17lb NanoFil on baitcaster

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

17lb NanoFil on baitcaster

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:31 pm

I'm interested in trying the new 17lb test NanoFil on a light duty finesse baitcaster to throw some top water poppers, walkers and smaller to medium hard jerkbaits with. Is anyone ahead of me on this and willing to share their experience before I spend the cash and change lines.

oe

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 17lb NanoFil on baitcaster

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:00 pm

i tried 6lb nanofil on my stradic 1000 and 12lb on my premier. I would like to give it a positive review but i can't. I had 3 lines break and the line doesn't lay smooth on the spool. I was so disappointed in the line i took it off after 1 outing.

-1 in my books, i'll stick to 832.
Let's go fishing!!!

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:28 am

muskyhunter wrote:i tried 6lb nanofil on my stradic 1000 and 12lb on my premier. I would like to give it a positive review but i can't. I had 3 lines break and the line doesn't lay smooth on the spool. I was so disappointed in the line i took it off after 1 outing.

-1 in my books, i'll stick to 832.
+1

Didn't like the line personally. I would think the line would dig like a mother on a baitcaster since I find the line is like dental floss and not all that round.
Instagram @___bradb

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:18 am

The 17lb test is labeled to be 0.010" diameter... about the same as 8lb test XL. That's pretty skinny for most baitcasting but doable. I've been throwing 15lb test Spiderwire Ultra-cast on a small Morrum for the techniques I mentioned above... it's labeled a little thinner than the 17lb NanoFil. I'm going to give it a try and will report back on here when I've fished it a couple of times.

oe

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:45 am

I've got 4 & 8lb on spinning set-ups & really like the line. Only breakoffs I had were when I got stupid & zipped up my knots without thinking about how thin the line is and the casting & sensitivity is great. Don't know or care about visibility, that's something that's more in people's head than anything(unless you're fishing 20' clear lakes, then I can see the point) & diameter probably has more to do with it than anything IMO. I'd guess the 17 should work on baitcasters, especially casters set up for smaller diameter lines with lower line capacity, but I'd be on the lookout for dig-in when applying a good amount of pressure.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:27 am

KCL... We seem to be from the same neck of the woods. Do you fish the Iowa Great Lakes?

My fishing and hook setting style minimizes spool dig in. I prefer a quick sharp hook set and lead them to my net rather than to cross their eyes and ski them back to the boat. I'm still anticipating a little more dig in with NanoFil. A very tight initial spooling will help as well.

oe

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:58 pm

I haven't fished the IGL yet, although I'd like to. I'm shore bound for the time being with a bunch of good farmer ponds being my primary stomping grounds for now. I have a friend with a Lund 1900 Pro V, but he doesn't get it out all that much & he likes going many different places & has many that want to go with him, that'd be my best chance to get out on the water up there anytime soon. Storm Lake is a lot closer & I've got out on that a couple times with him, but I'm not a huge fan of the town or the lake. I do get up to the Pure outlet every few months, really wish I could get up there more with some of the deals I've seen in there.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:07 pm

2 things,
1st 6# goes on my reel great (supreme xt) not an issue could be the stradic my stradic line lay isnt the greatest with PPS8S but lays nice on my pflueger as well.

2nd they mention in the video on the link 12#nano with Skeet Reese throwing it on a baitcaster for distance he gets the most with it.

http://www.advancedangler.com/featurear ... ng%20Tests

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 pm

OkobojiEagle wrote:17lb NanoFil. I'm going to give it a try and will report back on here when I've fished it a couple of times.

oe
Can you report on this?

Can anyone else report on how the 17 lb. works on their baitcaster?

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:01 am

Bronzeye... So far, so good. Not one negative unless you consider that it needs a "break in" period to "limp up" a little. I spent several hours on my dock casting spinnerbaits. Been using it on one of my Morrum SX1601c-mag reels. Increased casting distance isn't as pronounced on my bait casting gear as it is with spinning gear, but sensitivity is good. My confidence is growing in this line.

oe

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:24 am

Thanks, OkobojiEagle. My big concern has been whether there would be line dig-in. Apparently not, at least with the winding pattern of your Morrum and the resistance of your spinnerbaits, and that's good news. Do you know whether the Morrum has a faster line-guide traverse than one finds on Daiwa or Shimano baitcasters? (I recall that Abu Garcia touted a "Triple X" winding pattern on some of its round reels that was supposed to prevent braid dig-in.)

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:34 am

Yes, my Morrums have the Triple X line pawl a feature that manages thin diameter lines quite well.

oe

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:35 pm

OkobojiEagle wrote:Bronzeye... So far, so good. Not one negative unless you consider that it needs a "break in" period to "limp up" a little. I spent several hours on my dock casting spinnerbaits. Been using it on one of my Morrum SX1601c-mag reels. Increased casting distance isn't as pronounced on my bait casting gear as it is with spinning gear, but sensitivity is good. My confidence is growing in this line.

oe
Curious to know if you've found an advantage to Nanofil in your application over a "traditional" braid. On my spinning rigs I feel I get better distance, but I can see how that won't necessarily translate to BC gear. The spool momentum and intertia are the limiting factors there. So is the Nano better, worse or just different on the BC?

Joe C.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Joe... I'd put my mark in the "just different" column if talking about line management. I think there is a little better "bite recognition" with NanoFil over other PE lines, including fused lines. This trait difference magnifies itself with slack line. I'm using this rod/reel/line combo to fish top water and hard jerkbaits, presentations that often encourage "slack line bites".

oe

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:52 am

Is it still working out? I just put 14lbs Nanofil on a Sol baitcaster that I upgraded to carbon drag washer. Been using Nanofil the last 3 years. Don't know why I didn't think about putting the thicker Nanofil on a baitcaster. Seems perfect, a little memory like mono and a little stiff but that will go away. The 14lbs looks and act like a thin Trilene XL 8lbs, an old favorite. Got tired of tip wrap saltwater fishing with 20lbs Suffix Super Braid. I spooled it tight and crank the drag down to 5lbs and pulled. No line dig in. Right now I'm thinking the best of both world. The manageability of the mono without the stretch and no excessive limpness with regular braid. I'll let you know if I change my mind after snapping off the first topwater plug :laugh1: .

Only problem I see now that Nanofil is so slick and since 14 lbs is thick, it has a hard time grabbing the 25lb fluro with the FG knot. I had to run it around an old wooden chopstick a few time to get the coating to come off so I can tie knot with it. This won't be a problem after 20 fish or so.

And I agree with you. This is an exceptionally sensitive line even when slack.