832 vs Samurai for finesse Spinning

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Stratos
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

832 vs Samurai for finesse Spinning

Post by Stratos » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:02 am

I have narrowed down my search for a good braided line to 832 and Samurai. I will be using a Stradic Ci4 2500 on a DX742SF for shakyheads, grubs, and some dropshotting. I noticed the diameter of Samurai is a little smaller than 832, so I guess you would have to compare 20lb 832 vs 30lb Samurai. Please don't include the price into the decision. I just want to know your opinions if you have used either or both. I have used power pro and have been quite happy, but I have been reading that these 2 braids would be better for Spinning setups.

Thank you

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 832 vs Samurai for finesse Spinning

Post by phatbass » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:36 pm

I use the 20lb 4 daimeter samuari and hav'nt found a better braid yet,as far as casting and and how quiet it is,also its very limp. I want to try the power pro super slick,it felt real smooth at the store.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:23 am

Something to consider on Samurai:
I've seen some independent tests on breaking strength of most of the mainstream braids, as well as personal experience. A 20 lb Samurai will break at 20 lbs only on a tensile strength test. Once you add a knot to the equation it is going to break a bit lighter (20-30%)...so maybe 15-17 lbs

Samurai is labeled with its tensile strength, while the rest of the industry is labeling with knot strength. All PE lines tend to suffer greatly in overall strength when knots are tied and as such most companies account for this and label with knot strength. 40 pound power pro, 832, and others will break at over 50 lbs on a tensile strength test but once you put a knot in there it is back down around 40.

This labeling difference accounts for the Samurai's thinner diameter. Samurai is good braid but don't buy it only because it is the thinner of the two 20 lb lines...

832 is great, but two things on 832. In non-marine environs this line will sink slowly (< 1 in /sec) due to the added Gore fiber (most braids float). In marine environs I consider this stuff intermediate - It doesn't float like most PE lines, but it doesn't have negative buoyancy either. This is something to consider if you are fishing specific sink rate lures (this stuff in a 10 lb. is great for deep diving crankbaits). Also, this line will be dry by the time it gets to the reel which has been an unexpected obstacle on some of my conventional surf reels. This dryness tends to burn my thumb a bit more on a 100yd+ cast than other lines due to dryness as well as on retrieve with these reels that do not have a levelwind as I use my thumb to move the line around..YEEEOOCH. But I'm a fisherman with fisherman hands and I can handle it... but if you're and indoor type with keyboard soft hands you may not like it.

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:40 pm

Seph wrote:Something to consider on Samurai:
I've seen some independent tests on breaking strength of most of the mainstream braids, as well as personal experience. A 20 lb Samurai will break at 20 lbs only on a tensile strength test. Once you add a knot to the equation it is going to break a bit lighter (20-30%)...so maybe 15-17 lbs

Samurai is labeled with its tensile strength, while the rest of the industry is labeling with knot strength. All PE lines tend to suffer greatly in overall strength when knots are tied and as such most companies account for this and label with knot strength. 40 pound power pro, 832, and others will break at over 50 lbs on a tensile strength test but once you put a knot in there it is back down around 40.

This labeling difference accounts for the Samurai's thinner diameter. Samurai is good braid but don't buy it only because it is the thinner of the two 20 lb lines...
Excellent info, and it explains why I was somewhat disappointed with the Samurai that I tired... poor knot strength. However, it did cast like a rocket. Perhaps I should give it another try, but this time I will buy it by diameter comparable to my 832 instead of it's stated poundage on the package... or maybe just try some PP Super Slick. :D

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:43 am

Seph wrote:Something to consider on Samurai....

Look at him, dropping knowledge already...

Welcome to the forum, buddy.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:16 am

you don't need anything more then 20lb samuari for finnesse and besides breaking strength has never been an issue with the proper knot and its still the best .

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:59 am

phatbass wrote:you don't need anything more then 20lb samuari for finnesse and besides breaking strength has never been an issue with the proper knot and its still the best .
Just curious, what knot do you use to tie your Samurai directly to the lure?

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:15 am

palomar

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:32 am

phatbass wrote:palomar
Thanks, I'll give it a try, but I'm not a big fan of the palomar knot on bigger lures... especially with trebles. It takes about 2 feet of line to tie the knot. :lol: Just kidding. :mrgreen:

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:05 pm

North Branch wrote:
phatbass wrote:palomar
Thanks, I'll give it a try, but I'm not a big fan of the palomar knot on bigger lures... especially with trebles. It takes about 2 feet of line to tie the knot. :lol: Just kidding. :mrgreen:
its not easy to tie with this line being so soft, but the trilene knot Iuse to use would slip.

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:31 pm

I was told, and tried the Fish-N-Fool knot that won Knot Wars. It is supposed to work well with slippery braids too. It certainly worked well with the 832 last year. If I try the Samurai again, or the the PP Super Slick I'll try them with the F-N-F knot. If that doesn't work all give the polamar knot a try.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:17 pm

monofilament to terminal = Trilene knot

PE lines to terminal = double Palomar

monofilament leader to PE main line = Alberto

oe