Fluro recommendations for finesse fishing

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Fluro recommendations for finesse fishing

Post by Inspectorlee » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:40 pm

There is a series of ponds that I frequently fish, with many big largemouth bass residing in them (I can visually see them on each trip). However, they frequently turn their noses up at my offerings, and I'm starting to wonder if it might be due to my line (10 lb hi-vis yellow PowerPro). Now, I am a pretty firm believer that most fish don't really care about the presence of a line, even hi-vis yellow braid, because I have caught dinks all the way up to a 22 inch largemouth with this line. But I'm willing to explore my options, and I do have an extra spool sitting empty, just waiting for some different line. My criteria/info is listed below, with the important parts in bold:

The Setup
Rod: 6'3" medium power Fenwick Elite-Tech Smallmouth
Reel: Pflueger Supreme XT, size 25 (spinning)
Line: I would prefer 6 lb, maybe 8 lb.
Lure: weightless plastics, plastics on a 1/16 to 1/8 jighead
Method: I will mostly work weightless plastics (75%) but will occasionally dropshot or use plastics on a very light jighead

The Pond
Water: tea colored, good clarity
Bottom: leaf/dirt
Structure: fallen timber, lots of it
Depth: it maxs out at about 6-8 ft
Fish: largemouth bass, but the pond does contain pickeral and yellow perch
Other notes: I will be fishing from shore only.

The only fluro I have tried was Berkley Vanish, and I got rid of it after about using it on a dozen fishing trips. I was able to snap 6 lb Vanish with my hands, at the (freshly tied) knot, making me lose confidence in it. My friend does have a spool of Seaguar Invisx, but it is 12 lb diameter, and I don't want to go that high. My main concerns/considerations are the small size of my reel, and the abundance of fallen timber. I have read threads on this sub-forum, going back a year, to find some advice. But is there such a thing as a finesse fluro, in the 6 lb range that I'm seeking? And with the ability to deal with abrasion from fallen timber? I know that there might not be a line that can fit all the criteria I'm seeking, but if push comes to shove, I'll make some concessions where needed.

Basically, I'm looking for a fluro that is castable on my spinning reel, is thin enough to fit on my small spool, and will be able to stand up to fallen timber a few times. Thanks in advance, and I'll check any replies daily. Hopefully that spare spool won't have to sit empty much longer.
Last edited by Inspectorlee on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fluro recommendations for finesse fishing

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:10 am

Man that's a tough one. I guess my concern with fishing light line around all that flooded timber would be loosing fish. Once it pulls you under or around it you can kiss it bye bye. And it will go where it wants, you can't horse it on 6 pound fluoro. If I were gonna tackle that pond I think I would use a 10 pound braid (not yellow) green or white, and tie on a 14 pound test fluoro of your choice with an albright connection knot. If your dead set on an 8 pound test (don't go any lower) I would likely use something other that pure fluoro like P-Line floroclear, or Sufix seige clear mono as a leader. I know you will get her out of there with that. Good luck

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:19 pm

I have had good luck with Sunline Sniper on spinning reels but if I am fishing around standing timber from the bank I would have to go with braid. You really don't want anything over 8 lb fluoro on spinning reels because anything over that becomes too hard to manage and 8 lb is not strong enough for pulling bass out of cover in my opinion.

meach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by meach » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:48 pm

I use 8pm Cajun floro I like it better than invisix make sure to use line conditioner to keep your line manageable ...I use that in open water for heavily weeded or fallen timber I use my braided spool and have a 3ft leader of 10lb floro ...
You must unlearn what you have learned

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:26 pm

I have had a lot of success with 7lb Cajun and 7lb Sunline Sniper fluorocarbons. I do also like 8lb Vanish Transition Gold a lot. I have used that for the last 4 years and it has been awesome.

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:45 pm

I like Tatsu in 6- and 8-pound tests.

But, given that you're fishing from shore, I'd suggest using it as a long leader tied on to the end of your braid. This will help you with your the hookset (with fluoro, the more you have out, the stretchier it feels, unlike braid. Fixing the length of fluoro means the amount of stretch will be more constant). It's also more economical, since it's pretty expensive to use it as a main line.

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Inspectorlee » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up using Seaguar Invizx 8 lb (I could find/inspect it locally). I've used it on 5 trips so far, and it's pretty good. I've had the chance to test it's abrasion resistance a few times, since some of the larger bass made a few runs into the wood piles, and I had to pull them back out (carefully of course). The feeling when a fish is on is noticeably different from what it felt like when using PowerPro. I think I actually like the feeling of the Invizx more actually, probably because of the slight stretch. It seems about as sensitive as PowerPro, maybe due to my line usually having some slack in it at most times. I'll try it out for another month or so before making any final conclusions though.

Biggest fish so far was a 22 inch largemouth, followed by a 19 inch largemouth, guessing around 4 lbs. Thanks again for the suggestions, I will probably try Sunline Sniper next if I can find/feel/look at it locally. Line is such an important thing, that I'm hesitant to buy it sight unseen.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:34 am

I like to see my line. I use yellow or orange suffix or daiwa samurai with 8-12lb invizx leader.

Great combo.
Let's go fishing!!!

Dabluz
Angler
Angler

Post by Dabluz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Inspectorlee wrote:There is a series of ponds that I frequently fish, with many big largemouth bass residing in them (I can visually see them on each trip). However, they frequently turn their noses up at my offerings, and I'm starting to wonder if it might be due to my line (10 lb hi-vis yellow PowerPro). Now, I am a pretty firm believer that most fish don't really care about the presence of a line, even hi-vis yellow braid, because I have caught dinks all the way up to a 22 inch largemouth with this line. But I'm willing to explore my options, and I do have an extra spool sitting empty, just waiting for some different line. My criteria/info is listed below, with the important parts in bold:

The Setup
Rod: 6'3" medium power Fenwick Elite-Tech Smallmouth
Reel: Pflueger Supreme XT, size 25 (spinning)
Line: I would prefer 6 lb, maybe 8 lb.
Lure: weightless plastics, plastics on a 1/16 to 1/8 jighead
Method: I will mostly work weightless plastics (75%) but will occasionally dropshot or use plastics on a very light jighead

The Pond
Water: tea colored, good clarity
Bottom: leaf/dirt
Structure: fallen timber, lots of it
Depth: it maxs out at about 6-8 ft
Fish: largemouth bass, but the pond does contain pickeral and yellow perch
Other notes: I will be fishing from shore only.

The only fluro I have tried was Berkley Vanish, and I got rid of it after about using it on a dozen fishing trips. I was able to snap 6 lb Vanish with my hands, at the (freshly tied) knot, making me lose confidence in it. My friend does have a spool of Seaguar Invisx, but it is 12 lb diameter, and I don't want to go that high. My main concerns/considerations are the small size of my reel, and the abundance of fallen timber. I have read threads on this sub-forum, going back a year, to find some advice. But is there such a thing as a finesse fluro, in the 6 lb range that I'm seeking? And with the ability to deal with abrasion from fallen timber? I know that there might not be a line that can fit all the criteria I'm seeking, but if push comes to shove, I'll make some concessions where needed.

Basically, I'm looking for a fluro that is castable on my spinning reel, is thin enough to fit on my small spool, and will be able to stand up to fallen timber a few times. Thanks in advance, and I'll check any replies daily. Hopefully that spare spool won't have to sit empty much longer.

That's an easy question to answer. Use 8 lb test Fireline or maybe 6 lb test Fireline or bettery yet....Nanofil.