should I try seaguar or sunline?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

should I try seaguar or sunline?

Post by agggh » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:35 pm

Hey everyone im gonna give fluoro a shot this year. Im still unsure about flouro so I dont want to spend a ton of money. Would seagaur red label or sunline super fluorocarbon be better? OR trilene, even though i am not crazy about trilene.

Which one would have less breakoffs, and better casting. And longer lasting?

I plan on using it on my jig rod. In either 15 lb or 16 lb test. I was planning on getting seagaur, but I just noticed sunline had that cheaper fluoro.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: should I try seaguar or sunline?

Post by Nytron » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:17 pm

agggh wrote:Hey everyone im gonna give fluoro a shot this year. Im still unsure about flouro so I dont want to spend a ton of money. Would seagaur red label or sunline super fluorocarbon be better? OR trilene, even though i am not crazy about trilene.

I plan on using it on my jig rod. In either 15 lb or 16 lb test. I was planning on getting seagaur, but I just noticed sunline had that cheaper fluoro.
Go with sunline or toray. The thing with fluoro is, you will end up spending a ton of money. Cheap fluoro is usually terrible, so you only want the good stuff in your tackle box (unless you want to lose a trophy fish). I've noticed sunline to be stiffer but more abrasion resistant than Seaguar I've tried (invizx and abrazx). Where Abrazx would knick, sunline seems to just sort of "dent" (e.g. after catching a bass and the teeth rub on the line). So basically I found myself not having to re-tie my fluoro leaders as often, abrasion resistance is of #1 importance to me when it comes to fluoro.

Next year I plan on trying Blackwater Shock Leader for freshwater bass to see if it is more bombproof than regular mainline fluoro. The line is made by Toray, which is the company Sunline gets it's fluoro material from.

agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by agggh » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks for the advice. I threw stren fluoro as leader material for jigs on 50 lb braid. It worked great and I never broke off even one fish.

I was afraid that going cheap would end up causing me more trouble. Maybe ill just step it up and buy a expensive fluoro.

How long would a decent fluoro last? and how long would something good like toray last?

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:27 am

agggh wrote:Thanks for the advice. I threw stren fluoro as leader material for jigs on 50 lb braid. It worked great and I never broke off even one fish.

I was afraid that going cheap would end up causing me more trouble. Maybe ill just step it up and buy a expensive fluoro.

How long would a decent fluoro last? and how long would something good like toray last?
You get what you pay for when it comes to Flouro. I can easily get 1 season out of Toray Superhard and have gone 2 seasons on a couple of reels. How long it lasts really depends on how often you change baits and how often you backlash. I just started using Sunline Sniper and Shooter so time will tell how this compares to Toray.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:58 am

I've tried both. I used to use red label because it's available everywhere where as I'd have to order Sunline through an e-tailer. Not sure which Sunline FC you are going with but I am at my second season with Shooter (metan) and still good. ;)

Red label isn't too bad for what it's worth. When I used it I changed it out every season or when needed depending on how much I fish for the month or two. With red label it seems to "stretch" more easily and when FC stretches it gets weak. Have had 1 break off with red label, launching my 110 and got it back, good thing they float :lol:

Anyway you won't be disappointed with Sunline, well Shooter for me has been great. Haven't tried Sniper yet. Can't wait to try their new line too.
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:00 am

if your barely jumping in on the fluoro bandwagon just get some BPS fluoro good line for the money.

BPS is going to have their sping classic sales and its usually on sale for around $13 a spool of 200 yds, if I'm not mistaken Toray or some other Japanese makes it for them.

It amuses me that Fluoro has been out some time and people still fish with mono ](*,) on a $1000 combo and are hard pressed to shell out the money for it stating its too expensive.

Mono makes your NRX or GLX feel like your fishing an uglystick.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

cjr4497
Angler
Angler

Post by cjr4497 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:12 am

agggh wrote:Hey everyone im gonna give fluoro a shot this year. Im still unsure about flouro so I dont want to spend a ton of money. Would seagaur red label or sunline super fluorocarbon be better? OR trilene, even though i am not crazy about trilene.

I have used red label for two years now, and i used sunline super in 16 and 20 pound this past weekend on toledo bend. I am really liking the sunline super. it casted well, never got nicked, never broke, and was managable. seemed to have really good sensitivity too. the sunline super is a few bucks more and casts and handles better than the red label and other more expensive fluoros.

the super is my fourth venture into the sub $20 fluorocarbon segment. so far it is winning with red label right behind. vanish and vicious are light years behind these two.

good fluoro lasts much longer than mono. depending on how much you re-tie or how much you nick the line up it could last several years. i only change it when my spool gets low. i have a few reels still wearing 4 year old pline halo.

most of the breaking issues people have with fluoro comes from poor knot tying skills and kinking the line while backlashing/picking backlashes. don't yank on it while picking a backlash. just go easy with it and take your time. use a good fluorocarbon knot such as a uni-knot with the line passed through the eye twice. wet the line well and don't sinch the tag end up all the way until you have slid the knot down to the hook eye.

finally, of the line you were curious about, i am sure you can tell i am steering you towards the sunline super, and i am. however, seaguar invizx is a great line for a first time fluoro user even thought it costs a bit more. it handles extremely well and has the best knot strength of any fluoro except one or two extremely expensive offerings. invizx in 20 pound is the same diameter as most 17 pound mono and will cast well. i have used it a lot for jig fishing in heavy cover and have never had a problem. to me it is more abrasion resistant than abrazx.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 pm

Give Seaguar InvizX a shot first and just see how you like it. I wouldn't start off with the most expensive because you're going to waste your money.

In fact. I would recommend that you try P-Line Fluorocarbon first. It's soft and supple and a little more abrasion resistant than InvizX...at least IMO.

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:24 pm

I personally suggest Seaguar Invizx for a starter fluoro line. It seems to handle better than all but the really expensive fluoro lines for me. It has lower memory and a little more stretch than most others, and it also seems to be more backlash resistant if that makes any sense.

Invizx also seems to last longer than equivalent lines, like Sunline Super FC Sniper. I have one reel that I spooled in October 2011 with 10lb. Sniper, and it's already losing that smoothness of new line and starting to look slightly milky in color. This is with the reel staying in an air conditioned room any time it's not in use, and having only been used maybe 10 times since putting the line on the spool.

I have some 6lb. Invizx on a spinning reel that I put on almost exactly 2 years ago and used regularly, and it hasn't deteriorated as much as the Sniper has. I almost never leave line on my reels that long, but I haven't really felt like it needs to be changed yet since it's still really smooth and clear, and hasn't broken on a fish yet.

I have used Invizx in 8-12lb. on several casting reels and left it on there for over a year before changing it on most of them, and I never really noticed any loss in strength or ease of handling in any of them.

Basically, just try Seaguar Invizx. :D

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:49 pm

I fished seagar invisix for 2 seasons. I'm switching to yo zuri hybrid this year to save $. I have some strong opinions about invisix but this is just my personal experience.

Invisix is a great open water line. Ive horsed giant smallmouth on 6 and 8 lb off beds with no issue. Its not good if you are fishing around a lot of structure. it's not abrasion resistant and broke my heart on numerous occasions so be prepared to re-tie often! Invisix casts as good if not better than any mono I've fished and is very sensitive but unlike most floro lines it seemed to stretch a lot. It's especially great on spinning equipment because it's supple with very little memory.

In the end it was just to expensive for me given the performance. My thinking is that it's a great line but only for certain applications. I can't report on red label or sun line.

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Is better to fish with braid+fluorocarbon leader(and more economic).
Jean

"BORN TO FISH,FORCED TO WORK"