Spiderwire ultracast, number of carriers?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
piscamaniac
Angler
Angler

Spiderwire ultracast, number of carriers?

Post by piscamaniac » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:50 am

Hello, I've been using spiderwire ultracast in 20lb and 30lb versions for a while and find it great line, smooth with eight carriers. I've just bought a couple of 15lb labeled spools and its nowhere near as smooth. I picked the line apart and there are only four carriers: have I bought a knock off, or does thinner diameter spiderwire have less carriers?
Last edited by piscamaniac on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spiderwire ultracast, number of carriers?

Post by OkobojiEagle » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:36 am

In the past Ultra-Cast tests less than 20lb. were braided with 6 strands. I haven't purchased any of it in the past year.

oe

piscamaniac
Angler
Angler

Post by piscamaniac » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:42 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:In the past Ultra-Cast tests less than 20lb. were braided with 6 strands. I haven't purchased any of it in the past year.

oe
thanks, I may not have picked all the strands apart -I'll have to check with a better magnifier. Was there any noticeable drop in smoothness of the lower breaking strain lines compared to the 8 braid 20lb (The 15lb stuff I've got feels as rough as stren sonic braid)?

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:23 pm

"smoothness" isn't much of a priority for me so I can't accurately answer that question. I like the thin diameter and tightness of the weave. I find the "tightness of the weave" remains with the Ultra-cast where some other braided lines I've fished loosen up with use. Over all, the hi-vis yellow Ultra-cast of a couple seasons ago is a favorite braid of mine. I'm less enamored with the white which is available today. 10lb test Sufix 832 I enjoy as well, but the 20lb test was one of the lines I felt loosened up. Everybody has their favorites... your mileage may vary.

oe

piscamaniac
Angler
Angler

Post by piscamaniac » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:36 am

checked again today, definitely 4 carriers, bought from a registered pure fishing dealer (of course this doesn't preclude him selling knock offs). Maybe, like you say, the quality has fallen; the yellow stuff was very good, ironicaly I picked up all my spools of the yellow in bargain bins.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:37 pm

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of counterfit line... much more likely that I was just wrong. It happens, but I'd appreciate you not bringing this conversation up anywhere near my wife.

oe