What braid for Chonarch 50E

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
hook2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

What braid for Chonarch 50E

Post by hook2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:04 am

Looking for braid for Chonarch 50E. Got about 200 yards of Power Pro 15 lb, but I guess that it would be too thin and reel wouldn’t work proper with it. Going to choose Sufix 832, but what test is better 20lb or 30 lb?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What braid for Chonarch 50E

Post by godshippy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:00 pm

I would go with the 30#. I use 30# Spiderwire Ultra Cast on mine, and every once in a while the line really digs into itself when I'm trying to free up a snag. I could only imagine how much worse it could be with 20#...I use 20# on my spinning reels!

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:08 pm

I use 15# power pro and love it on my 50E casts like dream and never had problem with horsing fish out of cover

VRG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VRG » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:37 pm

I have been using 15 lb PowerPro on a Chronarch 50 for years with no issues.

chasenbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chasenbass » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:46 am

20lb power pro will work well!

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:43 am

ALOT of people fish with power pro, so my opinion might not sit well with some- but personally... Ive noticed power pro has really gone down in quality. Once walmart got a hold of it, it just seems like it isn't the same anymore. I used to love it, now I wouldn't fish it if it was free. It might sound like a conspiracy therory but it's not. Companies 'make changes' in manufacturing tolerances to meet the walmart and other big chain/high volume store's bulk price point. Crkt knives is one of them. I was told directly by one of their reps that the m-16 knife(could have the model number wrong) that sells at walmart is not the same as the m-16 sold at other stores. He flat out said it was junk. He also named a few other companies that do this which I won't mention.
Now that might not be the case with Power pro but that's what I'm leaning towards. I won't ever use it again, not after using Sufix performance braid. More carriers, similar price(maybe even cheaper?), casts better, more durable and probably the best all around braid out there. Check out tackletour's braid reviews, they seem to like it as well.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:38 am

Were it mine, I'd load it with 20lb test Tuf-Line. Great braid, less expensive that PP or Suffix very supple out of the box. Every reel I own is loaded with, save one which I use for flipping and has 65# test.

I found that adding different test fluro shock leaders allows you to adjust to pretty much every fishing situation. 20lb is a just strong enough to cut weeds and pull fish from cover while still fishing like light line.

My $.02 :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

heatmiser
Angler
Angler

Post by heatmiser » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:19 pm

USA-RET wrote:Were it mine, I'd load it with 20lb test Tuf-Line. Great braid, less expensive that PP or Suffix very supple out of the box.
I have been using braid for many years coming from saltwater fishing. All of my reels are loaded with braid to the top (with room for short 3'-5' topshots). One of my favorite braids is Izorline Spectra which I believe is made by Tuf-Line. One of the things I like best about it is the suppleness and consistency. There is no wax coating like Powerpro (which is a big positive for me). I rarely ever have issues with the line digging into itself (down to 30lb). When I do, it is my own fault from either stacking the line incorrectly when reeling in or holding my spool with thumb and straight-pulling my snagged jig to hard. Another excellent braid is Jerry Brown. I have not seen it mentioned in any freshwater forums but it is very highly regarded with saltwater anglers. It is very similar in feel to the Izorline Spectra.

I purchased a few of the Curado 200e7's on closeout a few months back and decided to load one up with 60lb Daiwa Samurai braid. I have had this line dig in more than any other braid I have ever used. I am amazed at how badly this digs in on itself. Much more than the Izorline Spectra or Jerry Brown (or PowerPro which I have used in the past). I know quite a few people in the freshwater community love this line but I am not one of them.

hook2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by hook2 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:17 am

Thanks to everyone who had answered.
When I've been asking about braid for Chronarch I meant test minding line digging into itself.
I guess finaly I would choose 20# for I think thinner line will give longer casting distance.

mundo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mundo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:30 am

I have beern using 30# Invisibraid with a 15# flouro leader on an Aldebaran (same spool size as the Curado 50) with great results, I do not see why 20# would not work if you are carefull with your drag setting to avoid diggin. You really need to look more into the braid diameter than the advertised pound test, it varies quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Mundo

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:30 am

I run 20# 832 on my Chronarch D7 and it works just fine. I was thinking of spooling up 10# 832 on my CU50E, which currently has 10# Fireline. When the Sufix 832 line lose it's color, it goes fast.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basswrangler » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:27 pm

ALOT of people fish with power pro, so my opinion might not sit well with some- but personally... Ive noticed power pro has really gone down in quality. Once walmart got a hold of it, it just seems like it isn't the same anymore. I used to love it, now I wouldn't fish it if it was free. It might sound like a conspiracy therory but it's not. Companies 'make changes' in manufacturing tolerances to meet the walmart and other big chain/high volume store's bulk price point. Crkt knives is one of them. I was told directly by one of their reps that the m-16 knife(could have the model number wrong) that sells at walmart is not the same as the m-16 sold at other stores. He flat out said it was junk. He also named a few other companies that do this which I won't mention.
Now that might not be the case with Power pro but that's what I'm leaning towards. I won't ever use it again, not after using Sufix performance braid. More carriers, similar price(maybe even cheaper?), casts better, more durable and probably the best all around braid out there. Check out tackletour's braid reviews, they seem to like it as well.
Though I have not noticed a change in power pro I don't doubt this for a second. I have also been told that Wal-Mart products are not the same as their identical counterparts sold in different stores. Specifically TVs, computers, etc. are made with lower quality components for Wal-Mart as opposed to those units sold in actual electronics stores.