick with regular PP.

I was hoping that I maybe just bought a bad spool but I guess not.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 pm

I used half of spool of 50lb PP Slick 8 on my jig set-up early this past Summer. Then I switched back to using the regular PP Spectra. The strands on Slick 8 tend to unravel a little when I cut the line to tie on lures. And not too fond of the color selection - Aqua Green looks like Moss Green PP when the color has faded. It is a little smoother and quieter than regular PP. But when I use braid, I'm usually fishing in some thick stuff. And for that, I prefer good old reliable PP Spectra.

Bryan Capes
Angler
Angler

Post by Bryan Capes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:33 pm

I tried the timber brown color as I thought it would be good for stealth. It was waaaaay too visible for my taste in even dingy water.

Tearitup66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Tearitup66 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:18 pm

Didn't want to hear this as I spooled up all three of my musky reels with 80lb and my revo mgx with 15lb. I think I will start replacing some of my reels with some other braid probably before I even use it. Complete waste of money. I've read on musky forums the same exact problems. And the last thing I need is problems.